E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535i Muffler Delete with video!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by ketchupfreak
BMS DCI.
I have heard that this mod will increase engine sound in the cabin. Obviously it wasnt enough if you wanted more, but I was just curious if you noticed an increase with this mod.

Car sounds great. Great idea for the N54.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plowery21
I have heard that this mod will increase engine sound in the cabin. Obviously it wasnt enough if you wanted more, but I was just curious if you noticed an increase with this mod.

Car sounds great. Great idea for the N54.
Yes any exhaust will increase sounds in the cabin. The thing is, I listen to music 98% of the time so it does not bother me at all.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Hmm, sounds better than I thought it would. Obviously would need to hear it in person to know for sure, but for $200 seems worth a shot!

Originally Posted by G.Sauce
It sounds good to me and what I'm looking for too! Do you know is there are any downfalls with doing with on 535i's because of the turbo and "needing back pressure"? I don't know much about back pressure but have read that our turbo 535i's need some of it to keep the performance?
It would be great to see this confusion go away. I see it a lot on these boards for some reason.

N54's (and N55's, and all other BMW or non-BMW turbo engines) want the most free-flowing exhaust available. Period. The more you can open it up the better.

Now, that's in terms of horsepower. And building boost quickly. And MPG. All those will get better with a bigger, more open/free-flowing exhaust piping.

However, what you will probably notice is the OFF-boost power is down - like those couple hundred rpm before you start building boost will feel more sluggish. So on throttle tip-in, you'll get the sensation of less power, because for a few seconds there IS less power (in OFF-boost situations only) than there used to be. But with stock turbos these engines build boost so quickly I would consider that to be a non-issue.

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
I replaced the stock muffler with a high flow V8 Camaro muffler and ran a pipe to the passenger side for the quad dual look on my 535.
The exhaust drone was horrible and it messed up the performance of the engine.
I lost alot of low end boost and it didn't pull very hard up to. The gas mileage sucked.
Put the stock muffler back on, got rid of the nasty drone and got my power and gas mileage back.
I also thought that opening up the exhaust would give me more power but I was way wrong. These N54's want back pressure.
You jacked up the exhaust flow by ghetto-rigging a poorly-matched muffler and extra piping. That's why it didn't work out, would be my guess. In any case, it certainly was NOT due to a lack of "back pressure".

The fact that you're MPG went bad also hints that something was actually restricting exhaust flow, since bigger/more open exhausts will typically generate BETTER fuel economy in turbocharged engines.