E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2Point5 SpecDock Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke down and bought the 2Point5 Spec.Dock for my E60 530i. I actually had a ?custom? installation that I installed myself. I ripped that out and installed this instead. See here for the original thread on this- https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=59524&hl=

I removed my original installation for a number of reasons:
1. My original installation could not fit an iPhone with a case on, since the tray I bondo?d in couldn?t be interchanged. The spec.dock is made to accept any universal dock insert, which is great for using my iPhone 3G with an Incipio Feather case on it. It came with a iPhone 3G universal dock insert which I set aside. I?m actually using a black #6 dock insert that I got from my Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere.
2. My original installation had connection issues because the connector I glued in was not angled correctly and did not protrude enough out of the dock insert for a good connection. In my custom installation, after a few turns, my iPhone would wiggle itself loose and I would have to push it back down. This issue does not exist with the spec.dock. It is made very well, looks good, and is extremely sturdy, much sturdier than my previous custom installation that I labored on for at least 10 hours.

The installation of the spec.dock was easy. The installation instructions PDF was very clear and easy to read. I didn?t scratch a single piece of my trim. I actually used a metal 1.5 inch putty knife as my pry tool. Just to be safe, I just put a thin t-shirt over it before prying on anything. Worked great. The spec.dock I ordered was made for an aux input. I stuffed the power and ground wire into the connector that connects the wires to the cigarette lighter and clicked it together and had power. There is a chip built into the actual dock connector underneath that reduces the voltage from 12V to 5V which correctly charges the iPhone 3G, without getting that annoying ?This accessory not supported? garbage on the iPhone screen. You plug it in and you are good to go. Then I ran the mini-jack cable that came with my Griffin Auto-Pilot from the Aux Input in my glovebox to the center console and connected it to the male L/R mini-jack coming off the spec.dock using a 1/8? stereo coupler from Rat Shack. I then tucked the slack behind the shifter as there is plenty of space in there.

This was much easier than my original install which involved bondo work, buying a Griffin Auto-Pilot and doing hours of work of sanding and painting to get it to look right and fit right, only to find out after I installed it all that it really didn?t work right.

Now I have another great looking installation that will be compatible with future generation of iPods or iPhones thanks to this universal spec.dock.

If you are thinking about doing it yourself, I can honestly tell you, it?s not worth it. After you buy the parts, and put the time into it, you may as well just have bought this. I wish I had known about spec.dock the first time around! It was a well spent $150.

It?s nice being able to play Pandora or Internet Radio through my Aux Input. Or use Navigon navigation software. I actually additionally have an old iPod Photo on my OEM BMW iPod adaptor in the glovebox.

Pics (taken with an iPhone). Also, instructions.
Attached Thumbnails 2Point5 SpecDock Installed!-photo.jpg   2Point5 SpecDock Installed!-photo2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
e60_install.pdf (1.39 MB, 312 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Wow. That looks great! I'm jealous
Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

I wish they made these for my 09...the ashtray is slightly different
Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rkhettry23' post='957030' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:32 PM
I wish they made these for my 09...the ashtray is slightly different
acribb - Thanks for the post! We really appreciate it, and hope that you enjoy the spec.dock for years to come. Please let me know if you need anything...

rkhettry23 - We're currently working on prototyping the newer ashtray design for the 5-series, so I'd expect something sooner rather than later (possibly a month or so). Please feel free to check out the website or email us directly if you have any questions.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the update. I am interested, keep us posted.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rkhettry23
Thanks for the update. I am interested, keep us posted.
Did 2point5 ever release a Spec.dock for the LCI 5 series E60?

I am looking for a docking station to plug in my iPhone. I have the mObridge iPod integration, so just the mounting ware needed.

RKhettry, nice rims. Look like 19" VMRs? 550 Sport? I am in a tuned 535 with Mtech kit. Our cars look like twins.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Ocean
Did 2point5 ever release a Spec.dock for the LCI 5 series E60?

I am looking for a docking station to plug in my iPhone. I have the mObridge iPod integration, so just the mounting ware needed.

RKhettry, nice rims. Look like 19" VMRs? 550 Sport? I am in a tuned 535 with Mtech kit. Our cars look like twins.
Check out specdock.com. they have it there.

http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...V2I/Detail.bok