E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Advice on m5 body kit and if i got a reasonable quote?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530XI

Ok so i have a few questions...

1) Do i have to drop the car in order for the m5 body kit to look nice and proportional (I am really hesistant to dropping the car)
2) I took the car in to the wheel shop that did my wheels and they gave me a quote of 1000 for the m5 kit, and 1000 for the paint+the mufflers depending on what i want. Is that reasonable?
3) Whats the difference between the m5 style kit and the m-tech kit?
4) Will the car look retarded if i just do the front bumper and flat black grills for now??

PS My car is a 2006 gray 530XI
Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by V_Ani_ty

1) Do i have to drop the car in order for the m5 body kit to look nice and proportional (I am really hesistant to dropping the car)
2) I took the car in to the wheel shop that did my wheels and they gave me a quote of 1000 for the m5 kit, and 1000 for the paint+the mufflers depending on what i want. Is that reasonable?
4) Will the car look retarded if i just do the front bumper and flat black grills for now??

1) No you don't have to drop it to make it look cool - the kit looks cool as it is, but it will look better once dropped.
2) Before checking the wheel shop contact Nerweezy of Trinity Autosport ASAP, you're local and they hav a local shop that can o the paint and install
3) M5 Style is the replica kit, M-tech is the OEM kit that came on non-M cars with the M-sport pkg
4) dude, do what you can reasonably afford. No it will not look dumb if you do just the front bumper and grilles for now. Pace yourself and the car will be bad ass quicker than you think
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530XI

Originally Posted by pjinca
1) No you don't have to drop it to make it look cool - the kit looks cool as it is, but it will look better once dropped.
2) Before checking the wheel shop contact Nerweezy of Trinity Autosport ASAP, you're local and they hav a local shop that can o the paint and install
3) M5 Style is the replica kit, M-tech is the OEM kit that came on non-M cars with the M-sport pkg
4) dude, do what you can reasonably afford. No it will not look dumb if you do just the front bumper and grilles for now. Pace yourself and the car will be bad ass quicker than you think
Lol thanks for that reality check i dont know why i am freaking out about doing everything at once -__-
is the m-tech kit more durable than the m5 style?
I wonder which one the guy gave me a quote for.. hm
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Lol thanks for that reality check i dont know why i am freaking out about doing everything at once -__-
Both kits are durable enough, I have scraped mine a few times with no damage - other than the expected scrapes on the under side where no one can see anyways. Yeah, don't get all freaked out with the prices of everything, take your time - do it at your pace and you'll end up with a bad ass car that you'll enjoy every time you look at it.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

our M style replica parts are made out of polypropylene and are very durable
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

One key difference is that the M5 replica (or M5 OEM kit) has a bumper made for quad exhaust while the M Tech kit doesn't. Don't put on the M5 kit if you're not going to do quads cause it'll look awkward. Also, I would say the OEM M Tech kit should have better fitment.

Oh and the M5 replica kit has foglights whereas the OEM M5 kit doesn't.

Last thing...drop the car and get wheels while you're at it.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 with eurocarfan above. for the rear though, we do have a replica mtech rear available as well
Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

I prefer the M5 rep kit because it looks more aggressive than the mtech kit. the quad exhausts definitely makes the car look sportier

$1000 for paint and exhaust sounds like a very good price.

and yes, just the front bumper and black grill would look weird.... at least to me... kinda like wearing a suit with sandals
Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Mine is all BMW OEM M5 parts, M5 fenders, M5 bumpers, 166 rims, etc. that I built it for a college project, and because I like it looks, and no its not the 509ho v10, but fast enough for me, and gets decent gas
mileage 27/34mpg and one day I might drop it a few inches, but since I bought the M5 size tires I like it the way it looks now.

Good Luck with your M5 kit, but be ready to shell out some real cash if you go the BMW OEM M5 rhoute like I did, and if you do, Garry at BMW of Newport is helpful with BMW Parts advice, and has the best BMW OEM prices I found
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

Hi,

It's my understanding that If you add quads to a 6 cyclinder engine (530) you'll loose HP. It's best to stay with the dual and go with a MTech Rear Bumper and maybe install the RPI exhaust.

Quick Reply: Advice on m5 body kit and if i got a reasonable quote?