E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACM/Cameras installed on 08 528

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All, I am new to the forum. My 08 528i had no PDC when we bought (US Spec ?08 5 series with CCC Professional Navigation/Factory Ipod(SA 6FL)/No CD Changer /No PDC)

The option to install an OEM PDC was very involved for me changing bumpers/buying PDC module and very expensive. I do not like the after market PDC sensors or Non OEM options like Nav2GO/Dension due to warranty issues.

So I went with the ACM option, got an ACM unit (65 50 0 431 544 Retrofit BMW Accessory Menu ACM) from Europe with panasonic Backup camera and Eclipse front camera. Got it professionally installed .

No software update or coding needed from the BMW dealer for the car. The car shows what is behind the car when put into reverse automatically. The side view camera has to be operated by a switch and works upto 20 mph. There is an option in the ACM menu to turn on the rear view camera even while driving.
I turned off the TV,DVD and PDC options in the acm since I do not use those features.

Everything is integrated with the iDrive and it works very well. Very happy with the product so far.

Here are some details in the attached pdf file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ACMwithCamerasInstalled.pdf (1.08 MB, 235 views)
Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Very nice! Where did you get the ACM from and how much was it?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='877458' date='May 13 2009, 11:45 PM
Very nice! Where did you get the ACM from and how much was it?
+1 Exactly ! + ?

And welcome to the forums! Very nice first post man!
Please add your location on your member profile.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Nice gadgets!

I got some q's for you.

- How much was your acm and universal can interface?

- Is both needed for use with DVD video?

- Also do I need MP3 capability?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Nice write up... No pics of the installation?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='877458
Nice gadgets!

I got some q's for you.

- How much was your acm and universal can interface?

- Is both needed for use with DVD video?

- Also do I need MP3 capability?
My friend purchased the ACM Unit set (ACM + Can Interface + cables) when he travelled to europe recently at a BMW dealer for 315 EURO's which came out to $417 last month, forex fluctuates daily but this will give you an idea.

Yes , you need both for DVD video , both ACM & CAN Interface are part of the install kit.
As far as I know you do not need any coding/software update for MP3 but I would post that question the expert : Bruce Miranda , his posts were very helpful for everybody. My car has factory USB/Audio interface SA 6FL installed , may be it is coded for MP3's since I play MP3's from a USB flash drive as well from a MP3 player.

I believe in US there is a seller on ebay that sells the ACM and the price is around $749.

Total cost including ACM + cameras+ installation charges of $350 for me was: $950, Both the cameras were from ebay brand new.
Factory option for PDC which I did not get at the time of car purchase was $750, but the ACM has more features compared to the PDC & integrates seamlessly with the iDrive.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sama002' post='877520' date='May 13 2009, 05:38 PM
My friend purchased the ACM Unit set (ACM + Can Interface + cables) when he travelled to europe recently at a BMW dealer for 315 EURO's which came out to $417 last month, forex fluctuates daily but this will give you an idea.

Yes , you need both for DVD video , both ACM & CAN Interface are part of the install kit.
As far as I know you do not need any coding/software updat for MP3 but I would post that question the expert : Bruce Miranda , his posts were ver helpful for everybody. My car has USB/Audio interface installed , may be it is coded for MP3's since I play MP's from a USB flash drive as well from a MP3 player.

I believe in US ther is a seller on ebay who sells the ACM and the price is around $749.

Total cost including ACM + cameras+ installation charges of $350 for me was: $950, Both the cameras were from ebay brand new.
Factory option for PDC which I did not get at the time of car purchase was $750, but the ACM has more features compared to the PDC & integrates seamlessly with the iDrive.
excellent post ... thank you
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='877513' date='May 13 2009, 05:33 PM
Nice write up... No pics of the installation?
Sorry no DIY pictures but Bruce Miranda posted some pics, This was professionally installed with no access to the workshop to the customers due to "hazardous" working conditions and customers are kept away due to safety isssues. But I was able to see what the technician was doing on the CCTV security camera hooked upto the TV in the waiting area.

It took a total of 7 hours for the ACM install, front & Backup cameras.
BMW dealer wanted to charge @$180 / hour for the install and the scary part was they insisted that there needs to be a software update ($185)due to the addition of ACM. So the total charges if the dealer completed the install would have been: $1445 not including the ACM & camera.

I highly suggest going witha professional installer.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by Sama002' post='877520' date='May 13 2009, 04:38 PM

As far as I know you do not need any coding/software update for MP3 but I would post that question the expert : Bruce Miranda , his posts were very helpful for everybody. My car has factory USB/Audio interface SA 6FL installed , may be it is coded for MP3's since I play MP3's from a USB flash drive as well from a MP3 player.

I believe in US there is a seller on ebay that sells the ACM and the price is around $749.

Got it. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

315 Euros is much better than $749 no matter what the exchange is!

Quick Reply: ACM/Cameras installed on 08 528