E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20" Hankook V12 or Continental ExtremeContact DW

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of all the tires I've gone through (Michelin PS2, Falken 452, Continentals, & hankook Ventus V12) hands down for the price range, nothing compares to the Ventus V12s. Of course the higher end Michelins feel and run slightly better, but considering the hankooks cost half as much and they perform almost as good, I would go with the Ventus V12s...you will not be disappointed.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by balbs
Due to the DWs being softer, do you think it would compromise on rim protection?
I would say, if anything, it is actually better for your rims - softer sidewalls are able to absorb more energy in the flexing sidewalls. Which means less energy is being transfered to the rim.

Originally Posted by dbae1978
Out of all the tires I've gone through (Michelin PS2, Falken 452, Continentals, & hankook Ventus V12) hands down for the price range, nothing compares to the Ventus V12s. Of course the higher end Michelins feel and run slightly better, but considering the hankooks cost half as much and they perform almost as good, I would go with the Ventus V12s...you will not be disappointed.
Yeah, but have you tried the DW's? I think you'd change your mind, if you did.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I would say, if anything, it is actually better for your rims - softer sidewalls are able to absorb more energy in the flexing sidewalls. Which means less energy is being transfered to the rim.
Oh okay, I was thinking a softer sidewall would compress easier thereby the pothole would reach the rim easier. That's not the case?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Of those 2 choices I'd pick the Hankooks. For 2 reasons: they will last longer than the Contis and cost much less. The Contis are great tires, but it's hard to justify the cost of Contis or michelins, since many others offer comparable performance and higher treadlife and cost MUCH less, I'd go with the Hankooks.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Oh okay, I was thinking a softer sidewall would compress easier thereby the pothole would reach the rim easier. That's not the case?
That would be true in a tire with an overly soft sidewall. But in fact, it is sort of the opposite - the softer the sidewall, the more it absorbs, thereby protecting your rims better. Counter-intuitive as it may seem, it is proven by both science and practice

Originally Posted by pjinca
Of those 2 choices I'd pick the Hankooks. For 2 reasons: they will last longer than the Contis and cost much less. The Contis are great tires, but it's hard to justify the cost of Contis or michelins, since many others offer comparable performance and higher treadlife and cost MUCH less, I'd go with the Hankooks.
John, this will be the first time I'll say this: you are misinformed. These particular Contis happen to have the thread life to make ANY other tire envious (and possibly obsolete). As for the cost, I believe the difference in prices is under 200 bucks - which is EASILY justified by the extended life of the Contis.

Normally, I'd be with you, dissing those Contis myself, but I've been driving on DWS's for a year now and I can personally attest to their awesomeness! DW's are even better - I got the DWS's for the winters, and it was the best tire purchase ever. If you trust me at all, you'll at least check my facts out on your own Not that I have anything against Hankooks, but they just seem to be the inferior tire now.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i '01 IS300

Conti's DW. Just bought a set of 20" for $1250 out the door with full certs. Love them. I've had Goodyear F1 G3, Yokohama Advan S4 but no Hankook experience. I had similar requirements as you. The comfort is there but it was my first 20". You feel more bumps but that's the 20" and the quietness is pretty awesome.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Amethest Grey 530i--AC Schnitzer Kit all the way around--Quad Magna Flow Exhaust--20" MMR wheel 4.5 inch lip--

Hey guys I'm in the same boat kind of I'm actually trying trying to decide between the DW's and the DWS. I live in Vegas so I don't need the DWS but if anyone has gone to discount tire lately the DW's are discontinued. So my dilemma is spend less and and not have to deal with the hassle of having them shipped to discount tire and than paying separate mounting/balancing.

I read one member has the DWS do you have pics? My main concern is I don't want to loose the sporty aggressive look my ride currently has, will i do this with the DWS?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Discontinued?? Aren't the DWs a fairly new model?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by starpup
Hey guys I'm in the same boat kind of I'm actually trying trying to decide between the DW's and the DWS. I live in Vegas so I don't need the DWS but if anyone has gone to discount tire lately the DW's are discontinued. So my dilemma is spend less and and not have to deal with the hassle of having them shipped to discount tire and than paying separate mounting/balancing.

I read one member has the DWS do you have pics? My main concern is I don't want to loose the sporty aggressive look my ride currently has, will i do this with the DWS?
If you get snow, you'll need DWS, if you're going to use them in the snowy/wet weather.

Sorry, don't have pics, but they are somewhat akin to PS2, looks-wise. If you google "DWS", you're bound to find a bunch of pics.

Discontinued?? Aren't the DWs a fairly new model?
I think maybe there was a size that was discontinued, or the site he was using stopped carrying them. AFAIK, they are NOT discontinued at all.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I'll vote for Continental ExtremeContact DWS, plus they have a one year road hazard warranty, no questions asked!

Quick Reply: 20" Hankook V12 or Continental ExtremeContact DW