E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE Cold Air Intake Or is all this just hot air??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Jackyboy545i
i think that answers my question rpi scoops good.....afe good for lawn mowers..ill take rpi.

Keep the aFe off the lawn mower, you don't want to hinder it's performance.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED
Keep the aFe off the lawn mower, you don't want to hinder it's performance.
You don't know what you're talking about. I just installed it and can definitely feel a power increase! It sounds sweet too...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Victory
You don't know what you're talking about. I just installed it and can definitely feel a power increase! It sounds sweet too...

LOL

dude no, consistent reliable dynos have shown the AFE intakes for our cars lose power during any form of heatsoak which is when you drive it for more than 10 minutes

a butt dyno doesnt matter or count
Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
LOL

dude no, consistent reliable dynos have shown the AFE intakes for our cars lose power during any form of heatsoak which is when you drive it for more than 10 minutes

a butt dyno doesnt matter or count

READ closely...very closely...you've missed something...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

READ closely...very closely...you've missed something...
I think and hope it's sarcasm. That get's lost often between poster>keyboard>reader...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

i am currently making a enclosed afe intake box... just dont have time to work on it completly but yeah i want to see if i can turn this hot air intake to become cold air intake...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
I think and hope it's sarcasm. That get's lost often between poster>keyboard>reader...
Actually no sarcasm - if the post was actually READ before responding one would have noticed Deranged was talking about a lawn mower...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Actually no sarcasm - if the post was actually READ before responding one would have noticed Deranged was talking about a lawn mower...
ahhh..so you meant on your lawn mower not your e60
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Members

Aftermarket intakes on naturally aspirated motors only increases one thing, intake noise. Expect zero to minimal HP gains!

On a forced induction motor, sure, there are gains to be had from cold air intakes due to cooler / denser intake air charge.

Unless you are going to do a whole bunch of other intake and exhaust mods, don't waste your money. Save up for a SC kit, or save to upgrade to a higher spec 5-series.

Just my 2c worth
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 530i-M
Aftermarket intakes on naturally aspirated motors only increases one thing, intake noise. Expect zero to minimal HP gains!

On a forced induction motor, sure, there are gains to be had from cold air intakes due to cooler / denser intake air charge.

Unless you are going to do a whole bunch of other intake and exhaust mods, don't waste your money. Save up for a SC kit, or save to upgrade to a higher spec 5-series.

Just my 2c worth
even with FI engines the result is the same: heat soak....some with N54 engines have even reported limp codes due to the heat soak of said "cold" air intakes....

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake Or is all this just hot air??