E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530i Audio Set up Journal - AUDIO ENTHUSIATS WELCOMED! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I received my package with Audio equipment for my new installation. Special thanks to Nelson29, Georgieb and Don Amann for their great help and service.

I received the following

2x Jehnert Door Boards with speakers for E60
2x Tru Tech amps 400w each
1x JBL MS-8
Several Harnesses (which are made by Technics, I think)
Dynamat
Speaker wire
RCA's
Center Channel (Micro Precision)

I don't have a first clue how to do this, so I will describe what my installer is telling me he is going to do, so I'd appreciate all expert input on this matter.

First, my installer told me he needs to strip the previous install.

Second, they will take down the door panels to begin Jehnert install, Dynamat job, and speaker cabling.

So far how we doing?

I would really need some help and reassurance with the speaker, ms-8 and amps wiring:

- my installer tells me the speaker cable I got has 4 wires in it, good for 2 speakers, but that I would be better off with a speaker cable that has 6 wires in it, so he can also connect the factory mid, does this makes sense?

- Where does he connect the center channel? (my car didn't have one installed from factory)

- How should he connect the speakers on the amps?, we got 8 channels total to run, 4 door woofers, 1 center channel, 2 doors mids and 2 tweeters

- I think one of the harnesses I got from Technics is specifically to add a sub(s)... but

On the MS-8, where does get the sub-woofer line?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have the ms8 harness from technic and your installer will not need to run new wires for any of the factory speakers as technic harness takes care of that by connecting to the factory wiring from the oem amp.

Thats some nice equipment you got there. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up and I will be getting started with my system as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cleung
I have the ms8 harness from technic and your installer will not need to run new wires for any of the factory speakers as technic harness takes care of that by connecting to the factory wiring from the oem amp.

Thats some nice equipment you got there. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up and I will be getting started with my system as well.
And what about the new speakers/woofers that come with the Jehnert Door boards?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by kdarcia007
And what about the new speakers/woofers that come with the Jehnert Door boards?
Those you will have to run new wires for if you plan on using the factory speakers still.

For my setup I will be replacing all of the factory speakers so I will be able to reuse the factory wires and not have to run new ones with technics harness.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Kelvin-

There's 2 harness. One goes from your M-ask unit to input 1 and 2 of the ms-8. the second harness is connected to the underseat subwoofers. the amp is next to the tcu in the left side of the trunk. the output of that harness goes to input channels 7 and 8 of your MS-8. From there, you have to run new wire for the center all the way back to ms-8. run it thru the middle of the car. You gonna have to remove the passenger seat and back seat for the installation. ill get back to you on how to wire the jehnerts in a bit.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
Kelvin-

There's 2 harness. One goes from your M-ask unit to input 1 and 2 of the ms-8. the second harness is connected to the underseat subwoofers. the amp is next to the tcu in the left side of the trunk. the output of that harness goes to input channels 7 and 8 of your MS-8. From there, you have to run new wire for the center all the way back to ms-8. run it thru the middle of the car. You gonna have to remove the passenger seat and back seat for the installation. ill get back to you on how to wire the jehnerts in a bit.
Thanks Nelson!

M-ask is the head unit, right?

I thought we don't need the under seat woofers?, or are you referring to the woofer's amp only?

I thought that all speaker/sub signals were coming from the head unit, bypassing/disconnecting the oem amp in the trunk of the car... that's the way my installer did it the first time because I didn't have Technics' harnesses, so he got speaker signal from oem head unit to the audiocontrol lc6i and from there to the amps.

How should he do it now?

BTW bud, I am switching from 2 Kicker CVT subs, to a single JL AUDIO 12W7-3 , we will put it behind the seats facing the inside of the cabin, they will remore all metal behind the seats, leaving only the 12W7's enclosure's behind the seats, I am powering it with a 1550W @2ohm amp, any advise will be much appreciated
Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Here's the pics of how i installed the ms-8 display

Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Contributors

Perfect, that's the location I want too!

Thanks for the audio file, i got it.

So I should just burn that audio file like an audio CD, insert it into the cars CD players and the MS-8 SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY recognize it?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kdarcia007
Perfect, that's the location I want too!

Thanks for the audio file, i got it.

So I should just burn that audio file like an audio CD, insert it into the cars CD players and the MS-8 SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY recognize it?
Yea.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
Yea.

Hey Nelson,

I have a question, as you know these are the speakers I have

Two tweeters
Two 4' mids
Four 6' woofers (2 each front door)
Two 4' rear deck
One 12' JBL SUB

Total: 10 speakers, 1 sub

THE MS-8 has 8 channels, my installer is having problems figuring how to connect all these on the MS-8, I need URGENT help guys.

How should all my speakers be connected on the MS-8?, which channels for what?

PLEASE HELP ME

Quick Reply: 530i Audio Set up Journal - AUDIO ENTHUSIATS WELCOMED! :)