E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2 Piece wheels welded into 1 piece, can they be taken apart?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

I recently noticed that my 2 piece wheels have the faces welded onto the lip from the back. I am trying to powdercoat one set but all of the places I called informed me that I could either powdercoat the entire wheel one color or I would have to take the faces off somehow if I only want the faces powdercoated.

Anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas/places where I can get the wheels taken apart?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TakmaN
I recently noticed that my 2 piece wheels have the faces welded onto the lip from the back. I am trying to powdercoat one set but all of the places I called informed me that I could either powdercoat the entire wheel one color or I would have to take the faces off somehow if I only want the faces powdercoated.

Anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas/places where I can get the wheels taken apart?
Gimme a call when you're free in regards, Ross....LoL
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Dont they have a certain type of tape to mask of the part that you dont want powdercoated?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sam@sleekmotoring
Dont they have a certain type of tape to mask of the part that you dont want powdercoated?
Yup but they said they would charge a lot more for the prep work. They didn't say how much but it had the tone of "I shouldn't bother telling you because it's a rip off".
Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

When I had my one piece deep dish wheels, I was told that I could get the wheels PC'd however I wanted it.

Maybe you should check around to see your best price while keeping your wheels one piece. It may end up saving you more money then to separate the pieces and get the faces PC'd.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Contributors

wait why were your 2 pieces welded into 1 piece?

im confused on that to begin with
Old 05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius
Maybe you should check around to see your best price while keeping your wheels one piece. It may end up saving you more money then to seperate the peices and get the faces PC'd.

When I had my one piece deep dish wheels, I was told that I could get the wheels PC'd however I wanted it.
That's what I was thinking but 2/2 of the most recommended shops said the same thing. Guess I'll call more. Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
wait why were your 2 pieces welded into 1 piece?

im confused on that to begin with
No idea, I guess that's how DPE makes/finishes their wheels? Both of mine are like that.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TakmaN
That's what I was thinking but 2/2 of the most recommended shops said the same thing. Guess I'll call more. Thanks for the heads up!

No idea, I guess that's how DPE makes/finishes their wheels? Both of mine are like that.

ohhhhhhhhh i know what you are talking about now and yeah mine are like that too

just have them mask it off, they are being super lazy and just dont want to do it i guess
Old 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Ross,

I would definitely try to keep it as 1 piece and PC them. I think cutting the weld off would damage the structural integrity of the wheels.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AKAlius
Ross,

I would definitely try to keep it as 1 piece and PC them. I think cutting the weld off would damage the structural integrity of the wheels.

i agree, just PC the whole wheel or tape off the areas you dont want PCd but dont try to pry apart the weld

Quick Reply: 2 Piece wheels welded into 1 piece, can they be taken apart?!