E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2008 M-Tech Aero Kit UPDATE BULLETIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black Nasca Leather w/ Ventilated Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Auto Transmission w/ Shift Paddles, PDC, Rear Side Airbag, Automatic Sunshades, Heads Up Display, Sat, HD Radio, Navigation, Logic 7

To all of you who have had problems or heard of problems about the 2008 M-Tech/Aero Kit for the 2008 LCI e60, there has been a bulletin released by BMW that makes this kit fit the way it is intended to fit.

This info came courtesy of Garry at Newport BMW in Rhode Island. For those of you who do not know him, he has been one the most valuable sources of information for me as well as 25% off list price for any part!!! I will PM you his phone number to anyone interested.

Also, to those of you who already know this info or if there is another thread on it, I apologize foir the redundancy.

The first issuse is the PDC sensors issue. You must purchase new PDC sensors and new wiring harnesses for the sensors to get your PDC system to work with this kit. EVEN IF YOU HAVE A 2008 Model e60, it does not matter if you buy the 2008 M-Tech/Aero kit, the sesnor holes are too big. Apparently when BMW engineered the 2008 LCI, they made a change to the size of the PDC sensors and made the much smaller. The 2008 kit is engineered after 2007 model sensros, even thought the kit is made for the 2008. Confused yet?!

You also need to buy some extra shock absorber bumper inserts to get the bumper to fit corretly and eliminate that gap everone has been getting.

Also, if you have a 2008 535, you need to purchase some new airflow ports for the braking system ( I think that is what it is for). This is not needed for the 528.

Anyway, at the end fo the day, you need to spend about another $1,200 in parts for the new sensors and everything to make the kit fit correctly. Kind of a shock!! This is the same price as the kit by itself!!! I think BMW missed the boat here when they designed the 08 kit not to consider the sensors. Or maybe they just found it a way to get more parts business.

Anyway, you can either talk to Garry @ Newport BMW to get the full scoop or I can PM you a parts list to make this all work.

By the way, thanks to Rich in British Columbia, Canada for helping get all of this info sorted out.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i Monaco Blue, Cream Beige, 20x8.5 and 20x10 Iforged Vertex, Toyo T1R, M aero kit coming soon (From Quad M)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Could you please PM me the parts for the airflow of the brakes? I dont have PDC. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Dalton550' post='539975' date='Mar 5 2008, 05:16 AM
To all of you who have had problems or heard of problems about the 2008 M-Tech/Aero Kit for the 2008 LCI e60, there has been a bulletin released by BMW that makes this kit fit the way it is intended to fit.

This info came courtesy of Garry at Newport BMW in Rhode Island. For those of you who do not know him, he has been one the most valuable sources of information for me as well as 25% off list price for any part!!! I will PM you his phone number to anyone interested.

Also, to those of you who already know this info or if there is another thread on it, I apologize foir the redundancy.

The first issuse is the PDC sensors issue. You must purchase new PDC sensors and new wiring harnesses for the sensors to get your PDC system to work with this kit. EVEN IF YOU HAVE A 2008 Model e60, it does not matter if you buy the 2008 M-Tech/Aero kit, the sesnor holes are too big. Apparently when BMW engineered the 2008 LCI, they made a change to the size of the PDC sensors and made the much smaller. The 2008 kit is engineered after 2007 model sensros, even thought the kit is made for the 2008. Confused yet?!

You also need to buy some extra shock absorber bumper inserts to get the bumper to fit corretly and eliminate that gap everone has been getting.

Also, if you have a 2008 535, you need to purchase some new airflow ports for the braking system ( I think that is what it is for). This is not needed for the 528.

Anyway, at the end fo the day, you need to spend about another $1,200 in parts for the new sensors and everything to make the kit fit correctly. Kind of a shock!! This is the same price as the kit by itself!!! I think BMW missed the boat here when they designed the 08 kit not to consider the sensors. Or maybe they just found it a way to get more parts business.

Anyway, you can either talk to Garry @ Newport BMW to get the full scoop or I can PM you a parts list to make this all work.

By the way, thanks to Rich in British Columbia, Canada for helping get all of this info sorted out.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Wow....that really sucks if you have an '08 and don't have the M-Tech kit. For those looking into '08's and are want the M-Tech kit, I highly suggest you order it at the time you place the order for your car to avoid this issue. An extra $1200 is ludicrous. And yes, Garry is awesome! been using him for years. Highly suggest him for all your OEM parts, including wheels.

Good info though. Thanks Dalton.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black Nasca Leather w/ Ventilated Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Auto Transmission w/ Shift Paddles, PDC, Rear Side Airbag, Automatic Sunshades, Heads Up Display, Sat, HD Radio, Navigation, Logic 7

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='539999' date='Mar 5 2008, 08:50 AM
Wow....that really sucks if you have an '08 and don't have the M-Tech kit. For those looking into '08's and are want the M-Tech kit, I highly suggest you order it at the time you place the order for your car to avoid this issue. An extra $1200 is ludicrous. And yes, Garry is awesome! been using him for years. Highly suggest him for all your OEM parts, including wheels.

Good info though. Thanks Dalton.
Trust me, had I been able to add this kit at the time I ordered my car, I would have. Coupled with the fact that I am STILL waiting for my kit from Quad-m, this hole thing has been a nightmare. No disrespect to Tony @ quad-M, he has had some setbacks from the factory but 4 months is still 4 MONTHS regardless of the reasons why. I am just glad Rich from Canada had this problem prior to my install. He went through more hell and found all this out once his installer tried to put the kit on. He brought this to my attention and Garry @ Newport confirmed it.

Garry told me BMW put out a bulletin out that explains all that needs to be done to make this kit work. The thing that chaps my azz is that why can't they make these modifications to the kit or just include the parts needed?

$2,200 for the kit & paint + another $1,200 in extra parts + $500 for install = $3,900. I am glad I got a good price from Tony, otherwise I would be into the bank account for much more.

But at the end of the day once my kit gets on, I am sure my money woes will go away once I see how beautiful she is going to look. Coupled with the 166 rims I have on there now...SWEET!

-Brian
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Members

Thanks for the props Brian, and good luck to you, and everyone else who has a 2008 and trying to get the m-tech bumpers! I hope this info saves others from the migraine that I had to go through when I went down this road!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Does the 07 kit work ?? That way you don't get those fugly reflectors
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='540167' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:08 PM
Does the 07 kit work ?? That way you don't get those fugly reflectors
From what Garry @ NEwport BMW tells me, the 07 DOES NOT fit with the 08 LCI model. You need the 08 Kit, which needs an addtional $500 in parts, $1200 if you have PDC to fit right. Kind of Stupid huh!?

You may want to call Garry him to confirm to 07 fitment. 401-847-9600

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Members

westcoast -- i have the '07 kit exactly for that reason, and although promised that it would "fit", unfortunately, the front bumper does NOT fit without some serious additional work...and even then it's not 100%.

and i'm not just referring to the PDC issue -- it's primarily due to how far the absorber bar behind the bumpers stick out more in the '08's than previous gens...at least that's what my understanding was from my bodyshop who did the work.

side skirts and rear bumpers fit just fine.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

I bought the 2008 Mtech Kit for my 2008 528 from Tony (Quad m). I just bought 2 new absorbers for $100 or so. The fit is fine.

I don't have PDC so I can't speak on that. But an extra $1200 - wow that is crazy.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by the chang' post='540240' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:37 PM
I bought the 2008 Mtech Kit for my 2008 528 from Tony (Quad m). I just bought 2 new absorbers for $100 or so. The fit is fine.

I don't have PDC so I can't speak on that. But an extra $1200 - wow that is crazy.
Being that you have the 528, you do not need the air ducts that the 535 requires, so that saves you about another $105. There is a aluminum part for $309 that BMW says that needs to be replaced but Garry tells me it is a waste to replace since you can reuse the old one.

The really stupid thing about the PDC sensors is that I only paid $500 to add it to my car when I ordered it. The sensors alone cost $147 list and I need 8? How does that make any sense?! It must be that NEW math!

Quick Reply: 2008 M-Tech Aero Kit UPDATE BULLETIN!!!