E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Wow. This cadget sounds amazing. I really would like to get it, but I'm a bit worried about the side effects .
And how you guys can find it so cheap?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Side effects would be clogging the DPF due to extra fuel / smoke.

If you go for the remap it will add boost pressure. Increased boost will kill the excess smoke so no effect on the DPF.

Until I get my boost gauge set up I can't see if the ECU is clever enough to add extra boost due to the richer mixture. If it does ( which I doubt ) that would be ace

I am not recommending this box. Fit at your own risk. I only bought it for a bit of fun until I get my remap.

There are loads of different types of boxes out there and they all do the same, more or less, increase fuel pressure. Increased fuel pressure = Better atomnisation, more fuel added so more power. Extra fuel on a diesel will smoke like mad and increase Exhuast gas temps. Normally you add extra boost to lean out the mix, stop smoke and reduce EGT's

On our cars you cant see the extra fuel as the DPF stops it. You won't know until it is too late and the DPF is clogged On saying that if this box has been tested properly and they have not gone mad with the pressure it should work fine.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Abrieb-Chiptuning...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

got mine here
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by paulmc' post='708736' date='Oct 31 2008, 06:47 PM
Side effects would be clogging the DPF due to extra fuel / smoke.

If you go for the remap it will add boost pressure. Increased boost will kill the excess smoke so no effect on the DPF.

Until I get my boost gauge set up I can't see if the ECU is clever enough to add extra boost due to the richer mixture. If it does ( which I doubt ) that would be ace

I am not recommending this box. Fit at your own risk. I only bought it for a bit of fun until I get my remap.

There are loads of different types of boxes out there and they all do the same, more or less, increase fuel pressure. Increased fuel pressure = Better atomnisation, more fuel added so more power. Extra fuel on a diesel will smoke like mad and increase Exhuast gas temps. Normally you add extra boost to lean out the mix, stop smoke and reduce EGT's

On our cars you cant see the extra fuel as the DPF stops it. You won't know until it is too late and the DPF is clogged On saying that if this box has been tested properly and they have not gone mad with the pressure it should work fine.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Abrieb-Chiptuning...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

got mine here
Thanks for this useful info!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Just been out for another blast. This thing is funny how fast it is now. Very impressed. Easy +30bhp no idea re torque as it is very hard to guess torque but it pulls so much easier in all gears. Wheel spin is mental. Ok it is damp but it is still spining in 3rd
Old 11-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 535d E60 Black on Black, Shadow line in and out, sun roof, comfort seats, PDCs, navi, Sport suspension, Hifi

Glad you like your box. I had similiar box in my previous 330d 6-speed manual (204hp). From link you can find before and after figures posted at E46 Fanatics (scroll down a bit). I have nothing bad to say about this box www.tuningbox.com, drove 100000kms with no problems. It was a bit pricy, about 700euros.

Link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.ph...&highlight=
Old 11-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 525DTM

I have fitted it on friday and drove it for around 250km so far... pulls much stronger, fuel consumption decreased from 7,2 to some 6,3 liters/100km (driving the samy way on cruise control for 200km)... I would worry about the injectors and hi-pressure pump only because these modern diesel engines have safety circuits with thermo sensors and lambdas in exhaust... so far I can only say I am impressed for that bang for bucks :-)
Attached Thumbnails Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!-dsc_2200.jpg  
Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

Originally Posted by StreetPro' post='716467' date='Nov 9 2008, 02:37 PM
I have fitted it on friday and drove it for around 250km so far... pulls much stronger, fuel consumption decreased from 7,2 to some 6,3 liters/100km (driving the samy way on cruise control for 200km)... I would worry about the injectors and hi-pressure pump only because these modern diesel engines have safety circuits with thermo sensors and lambdas in exhaust... so far I can only say I am impressed for that bang for bucks :-)
Just beware that it might just be a hack type system that is just leaning out your car for increased performance and decreased relibility.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

It is deffo a hack system. It tells the ecu that there is not enough fuel pressure so the ecu increases it. It does not lean out the car the car it makes it richer.

You would need to test your mpg using brim to brim method as the ecu does not know the fuel pressure is higher and still thinks X amount of fuel being injected when really X amount + an extra percentage is being added. On saying that the increased fuel enables the fuel to atomize better and as a result the engine will be slightly more efficient.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 525DTM

I am aware about these hints and the fuel consumption DID decrase by that amount writen above, I did check it by getting full tank before and after those 200km (well, not a lot but enough to notice a difference)... I only wonder about that added pressure on injectors... they already lead a hard life (they need replacement at 150k km on our "premium" diesel-stuff they sell around here) :-(
Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by StreetPro' post='717385' date='Nov 10 2008, 05:20 PM
I only wonder about that added pressure on injectors... they already lead a hard life (they need replacement at 150k km on our "premium" diesel-stuff they sell around here) :-(

Yeah me to. I need to get a OBD reader and see what the pressure is increased to just not got round to it yet.

Quick Reply: Abrieb Tuning Device from Ebay works great!!