E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535d quad exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

damn.. that looks really good! congrats!!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='639208' date='Aug 4 2008, 09:57 AM
For the DPF bypass, the only thing that i know that is possible, is to modify its interior to get free flow. With only a bypass you will get the cel light and going into limp mode. I'm more concerned about the catalytic that is placed in the exit of the turbo, than the dpf that is placed at the middle of the 535d exhaust system, because the catalytic is what retains the exhaust gases, overheat the turbos and let to the usual broken header gasket.

Thanks ! BMWRINO.

Hi, Tiago
Your sound is great !
Our study here is to build extra thin pipes that bypass the DPF/Cats to feed the rest of the pipes.
Said, 30% of the exhaust flow out w/o the DPF.
Little smoke is observed but the DPF will live longer than original for return.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Originally Posted by ai_0301' post='639235' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:24 PM

Our study here is to build extra thin pipes that bypass the DPF/Cats to feed the rest of the pipes.
Said, 30% of the exhaust flow out w/o the DPF.
Little smoke is observed but the DPF will live longer than original for return.
I already thought on that too . My idea was to put a y-pipe before the DPF with a e-cut valve to control the amount of the exhaust flow to bypass the DPF. There are some e-cut valves that you can control the valve opening by wire or remote control. For normal drive valve closed (100% through DPF, no smoke and good for smoke inspections). For racing valve open 100% (even with this it will be always enough flow through the DPF not to throwing the cell light and go into limp mod).

I also feel that is revs a bit quicker, but i almost didn't felt much difference in the exhaust sound inside the cabin, specialy with the windows closed. When the DPF is in the cleanning process the sound increases a bit. It is really noticible inside the cabin.
Beside the exhaust sound, it increased the intake sound. It is a bit louder now. Maybe this is due to the ecu that are reading more exhaust flow and therefore increased the intake flow also. This happened to my porsche when i installed the cats bypass.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Members

Hi,

can you please tell me exactly what have you done, because I have searched a long time for a quad mod for 535d. I dont know if there are any resonators or anything back of the car but it seems you have clear pipes!? have you removed any resonatorors or original parts and replaced them with something else or have you just added clear pipes?

thank you

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='639292' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:38 AM
I already thought on that too . My idea was to put a y-pipe before the DPF with a e-cut valve to control the amount of the exhaust flow to bypass the DPF. There are some e-cut valves that you can control the valve opening by wire or remote control. For normal drive valve closed (100% through DPF, no smoke and good for smoke inspections). For racing valve open 100% (even with this it will be always enough flow through the DPF not to throwing the cell light and go into limp mod).

I also feel that is revs a bit quicker, but i almost didn't felt much difference in the exhaust sound inside the cabin, specialy with the windows closed. When the DPF is in the cleanning process the sound increases a bit. It is really noticible inside the cabin.
Beside the exhaust sound, it increased the intake sound. It is a bit louder now. Maybe this is due to the ecu that are reading more exhaust flow and therefore increased the intake flow also. This happened to my porsche when i installed the cats bypass.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Clean job!

What will you answer when people will ask you "Is it an M5 ?" .

If you have chance, get a clip... It will suond horrible, but just for curiosity.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

that is fab man..............real good imspiration for all the 535d owners.........truly

i ma consider that type of setup in the future, if i get hold some extra cask...........!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='639292' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:38 AM
I already thought on that too . My idea was to put a y-pipe before the DPF with a e-cut valve to control the amount of the exhaust flow to bypass the DPF.
I also feel that is revs a bit quicker, but i almost didn't felt much difference in the exhaust sound inside the cabin, specialy with the windows closed.

I mentioned that bypass valve to the BMW dealer,too. , they hand made that exhaust for me.
Some American use that valve for better shoot out.

Do you know if ecu need to re-learn from the new setup ? Mine is also remapped.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Originally Posted by ai_0301' post='640074' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:12 PM

Do you know if ecu need to re-learn from the new setup ? Mine is also remapped.
It won't need a new remap because the ECU will adjust by itself, but you have to make sure that the Y-pipe for the bypass is placed after the first O2 sensor.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Members

I see, thank you.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, SAT-NAV Pro, Rear LCI LED's, Xenons, Genuine 172's, Chrome Kidneys, M5 Trunk Finisher..

Very nice that. I want a quad..but can't justify the M5 Rear Bumper yet! ??!! Unless anyone has done a quad Exhaust on a M-Tech Rear Bumper? Looks lovely that!!

Quick Reply: 535d quad exhaust mod