E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545/550 AFE induction kit (Europe) (maybe 6 cylinder to)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

right guys I have spoken to a UK Distributor Simpson Motorsport who can get us guys over in the UK and Europe the AFE induction kit for the 550. (Us guys alwways get a raw deals when it comes to shipping :thumbsdown: )

The kit will work on the 545 with a few mods. If you follow the guide here for the 545 your have no problem. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42576&st=60 (cheers vegastrashed you the man )

I need a minimum of around 5 orders, there is no point for the guys over the pond ordering as they can get it at a good price . For the uk its 300GBP shipped, however, if we can get 5 or more then we can get a better price. Now everyone has been raving about this kit so I'm excited about getting it .

I'm not sure how group buys work on here, i.e. do I have to contact someone on the site like admin before I post this, so if thats the case then sorry guys please remove if it needs approval. He is emailing me tomorrow to get me the availability of the kit.

update:- i will check for the 6 cylinder models to if there are any 530 etc out their who may also be interested ...... pls add your name with engine size

1.Westside 545
2. Alex FW 545 (.)(.)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I'm excited too .
As you already know, I'm in .

Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Engine: 545i

I'm not convinced with regards to the surrounding heat factor.

I waiting on vt's detailed fotos from his AFE mod and his detailed explanation to see exactly how complex the custom fit was.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

andy if you click the link in my original post tha has the link that u are looking for with the changes that u have to do TBH its a easy mod
Old 10-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I'll make a call to Sonic MotorSports and ask what three mods had to be done to get the 550i AFE CAI to fit onto the 545i. The one mod I do remember is that the MAF sensor housing had to be modified. As for naysayers calling it a "hot air intake" b/c of the open design which appears to be sucking in the hot air from the engine bay, well it's been 3 months since it was installed and there hasn't been any problems.

I'm sure AFE did plenty of research and development in the design of the CAI for the 550i and 530i and took into account the possibility of the hot air from the engine getting sucked in. Before I decided on the AFE CAI, I did plenty of research. I never once found anyone complain about their product. I believe that heezy545i once mentioned that AFE is widely popular with the e46 crowd. So, the skeptics can stand on the sidelines while the adventureous enjoy the sound and performance, in conjuntion with remap ECU and exhaust, of the AFE CAI.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

yes i agree with what vegas has said, having owened 2 e46 328/330 convert I did plenty of research the mod which has to be done is minor to make it fit the 545 i can tell what do to from the pics, as i post more your notice that i dont mind getting my hands dirty.

this Saturday i am fitting my m5 wings/m5 bumpers and m5 interior (with stoneface) After a few weeks i'll be dropping it, I mean at the end of the day its only nuts and bolts lol.

I am sure AFE R & D did some research into the induction kit, anyway i will also be fitting a custom cold feed to the cone when i fit the m5 front bumper :-)
Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='482370' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:20 PM
I'll make a call to Sonic MotorSports and ask what three mods had to be done to get the 550i AFE CAI to fit onto the 545i. The one mod I do remember is that the MAF sensor housing had to be modified. As for naysayers calling it a "hot air intake" b/c of the open design which appears to be sucking in the hot air from the engine bay, well it's been 3 months since it was installed and there hasn't been any problems.
Is the mechanic at the dealer able to make these mods ?
I would bring the package there and say "Install it" .
If you can ask detailes .. So we can provide all instructions .

I'm sure AFE did plenty of research and development in the design of the CAI for the 550i and 530i and took into account the possibility of the hot air from the engine getting sucked in. Before I decided on the AFE CAI, I did plenty of research. I never once found anyone complain about their product. I believe that heezy545i once mentioned that AFE is widely popular with the e46 crowd. So, the skeptics can stand on the sidelines while the adventureous enjoy the sound and performance, in conjuntion with remap ECU and exhaust, of the AFE CAI.

So can we get it ?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='482370' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:20 PM

Here is my concern and what is holding me up from buying it. VT I am not a neigh sayer just have questions that need to be addressed or brought up.

1) The stock air box is built to create a certain amount of pressure. The engine in the E60 breathes best with a pressurized airbox according to my a well know individual and this CAI eliminates that pressure system.

2) The stock air box feeds from a tube that sucks from a super high flow area behind the front air dam underneath the headlight. So How does the AFE CAI get more air than that feeding tube when its sits directly behind the headlight and radiator?

3) As far as research this is not an engineering marvel. AFE used a common filter from many of their other kits and attached a cut piece of aluminum that fits over the connecting tube.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack' post='482417' date='Oct 17 2007, 12:13 AM
1) The stock air box is built to create a certain amount of pressure.

This is the main point ...

2) The stock air box feeds from a tube that sucks from a super high flow area behind the front air dam underneath the headlight. So How does the AFE CAI get more air than that feeding tube when its sits directly behind the headlight and radiator?
And this the second.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='482420' date='Oct 16 2007, 03:16 PM
This is the main point ...

And this the second.

You added no value with this point...... you want to elaborate because you did not answer ONE question

Quick Reply: 545/550 AFE induction kit (Europe) (maybe 6 cylinder to)