E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding TPM's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Firstly, thank you to everyone who provided their feedback in my "Regret Manual vs. Steptronic?" thread. I decided to go with the manual as I had nothing but fond memories of my past experiences with them. That, and it makes the car that much more unique along with its fairly rare anthracite wood package option.

Secondly, I'm new to the E60 world and have just purchased this 06 530i with 6M and Premium / Nav Packages tonight. The only thing I don't like is that it's not a Sport Package car like my current 02 530i SP. I'm looking into the Shadowline trim via Garry and am also looking for sportier wheels -- like these:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=56909#

These wheels do not have the TPM's. How would that work out for me? Do I buy my own (from Garry probably) and are they simple to install? Would the iDrive then pick them up/sense them? Does my car already have these installed? I have no iDrive experience, so please excuse the newb questions ...

I'm not thrilled about the Dunlop Run Flats that come with these wheels as I have read so many complaints about their stone-like feel. I can later replace them with Mich Pilot II's, right? I have only had those on my car and love 'em.

AND if you have the time: The Sport Package that came with my 02 model was more than cosmetic. It featured larger brakes, firmer / slightly lowered suspension, etc. Apparently the Sport Package on later models, like in 06, became purely cosmetic? All I have ever found listed was the Shadowline trim, Sport seats, and larger wheels as part of the package. Do I have this right?

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

First of call CONGRATS!!!! you made a excellent choice!

As far as TPMs since it is a 2006 you dont need them. The car does not have TPM buy has FTM Flat tire monitor which uses the rotational speed of the wheel and ABS sensor to detect a "flat tire" it warns you when a tire is around 7psi lower than others.

The sport package is more than cosmetic... I think it does have different suspension but I dont think it came with larger brakes.

Oh and yes you can replace the thump flats with regular tires no problem. Dont listen to those that tell you you cant...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='610223' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:44 PM
First of call CONGRATS!!!! you made a excellent choice!

As far as TPMs since it is a 2006 you dont need them. The car does not have TPM buy has FTM Flat tire monitor which uses the rotational speed of the wheel and ABS sensor to detect a "flat tire" it warns you when a tire is around 7psi lower than others.

The sport package is more than cosmetic... I think it does have different suspension but I dont think it came with larger brakes.

Oh and yes you can replace the thump flats with regular tires no problem. Dont listen to those that tell you you cant...
I have a 2007 530i (built 04/06) ... Does it need tpms? I am also considering getting 20" rims and wondered if I need it.... Do I really need it? I can just turn the tpm off right?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='610223' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:44 PM

Thank you, EBMCS03!

Can I get a consensus on this information from some of you other E60 experts out there? One of the downfalls of Run Flats is that you can't tell they are flat or losing air unless the car tells you. I'm reminded of the Firestone/Ford Explorer debacle a while back ... The sidewalls were so stiff that people were driving on dangerously low air pressures and not knowing until their tires exploded. My concern is that the car's built in FTM won't even know that the Run Flats are losing their pressure -- they won't show it.

So if my car 'only' has FTM, which does sounds great for regular tires, shouldn't I be concerned? No way to upgrade to the TPM system?

Surely there are other peeps out there who have upgraded their cars to these larger wheels with the Run Flats. Of course, I realize I can always upgrade my car to different wheels and just put on any tire I wish ... This Ebay offer looked like a nice deal though.