E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i Sub install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Alpine White, Sport Package, Cold weather package, luxury seating package, Premium sound package.

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I've seen discussions on non logic 7 system installs. I have an 05'' 545i and was wondering has anyone done a separate sub install with the hifi L7?
I have a single 12" DD 2512 and 500/1 jl audio collecting dust, I'm considering installing it, especially because my ski slot and fold down seats are convincing! : ) Which is the most efficient way to get an audio input into the jl amp? Using a LOC from the L7 sub outs? Or some type or harness? Any pointers would help!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

member tecnic has a plug and play harness ready for exactly that.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Members

welcome!

i just put a 12" in my trunk but WITHOUT the ski passthrough - that firewall is freaking airtight man youre lucky to have that hole.

I hardwired a hi-low adapter to the subwoofer cables coming out of the L7 amp - you can use wiretaps or i just shaved off a spot of rubber and wrapped around it then electric taped in place - the hi-low weights like nothign to im not worried about the wires shaking loose at any point. its a great way to righ up a sub because the L7 amp is only handling the low range on those lines - unfortunately the subs arent controlled by the iDrive fader theres no way to control the 12" on the fly unless you have a remote gain adjust (which i would reccommend if youre going to point that thing right at your backseat passengers )

found some good detailed instructions right here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59756
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by igngnot
welcome!

i just put a 12" in my trunk but WITHOUT the ski passthrough - that firewall is freaking airtight man youre lucky to have that hole.

I hardwired a hi-low adapter to the subwoofer cables coming out of the L7 amp - you can use wiretaps or i just shaved off a spot of rubber and wrapped around it then electric taped in place - the hi-low weights like nothign to im not worried about the wires shaking loose at any point. its a great way to righ up a sub because the L7 amp is only handling the low range on those lines - unfortunately the subs arent controlled by the iDrive fader theres no way to control the 12" on the fly unless you have a remote gain adjust (which i would reccommend if youre going to point that thing right at your backseat passengers )

found some good detailed instructions right here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59756
i heard theres a kit for our cars but it still requires making a hole but it makes it look clean if we dont make a clean cut. The trunk is most definetly air tight, people have said that outside people will hear the subs before u do =( u cant really enjoy it that way cuzz the sound is super muffled.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stylin8o8
i heard theres a kit for our cars but it still requires making a hole but it makes it look clean if we dont make a clean cut. The trunk is most definetly air tight, people have said that outside people will hear the subs before u do =( u cant really enjoy it that way cuzz the sound is super muffled.

you are right the bass from the trunk is louder outside the car haha. a link to that kit would be the coolest ever please post it here even maybe:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/117...ssthrough-mod/
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

here's the harness I was talking about:

no splicing!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

you are right the bass from the trunk is louder outside the car haha. a link to that kit would be the coolest ever please post it here even maybe:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/117...ssthrough-mod/

thats the one i was talking about it makes it look clean!!!!! haha i didn't remember where it was haha but once you make the hole that will look good!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Alpine White, Sport Package, Cold weather package, luxury seating package, Premium sound package.

Thanks, This is exactly what i was looking for, and it does make the install alot easier, clean and no worries about splicing wires! Come to think about it now this is something i definitely would be interested in if i was still under warranty and were to be concerned about voiding it. I think i just might use wire taps, and soldier the outs into a LOC. I won't have to worry about a remote turn on, because i have input sensitivity on the jl : )
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Members

welcome!

Thanks for your input! I think i will be doing wire tapping and soldering for this install. I definitely will use a remote gain knob, Normally on OEM setups i like to tune the HUI with no bass goin to the interior speakers while having a remote bass knob for the low end coming from the sub for a cleaner sound, kinda acting as if it was a crossover. I know how BMW firewall can get from having ANY noise into the cabin, But sometimes without the ski package, there's a sheet metal plate behind the carpeted cover in the trunk where the ski slot is located that has pre solider rivets you can tap off using a screwdriver and a hammer. I discovered that in my e65 i had, Not sure if it's the same with the e60's. What you can also do is, pop the back seat outwards, leaving about an 1/2" gap from the rear deck, The rear seat remains sturdy enough for passengers, but of course if using a child restraint, u could press down and pop back in, vice versa.. Iv'e done this to another e60 install without the logic7 and is was a BIG difference in spl traveling into the cabin. Hope this helps!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Senior Members

Don't forget pictures when your done=)

Quick Reply: 545i Sub install