E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACS Roof Spoiler Install!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey All!

Well, after my DIY of replacing the deteriorating rear rubber window trim on my '04 545 I got my ASC type roof spoiler!
I took a chance and ordered a replica off eBay from Taiwan for a measly $120 painted... "What the Hell"

Well MUCH to my surprise - a mere 5 (!!!!!!!!) days later it was at my house in San Mateo, CA. ... (NO SHIT!)

Open the box... (I'm SURE it's the wrong color!)... NOPE!!! Perfect match! .... Fitment was "good" a little warped to one side,
but the heat outside helped to bring things into shape... It actually was really good quality for what I thought was gonna be a cheap "piece"...
I was pretty pleased over all!

I had gone to PEP boys after reading some of the install DIY's here on the forum and picked up a tube of Silicone Adhesive to go along with
the 3M tape that was on the spoiler

I let the spoiler sit in the sun a bit to get it nice and pliable

Yeah - that's my license plate number - OR IS IT??
(the towels are clean)

SO - I actually added a bit more of 3M tape to the spoiler (sorry - I seem to have lost the pic I took of the back), and once we dry fitted the "wing",
as my other half was calling it, I applied the silicone to the channel on the back side of the spoiler and also zig/zaged it over the tape \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

THEN the big anxiety attack - we set it in place.... Had to make sure to line it up the rubber window trim on the sides and top... (recalled from the dry fit)...

Then pressed it all down evenly from both sides and held that for several minutes...

Then begins the taping... and more taping.. and more taping...

Then I added weights (as instructed by the other DIY's on this forum)... But I think mine are the BEST!:

The weights were essential for getting good contact with the tape and the silicone since the fit was "good" but not "perfect"..

THEN since my baby cannot fit in our tiny garage and I ALWAYS keep up appearances, I had to give it a nice cover (also to keep out the damp overnight):
(again - clean towels)

BTW: The neighbors were all "hey what's under the cover?? - I said I attached rocket engines to the car... ( OK I had been drinking!)

Now for the waiting...

I let it "simmer" for a full 24 hrs... well... sort of.

Ok... well, not really 24 - 'cause I was like a kid at Christmas the next morning and decide to take the tape & weights off at 12-ish (about 21 hrs after install)

...but I let it sit in the sun for another 3hrs before I decide to take it out for a test

"PASSED" ... had it up to 95mph and held tight!!!

Here are some more pics of the finished install:

(sorry about the finger in the pic but I was trying to get a good pic with the ACS sticker )

Special thanks to all the previous DIY posts on this forum that helped me out with this install!

It's been 4 weeks now, been rained on, washed, (pulled and pried - LIGHTLY - cause I wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna fly off!)...
and I've had her up to 100mph and that baby is holding "super tight".

I love the way it looks 'cause it's a such a subtle mod but adds a nice sport element to the car.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Congrats! It looks great, but I am biased !
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this really how youre supposed to attach the roof spoiler? I thought it was just double sided tape? Looks good!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='985259' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:16 AM
Is this really how youre supposed to attach the roof spoiler? I thought it was just double sided tape? Looks good!
I have only the double sided tape and I think I'll have to rip the thing off, put some adhesive silicone on the edges and new tape in the center and then mount it again. I've noticed that when the weather is cold and wet, the tape might get loose. But then when it's hot and dry again, it sticks back on. However, I don't want to risk it so I'm going to do the same as cubitsf here!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='985248' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:06 AM
Congrats! It looks great, but I am biased !
+1, btw the weights are indeed heavy
Old 08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Gone: 2004 545i

Looks good, great job with the install and write up. Mind sharing who you purchased the spoiler from?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

good thing nobody went to the car during the night and mess up with the covered roof lol

good job anyways
Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Great job! It looks awesome.

With all the towels and dumbbells, it looks like the car had a work out.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Was you neighbor pissed that you took all their weights?
Looks great, BTW. Just the way I did it (although I used laundry detergent bottles so I could still work out )
Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Nice install.

Quick Reply: ACS Roof Spoiler Install!