E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20W LED LCI angel eyes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i CSR

Originally Posted by Trinity Autosport
I will have them soon. Its not as bright as the new angel eyes on new bmw's nothing can come close to that right now
Thanks for being honest. Guess I'll pass Still waiting for the technology to be there.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trinity Autosport
They can claim all they want. It will not fit lci e60's. We tried for 30 mins. If you modify the oem headlight then it can.
Uh-oh, ordered a 20W set from HighPerformanceBulbs.com and I'm assuming they are the same units. D#!$%@&, I wish I could've stumbled across this message before I ordered!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Jim165
Uh-oh, ordered a 20W set from HighPerformanceBulbs.com and I'm assuming they are the same units. D#!$%@&, I wish I could've stumbled across this message before I ordered!
It'll probably fit if you cut crap, lol. Being that, it's kind of scary to cut crap not knowing whether or not it's worth it, and if heat will become an issue (especially with how tight E60s' space is for AE).
Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
It'll probably fit if you cut crap, lol. Being that, it's kind of scary to cut crap not knowing whether or not it's worth it, and if heat will become an issue (especially with how tight E60s' space is for AE).
Yeah, I guess i'll see how much cutting is necessary and report back
Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Jim165
Yeah, I guess i'll see how much cutting is necessary and report back
Lots of it! Lol aside, you probably will have to gut the existing mount to make room and figure out a way to have it hold in place, that would be my guess.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Okay, as stated, these units do not fit, but I think the issue is simply the result of the rubber gasket being too thick or the locking tabs on the shaft being too thick. There will be enough clearance within the housing if one of these issues were corrected. The unit will only turn a quarter turn and it will not lock. Light output-wise, I'm not really impressed. Compared to the OEMs they're pretty much invisible to me. I'm definitely going HID after looking at these. I'll post pics for comparison tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Just a follow up to why the 20W don't fit our E60s...as you can see in the pic below, it's simply a matter of the gasket/silicone bead being too thick, or the locking tabs are too thick. The silicone bead is uneven on this unit,so that can contribute as well. The halogen is on the left. There is just slightly too little clearance between the gasket and the locking tabs and the unit can't turn and lock into place. You can't push the unit in further to squeeze the gasket because it's not flexible. I think they will fit fine once this is remedied.

However, I'm not totally happy with the LED's output now that I've seen them in person. I think the pics make them look better than what I'm seeing with my own eye.
This is a comparison of the 20W to the OEM halogen bulbs, 20ft away, 20W LEDS on the passenger side, OEM on driver's side with sun to the left behind some trees. I taped them in for demonstration purposes:

As you can see, they light up the rings, but that's about it. Even raising the camera one foot higher will cause the outer ring to disappear and they just don't glow like the halogens.
A bit closer:

I'm thinking HID will be the way to go for me...
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Members

isn't that what AE is like?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

As we stated when we first received these bulbs, they are not what we expected and don't work without some help.
We will announce a new one in the coming weeks as we solve the issue.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
New Members

Sub'd

Quick Reply: 20W LED LCI angel eyes!