E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

KW Variant 2 or 3
HR
JIC/CROSS
KSPORT

Those are the current most popular for our car. KW, HR, & JIC/CROSS aren't as comfortable as KSport because KSport uses a rubber mount below the top hat to reduce vibrations. Also KW & HR, when you change the height of the car you change the spring travel and you will notice a ping ping sound when corning because of the way you adjust the height.

KW Variant 2/3 ~$1300-$1500
HR ~$1300+
JIC/CROSS ~$2000
KSPORT ~$1000

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by dentity
thanks - Really would like to know what options are out there...my first reactions was that they were not as stiff? Bouncy even in the back tires when going over bumps. I know that they were installed too low. They don't have enough space to recoil w/ that setting they are already negative.

the reason I need them is that the sport suspension is a little too floaty for me in the corners and at high speed.

I have Active roll stab. but NOT auto leveling. So no sway bars. The only options that I have as I understood it are with coilovers.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

So how does the ksport compare to the bmw sport suspension that I use to have as of 5 hours ago? Or even Kw? And if I adjust the height would i get better feel? (higher)
Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor

stiffer, lower, handles better. bang for the buck KSports beat them all. if you had the cash i'd go with CROSS.

So how does the ksport compare to the bmw sport suspension that I use to have as of 5 hours ago? Or even Kw?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

One reason I chose the h&r is that i can only do so much with the 550i on the track... I dont want to make it 100% track... I figured they set the recoils at the factory and i can set the height according to what I was doing...

winter higher than middle but lower than bmw sport suspension
summer/daily driver middle
track lowered and maybe lower than lowered

there are a lot of variations with the recoil settings. So as I understand it the HR coilovers provide a stiffer performance and loose the boucy feeling on/in the turns at high speed? The only suspension I have to compare it to is the bmw sport suspension which is a step up from stock suspension.

Would adjusting the height upwards provide better control and eliminate the ping ping from the rear? (I think they put the height setting pretty much on the lowest that it could go... or almost.) The wheels are slightly buried under the panel if you can see the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?-image135.jpg   Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?-image136.jpg   Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?-image138.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor

The KSports have 32 way adjustable damperage. If you're going to the track you make it stiff, when you're daily driving you make it softer. During winter you can raise the car and summer/track you can lower the car up to 3-3.5".

The only way to prevent the ping noise is to make sure the spring is sitting snug when the car is jacked up. If it's lose and you can freely move the spring up and down, it'll ping.

Michael
Acute Performance

One reason I chose the h&r is that i can only do so much with the 550i on the track... I dont want to make it 100% track... I figured they set the recoils at the factory and i can set the height according to what I was doing...

winter higher than middle but lower than bmw sport suspension
summer/daily driver middle
track lowered and maybe lower than lowered

there are a lot of variations with the recoil settings. So as I understand it the HR coilovers provide a stiffer performance and loose the boucy feeling on/in the turns at high speed? The only suspension I have to compare it to is the bmw sport suspension which is a step up from stock suspension.

Would adjusting the height upwards provide better control and eliminate the ping ping from the rear? (I think they put the height setting pretty much on the lowest that it could go... or almost.) The wheels are slightly buried under the panel if you can see the pics.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Contributors

here is the previous height
Attached Thumbnails Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?-cimg6670.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Contributors

That ping is actually a noise you are hearing? I am talking about a bouncy feeling?

Would bump stops solve this? I think the level at this time is too low... see pics before... The coilover is not able to move or I removed all the suspension travel so that they are not functioning correctly

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
The KSports have 32 way adjustable damperage. If you're going to the track you make it stiff, when you're daily driving you make it softer. During winter you can raise the car and summer/track you can lower the car up to 3-3.5".

The only way to prevent the ping noise is to make sure the spring is sitting snug when the car is jacked up. If it's lose and you can freely move the spring up and down, it'll ping.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Former Vendor

i'm confused now. are you currently running h&rs?

michael
acute performance
Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Contributors

I checked out the ksport... yeah they would be ideal...but i did not want to have to adjust the recoil for this car. A 3 series YES... but this is a monster size track/daily driver.

but I bought these from turner

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=50462

for $1100 and then the install. What is the price range on the model you were talking about?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor

if you're h&r coils right now are bumpy try adjusting them to the stiffest setting to see if it helps. i'm not saying keep them stiff, just make them stiff to see if it solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?