E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Monaco Blue 535i Sport/Premium Package

I just received my ACS roof spoiler in the mail and I have a question that I haven't seen addressed in all the roof spoiler threads I've gone through. Fresh out of the box the spoiler is rather STRAIGHT, not compensating much for the curvature of the window. When I held the spoiler against my rear window the ends did not make contact with the window. I thumbed through the install directions that came with it and it does mention some heating of the part and I'm assuming this is to bow the spoiler properly. Can i get some feedback from the crew?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

I have been extremely pissed myself with the spoiler not being properly set to the curvature of the rear windscreen. The problem that it would lead to is that the spoiler if sticks using a 3M tape, will soon give up in a few weeks.

I have installed my spoiler 2 times and still not very happy with how it sits as its loosing glue from the sides - Since I am using an A Style spoiler (Non OEM ACS)I believe that could be one reason for this confusion.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
I have been extremely pissed myself with the spoiler not being properly set to the curvature of the rear windscreen. The problem that it would lead to is that the spoiler if sticks using a 3M tape, will soon give up in a few weeks.

I have installed my spoiler 2 times and still not very happy with how it sits as its loosing glue from the sides - Since I am using an A Style spoiler (Non OEM ACS)I believe that could be one reason for this confusion.
well, my spoiler is not a rep it's the real deal and still has the same issue as yours. more money same problems :thumbsdown:
I'm sure a body shop could do the install but now i'm looking a spending even more dough.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Same problem for me.
I first used the tape it came with. No luck.
I read on someones tread to use two layers of 3m tape.
I tried that and it worked much better but still lifting up a bit.
I used some silicon glue and still seeing gaps.
I'm about ready to toss it!
Any body got any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Mine was originally installed with tape only and that never even left the parking lot at the shop, as it was lifting! So as of now it was glued with silicone AND tape also and it's holding nicely...the key evidently is to tape the spoiler down to the car while the glue is setting up, this eliminates gaps and lifting!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by deansimpson
Same problem for me.
I first used the tape it came with. No luck.
I read on someones tread to use two layers of 3m tape.
I tried that and it worked much better but still lifting up a bit.
I used some silicon glue and still seeing gaps.
I'm about ready to toss it!
Any body got any suggestions?
Read the post below you. that's the ticket. i just got in contact with a professional installer of AC S products. You can leave it out in the sun for a little bit to get it to be more pliable and then you have to fasten it to the roof while the epoxy bonds. In the AC S install booklet that shows how it's done there is a picture of about 4-5 suction cup/clamps that are used to create this bond.

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Mine was originally installed with tape only and that never even left the parking lot at the shop, as it was lifting! So as of now it was glued with silicone AND tape also and it's holding nicely...the key evidently is to tape the spoiler down to the car while the glue is setting up, this eliminates gaps and lifting!
cheers.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

I don't have an ACS roof spoiler but I do have a RD sport. I followed the advice of a few forum members and cleaned both surfaces extremely well. Then I used the 3M adhesive promoter and then applied 2 layers of 3M double-sided tape. I applied light heat using a heat gun and then attached the spoiler (not sure exactly how this helps but I read it in another thread).

Most importantly, I then placed a thick towel over the spoiler and stacked a few boxes on top of the spoiler to eliminate any gaps. I kept the boxes on the spoiler overnight. Haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
I don't have an ACS roof spoiler but I do have a RD sport. I followed the advice of a few forum members and cleaned both surfaces extremely well. Then I used the 3M adhesive promoter and then applied 2 layers of 3M double-sided tape. I applied light heat using a heat gun and then attached the spoiler (not sure exactly how this helps but I read it in another thread).

Most importantly, I then placed a thick towel over the spoiler and stacked a few boxes on top of the spoiler to eliminate any gaps. I kept the boxes on the spoiler overnight. Haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.
i'm assuming this was for a trunk spoiler as this seems like it would be awkward to achieve with a roof spoiler.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Members

my spoiler is being painted today and i will do the install tomorrow. i'll keep you guys posted and try and take some pics of the process. cheers.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by sebash
i'm assuming this was for a trunk spoiler as this seems like it would be awkward to achieve with a roof spoiler.
Nope, I used this method installing my RD sport ROOF spoiler. Just be sure that you balance and support whatever you are using to weigh it down properly. You wouldn't want any pressure dents on your roof. Just be smart about it and use common sense. This method worked well for me. It's on very tight using only 3M tape.

Quick Reply: AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler