E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530D Remaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='277504' date='May 3 2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, the other week me and a few mates went over to Amsterdam and there was this bird with the most amazing.........

Oh, not those sort of stories!!
Just get it remapped mate,it makes all the difference to these cars, I certainly have no regrets, and never heard anyone else say they have regretted it either.
I am thinking of a remap, but can't find a straight answer to thr following :

1. Do you tell your insurance company?
2. If you do tell them, what happens to the premium
3. What happens at the BMW service - do they open up the car see what you have done and invalidate the 3 year warranty?
4. Can it be un-mapped at the end of the lease
5. "Superchips" claim 231hp goes to 277, 500Nm goes to 632 - is DMS better?
6. Can my precious E60 handle the power increase? - is the transmission on a 530d (231) the same as the 535?

Please help
Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='303246' date='Jun 26 2006, 12:14 PM
I am thinking of a remap, but can't find a straight answer to thr following :

1. Do you tell your insurance company?
2. If you do tell them, what happens to the premium
3. What happens at the BMW service - do they open up the car see what you have done and invalidate the 3 year warranty?
4. Can it be un-mapped at the end of the lease
5. "Superchips" claim 231hp goes to 277, 500Nm goes to 632 - is DMS better?
6. Can my precious E60 handle the power increase? - is the transmission on a 530d (231) the same as the 535?

Please help
I have investigated this while I had my E46 328i and wanted to go for some tuning, which I didn't do at the end and is a main reason I went for an inherently more powerful engine on my next car.

Basically tuning is permitted if it is within EC guidelines regarding homologation, emissions, etc., country specific reqiurements etc. Insurance companies always want to know about mods that change the power of an auto and therefore it's risk group.
In your insurance policy there is a clause where it states: "....damages will not be covered in cases where a change in the vehicles' state increases it's risk status...." You are free to make mods but your insurance company will probably up the premiums when notified. And is logical. Of course EVERYONE risks this point.

Basically if you were involved in an serious accident ( high speed or fatality related ) - god forbid - insurance companies will investigate deeply...if they find engine tuning etc without prior notice you are legally screwed.
In Belgium for example a new law is in effect since 15 May 2006 TUNING Apparently they will pay out the damages to 3rd party and then reclaim from you ! Insurance companies there base their premiums on engine output. Even spacers are frowned upon because they change the wheelbase specification of the vehicule...go figure.

In Holland - same story more or less. Premiums are based on value - mods that increase value must be stated. Mods that increase RISK also deliver higher premiums. Again, mostly everyone don't notify. I mean to add a Eisenmann muffler can't really increase your RISK bla bla bla - but if motor tuning is discovered after an accident.....that might be a different story.
eg. a 50hp increase for the oil burners will be a very profound and juicy aspect of insurance companies wiggling themselves out of covering you if you didn't notify.

Obviously no warranty from BMW. They refused to lift the Vmax on my car for example, but I could get it done via a tuning company for 700euros. Why do you think that is?
Yes, you can unmap.
Yes, your car can handle it.

Basically from a standpoint of insurance read carefully your policy and take your chances!!
Personally I wouldn't notify - but I wouldn't be able to complain over the consequences.