E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2008 550i Resonators Removed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally did it and I guess I was the test dummy on the site...and i have to say I AM SO HAPPY I DID IT!

Today I had the intention on swapping RPI exhausts with my old 530i, but the shop told me that it was not possible since I have 2.5 inch piping on the RPI and 3 inch piping on my stock exhaust. SOOO, I decided why not remove all the resonators, and thats exactly what I did. After 4 hours and $400 later, I opened this beast up on the roads and boy was i impressed. It has such a deep growl but nothing too loud. It was just a couple of notches louder than the stock exhaust but nothing too big. I was expecting something louder but overall, I am extremely happy with my decision.

Let me know if you guys have any questions but the video should speak for itself

Removed: 2 Cylinder Resonators and 1 rectangular resonator

Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

I am happy for you
but I would never believe why a shop cant convert a 2.5 to 3 inch or a 3inch to 2.5, you gotta be kidding me man.

Okay, look at this -- http://store.airflo.com/exad2idto3od.html
Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
I am happy for you
but I would never believe why a shop cant convert a 2.5 to 3 inch or a 3inch to 2.5, you gotta be kidding me man.

This, LOL

I think dude was pulling your leg.

Cograts on your mod. I'm sure it sounds great when smashing
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Members

maybe installer meant he doesnt recommend downsizing the pipe from 3 to 2.5?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by j0nblayz
maybe installer meant he doesnt recommend downsizing the pipe from 3 to 2.5?
He first said he could not do it and then he said even if he was able to do it it would create a lot of "back pressure" and would not sound right...I chose the cheapest way possible and would have gone with magnaflow if it were the same price as doing this little mod
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

I am happy for you

Haha, wow, if only i knew a little more about piping I would have shoved this picture in his face! Dammit Eh, its fine, i get bored quite often and when I save up some cash monay I will do this as well. But I think if i end up putting the RPI exhaust in without any resonators it will be insane!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

But why would you wanna DECREASE the diameter of the piping ? I dnt like how it sounds when letting off the throttle, maybe sounds better in person
Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
But why would you wanna DECREASE the diameter of the piping ? I dnt like how it sounds when letting off the throttle, maybe sounds better in person
its a nice popping noise, people actually buy x-pipes to have that sound but i didnt need to. Its much better in person!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Audio and light cant really be captured real time from a recorder, what you see and hear as far as both these go is a good mile away from reality.

As for the sound we hear when he lets go of the gas,thats the noise that was canceled by the resonator before, by having noise waves intercept each other, since the resonator is gone now - The waves intercept but dont cancel each other out and instead create that popping sound.

Personally, I am going to meet up with Jashy to see how it is in Person
Really looking forward to it,
Nice Mod !
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

Audio and light cant really be captured real time from a recorder, what you see and hear as far as both these go is a good mile away from reality.

As for the sound we hear when he lets go of the gas,thats the noise that was canceled by the resonator before, by having noise waves intercept each other, since the resonator is gone now - The waves intercept but dont cancel each other out and instead create that popping sound.

Personally, I am going to meet up with Jashy to see how it is in Person
Really looking forward to it,
Nice Mod !
Cant wait for you to listen to it and see your reaction. I completely agree that the recorder cannot capture what this mod really sounds like in person! Ill be seeing you soon!

Quick Reply: 2008 550i Resonators Removed!