E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

3 Reasons Why You Need A Quaife Limited Slip Diff...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HP Autowerks
We are in Santa Barbara, CA. The price is $1450 with free shipping to the 48 States(up to $35 value) and free stub axle seals(a $39 value).

If we can get 5 people together we can order a batch of these units. Then we can do $1305 with free shipping and stub axles. We can save each person an additional $145 on top of the free stub axle seals and shipping.
Count me as one for the group buy.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would the Quaife set up work for auto's? or are they just for the high powered with manual trans??
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

Your differential is indpendent of your transmission so the quaifes will work for both automatic and manual 5 series. This unit is not changing the ratio of the differntial which is why it will work for either. I'm almost positive you could change the rear ratio as well but we haven't tried on a 5 series yet.

In regards, to the question about behaving like an open diff, this is what Kevin from Birds Auto had to say:

Quaife say this open diff characteristic is a "percieved problem". So technically it is true, but in practical terms it is hard to find a scenario where it manifests a problem. They also pointed out to me that the current level of BMW traction systems (and the so-called "E-Diff") actually contribute to eliminate that percieved problem.

Moreover, the positive Quaife characteristics actually far outweigh that single (percieved) advantage of any locking diff.

If the customer is asked to make a choice between a locking diff and a torque biasing diff. he needs to know that the former can produce sudden destabilising oversteer on the limit of grip, but generally will produce understeer when it functions, whereas the Quaife is most definitely not afflicted by those two problems. Compared with a percieved problem, which is really hard to replicate, it should be an easy choice.

Just as a further qualifier, I have been trying to find some conditions (it's snowing and icy over here) where I can get a rear wheel on the ice, and the other on a more grippy surface. So far I have driven 58 miles on test trying to find this weird condition, and can say I eventually found such a surface.

With one wheel on ice, and the other on clean tarmac, and with the DSC off (in accordance with the BMW recommendations), you can very clearly feel the spinning wheel brake being applied, with lots of DSC warning coming up on the dash, and the car accelerates properly, with the Quaife working happily as normal.

It is a bit scary, though, and to be honest, it's not a good idea to drive that way in icy conditions (especially on summer tyres!)
Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

ok that aligns with what JM said, and also other infos I have found on the subject
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmitev
ok that aligns with what JM said, and also other infos I have found on the subject
I hope the group buy comes together, it is a great product at a very good price. I have no other interest in this or HP other than someone who wants to save $145....

For anyone who wants to read some great reference material on differentials, go here: Taylor Race Engineering - Comparison of Differential Types As a non-engineer, I had to read this and other materials, and look at a few exploded diagrams more than a few times, but things are starting to make sense.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
I hope the group buy comes together, it is a great product at a very good price. I have no other interest in this or HP other than someone who wants to save $145....

For anyone who wants to read some great reference material on differentials, go here: Taylor Race Engineering - Comparison of Differential Types As a non-engineer, I had to read this and other materials, and look at a few exploded diagrams more than a few times, but things are starting to make sense.
The potential savings can be greater than $200 if you consider the free shipping to the 48 States we are offering and the free stub axle seals.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Members

so if i wanted to get this for my 545i Auto, is there a reccommended place in the uk i can attend to, and also what particular part would i need?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by d4rkchocolate
so if i wanted to get this for my 545i Auto, is there a reccommended place in the uk i can attend to, and also what particular part would i need?

Birdsgarage, Uxbridge.
Ask for the price, wait Kevin's answer THEN recall him he promised E60 forum members a 10% off!!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW
Birdsgarage, Uxbridge.
Ask for the price, wait Kevin's answer THEN recall him he promised E60 forum members a 10% off!!

nice one alex, ur a gent.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Members

Ask and you shall receive.

Quaife group buy! https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...ife-group-buy/

Quick Reply: 3 Reasons Why You Need A Quaife Limited Slip Diff...