E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535i with GIAC Flash

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 535i flashed with GIAC over the weekend and here's what I feel.

SMOOTH + STRONG = CONTENT

SMOOTH - I was contemplating on piggies for a while and thought it was a bit too blue collar for my liking. Not offending anyone, just that I am not at all handy with any tools and my only option up until last month (THANK GOD) was limited to Dinan. I've read thru the forums that piggies are strong but the pulls can be violent! GIAC is so smooth that it retains the smooth but powerful engine and tranny that BMW owners are so accustomed to. The light just went on that smoothness is an integral part with ANY engine mods. It's BMW drivibility! And that is the best characteristic at the end of the day. I got on the GIAC install schedule the same week the light bulb went on in my little head.

STRONG - I drive 90% city and so all stopping and going so the power is a huge bonus. No one had really raced me from stop lights, but I've never been passed since the flash. PERIOD. Couple of days ago, a CTS, modded or not who knows but it carried full aftermarket body work, had a problem keeping distance from my rear bumper. Weaving and passing a couple cars in front of me. I followed him and we both stopped at the next right turn. As soon as he turned, I unleashed the beast in sports mode. I don't think he knew what hit him. When I checked my rear view mirror after 2 or 3 seconds, he was 10+ car's length in the dust. I had to jump on the brakes at 80 mph in a 50 limit.

Bonus: When I drive normal, my mpg actually improved!! Although only seldomly observed b/c kind of used to the extra power and busy passing everyone while on a fulltime reaction alert on stock brakes with any sign of mirage of our friend in black and white. My cobra is full of false signals.

In summation: Smooth, strong, error code free, improvement on gas?..and head snapping acceleration. It all adds up to a GREAT mod! All this without elbow grease in stipping all the way to the ECU. WOW...me happy bimmer sprinter.

Btw, Nick the man at AEPerformance was authoritative in subject matter expertese and in customer service. He answered all my questions to satifaction. Even got a taste in his M3 eater. 335i + GIAC + exhaust and intake, all stage 1?my oh my = Linda Blair type of head-spin, when Blair meets Nick with a stick!

All 135i, 335i and 535i guys and gals?please?GIAC is a no brainer. I've read a few 335i GIAC flashed posts but not 535i. Why not? You'll be the same power. I traded in my 530i precisely for this mod. With the 530, only a few dissappoint options like HP increase from a Dinan high throw throttle upgrade for a 5 HP increast for $800. This is 50+ HP/TQ increase at the WHEEL, or about $18 per HP/TQ gain?.simply second nature for N54s.

Cheers.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

nice write up...and congrats...I think this flash will get a bit more popular once they release their hand held switcher...but I believe S2 is their first priority right now

did you notice a slight dip in torque in 3rd and 4th gear (read a few people on e90posts refer to that)

happy motoring....
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Nice recap. Maybe add on a few other mods like RPI scoops and exhaust to enhance your new found power?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the information. If they had the switcher available I would do it in a hard beat. More performance and better fuel economy - sounds like a no brainer.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

I'm still a little iffy on voiding my warranty with any type of performance mod, save for the RPi scoop. I don't know how ANY dealer would react to finding out that the car was modded and if I were to have to go to another dealership to try again, then I don't know how my dad would be about it. I hear it all the time, "the tunes are untraceable" but then what about throwing codes? I know there's the reseter, but that's another, what, $300? Too much risk involved.

Before I was all about the JB3, not knowing how powerful it really was. I guess I don't need those kind of numbers and have to go through the trouble of using race gas in order to fully utilize it. I switched focus to the slightly cheaper JB+, which I think has similar performance numbers, but doesn't require me to open up the box and play with wires. Still, that can throw codes, but I feel with an RPi scoop, it'll be putting a whole lot less stress on the engine than a map 8 JB3 setup.

Just my two cents. Glad you liked thie GIAC. I too was excited for a bit when I heard of the GIAC, I just wasn't sure of the price. Still not sure how much it is, but it appears to be over the $300 or so a JB+ costs. Plus I don't lose the car or have to take it in anywhere. I guess those were big issues for me.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Hate to thread jack, but since these mods depend heavily on altitude, what is considered to be a low altitude, and therefore giving better performance numbers? How is 700ft.? I know Denver is, what, 8,000+ ft. above sea level? I know that's bad for running a JB3 on 91.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

The whole warranty issue with flashes has me hesitant as well. Yes I know the Dinan flash is out there but it is quite expensive.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Munich77' post='1031738' date='Oct 13 2009, 04:56 PM
The whole warranty issue with flashes has me hesitant as well. Yes I know the Dinan flash is out there but it is quite expensive.
there a few posts on e90 that state no codes thrown with the GIAC, scanned with both a BT tool and GT1. Most companies take a lot of time in R&D to make sure their product stays undetectable. If you are really that worried about the codes, invest in a BT for yourself, split with one some local members, find one locally you can use from time to time to scan and clear. Even with a flash + BT tool, you are coming in under the cost of a Dinan flash...with more power as well
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

I just heard that Advance Auto clears codes for free. Is that true?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E60714' post='1032271' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:45 AM
I just heard that Advance Auto clears codes for free. Is that true?
you should give them a call and ask...

either way...get in the game already.....

Quick Reply: 535i with GIAC Flash