E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2 exciting options for the N52 engine-finally!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a MY06 then you have the n52 engine. People in 2006 were still buying the MY05 but depends on the MY-model year

The OE tuning you posted am not sure if that is the same thing or not--it sounds like the one you linked is a chip and the one I am talking about is a ecu flash. They were going to utlize the EZ flash tool but that was not working and now they are going to basically ship you out their tool for 50 bucks and you use that to laod the tune then you ship it back to them-so overall price is 500 bucks

The big seller for me is the valvetronics are changed so in essence its like doing a mild cam swap compared to every other tune out there just plays with the ignition timing and A/F-which is fine but really limits to a 5 hp gain if that--the PBX is already an awesome option for us-I cant explain it to you and you have to try it to see but it is a hell of a difference in thrust--its not always about peak hp gains-it may have minimal peak gains but even if it can boost hp a few hp throughout the entire range than you feel it.

The other big seller is they can up the revs to 7300 to work with the new higher valve lift--so if you are not one to push your car and rev it highly often you wont benefit much from this tune. YOu really have to drive the n52 at 5-7k revs to get any power out of it-I love the engine for that feature. I have always loved low displacment high revving engines--what the M3 used to be. So keep that in mind. But if you are rev happy this will keep gaining power to 7300 rpms and also keep you in a lower gear for 300 more rpms which in itself is a gain in performance.

If you are interested follow along at e90post.com-under the NA engine board. The supercharger is in the works and the guy doing it is much more of a small operation than ESS and he seems like a stand up guy--a real enthusiast who has tried variosu things like headers and reported back. Depending on how happy I am with the tune-Ill see if that supercharger happens I may jump on it

Atleast there are OPTIONs-until now really there was nothing of use--then came the pbx and now this stuff.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Diamond
if you have a MY06 then you have the n52 engine. People in 2006 were still buying the MY05 but depends on the MY-model year

The OE tuning you posted am not sure if that is the same thing or not--it sounds like the one you linked is a chip and the one I am talking about is a ecu flash. They were going to utlize the EZ flash tool but that was not working and now they are going to basically ship you out their tool for 50 bucks and you use that to laod the tune then you ship it back to them-so overall price is 500 bucks

The big seller for me is the valvetronics are changed so in essence its like doing a mild cam swap compared to every other tune out there just plays with the ignition timing and A/F-which is fine but really limits to a 5 hp gain if that--the PBX is already an awesome option for us-I cant explain it to you and you have to try it to see but it is a hell of a difference in thrust--its not always about peak hp gains-it may have minimal peak gains but even if it can boost hp a few hp throughout the entire range than you feel it.

The other big seller is they can up the revs to 7300 to work with the new higher valve lift--so if you are not one to push your car and rev it highly often you wont benefit much from this tune. YOu really have to drive the n52 at 5-7k revs to get any power out of it-I love the engine for that feature. I have always loved low displacment high revving engines--what the M3 used to be. So keep that in mind. But if you are rev happy this will keep gaining power to 7300 rpms and also keep you in a lower gear for 300 more rpms which in itself is a gain in performance.

If you are interested follow along at e90post.com-under the NA engine board. The supercharger is in the works and the guy doing it is much more of a small operation than ESS and he seems like a stand up guy--a real enthusiast who has tried variosu things like headers and reported back. Depending on how happy I am with the tune-Ill see if that supercharger happens I may jump on it

Atleast there are OPTIONs-until now really there was nothing of use--then came the pbx and now this stuff.

Great write-up .
Keep us posted my friend, I wish the guy doing all the research and development Good luck.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

2.Gintani is also coming out with a Supercharger system which should be priced around 4k which will be very reasonable. It will initially come with quite low boost and put out 40-50 extra hp/torque-so nothing crazy because unfortunately our automatic tranny's only are made to handle 300 foot pounds of torque--so that is the limiting factor. Not to mention the magnesium engine block that has never seen foced induction--bmw chose not to use this block for their FI cars for a reason--so it is a cautious supercharger project to maintain reliability-but nonetheless is supposed to be out near christmas or the new year. It will also be a DIY that you can do at home quite easily
Diamond, you've got my attention! This one is definitely worth following.

Can you provide a link to the thread for the supcharger. Thanks...
Old 10-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Forgive my lack of understanding regarding engine specifics, however based on my 2007 525i 3.0, I'm fairly certain my engine is an N52B30 3.0 L, Displacement (2996 cc/182 in³), Power 160 kW (218 hp) @ 6100, Torque 270 N·m (199 ft·lbf) @ 2400-4200, Redline 7000 rpm. Can anyone confirm this or is there a way to check specifically what I have under the hood?

If the engine is indeed what I've listed, are these performance enhancements available for my car? Thanks for the assistance guys.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Forgive my lack of understanding regarding engine specifics, however based on my 2007 525i 3.0, I'm fairly certain my engine is an N52B30 3.0 L, Displacement (2996 cc/182 in³), Power 160 kW (218 hp) @ 6100, Torque 270 N·m (199 ft·lbf) @ 2400-4200, Redline 7000 rpm. Can anyone confirm this or is there a way to check specifically what I have under the hood?

If the engine is indeed what I've listed, are these performance enhancements available for my car? Thanks for the assistance guys.
yes you have the n52b30 low output version. The 530 got the high output version at 255 hp. The tune works for your car as well and so will the supercharger-.

A third option is availble for the 525/528 guys-you can turn your car into at 530 with 255 hp from Gintani but getting a 3 stage intake manifold (the one that the 530 has) and a software ecu tune (the one I spoke of-only it specifically is made to work with the 3 stage intake you put on) and this turns your car into the 530. That is the only difference the 530 output has-is utizling the 3 stage manifold and the corresponding tuning.

The 3 stage manifold allows the tune to be much more aggressive at the top end-for peak power which is why it makes more peak HP and higher rpms, but still maintains decent power and driveability in the low-mid range due to the fleixbility of utilizing 3 different intake pathways. If you only have 1 pathway as does the 525/528 then you have to compromise the tune to work at all rpms with that 1 intake pathway. The end result is you cant tune for as much top end power or else you will suffer a big loss down low.. So its a compromise to keep low-mid end acceptable and then put a decent amount of top end power.

So its not the 3 stage intake manifold that creates power-but its what that lets you do with the tuning software that creates the power--worthwhile mod forsure
Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xi 07' fully loaded...stock :(

i have a 07' 530xi sport and its a n53 or atleast thats wat carfolio says... http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...ar/?car=151503

and on wikipedia of n53 bmw, it says that 530xi's after march 07' - 2010 feb are n53 how do i find out if my production date is march? i dont want to simply rely on a website because i want to get to get a tune ASAP im dieing for one im not sure who to go with it use to be easy for e46's it was always dinan and for 335 or 535s its always been jb3 for me
Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Contributors

yes you have the n52b30 low output version. The 530 got the high output version at 255 hp. The tune works for your car as well and so will the supercharger-.

A third option is availble for the 525/528 guys-you can turn your car into at 530 with 255 hp from Gintani but getting a 3 stage intake manifold (the one that the 530 has) and a software ecu tune (the one I spoke of-only it specifically is made to work with the 3 stage intake you put on) and this turns your car into the 530. That is the only difference the 530 output has-is utizling the 3 stage manifold and the corresponding tuning.

The 3 stage manifold allows the tune to be much more aggressive at the top end-for peak power which is why it makes more peak HP and higher rpms, but still maintains decent power and driveability in the low-mid range due to the fleixbility of utilizing 3 different intake pathways. If you only have 1 pathway as does the 525/528 then you have to compromise the tune to work at all rpms with that 1 intake pathway. The end result is you cant tune for as much top end power or else you will suffer a big loss down low.. So its a compromise to keep low-mid end acceptable and then put a decent amount of top end power.

So its not the 3 stage intake manifold that creates power-but its what that lets you do with the tuning software that creates the power--worthwhile mod forsure
Diamond,
Thanks for the great write-up. It is most informative and I'm pretty stoked that I can get some extra HP out of my engine! Now let me ask you a question and it would be great if you could answer me impartially. If you had to make a choice based on the upgrade path for the N52B30 engine keeping cost, performance, reliability etc in mind; would you go with the Gintani Supercharger and Tune or would you go with the 3 Stage Manifold and Tune? Which provides the better cost - performance ratio?

Can you provide any links to the Gintani Supercharger/Tune and also for the 3 Stage Manifold/Tune? I would also like to do more research regarding which path to choose providing that I do decide to invest the cash. Also do you know of any performance shops here in Toronto, Canada that would be capable of getting this done? Alternatively if you were fairly adapt in mechanics, could this turn into a DIY project?

Many thanks for your patience and time in answering these questions. It is much appreciated!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530Xi Black Black Automatic NAV Cold Weather Package Premium Package Exterior Red RPI Air Scoop Matte Black Grills 15% Tints Rear Light Tints Shadowline Trim Black Carbon Fiber Roundels Gloss Red Painted Calipers CF hood and trunk roundels Engine BMC filter, RPI scoop Interior ACS pedals Ultimate LED Interior Light Kit Wheels Miro Type 111 matte black 19x8.5 wrapperd with Hankook V12 245/35/19 fronts 19x9.5 wrapperd with Hankook V12 275/30/19 rears Lighting Euro sticker Angel Eyes Upgrade 8000k FOG White LED Eyebrow Upgrade LED Cluster Upgrade LED License Plate Upgrade

Originally Posted by mak213
i have a 07' 530xi sport and its a n53 or atleast thats wat carfolio says... http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...ar/?car=151503

and on wikipedia of n53 bmw, it says that 530xi's after march 07' - 2010 feb are n53 how do i find out if my production date is march? i dont want to simply rely on a website because i want to get to get a tune ASAP im dieing for one im not sure who to go with it use to be easy for e46's it was always dinan and for 335 or 535s its always been jb3 for me
I'm in the same boat as mak213 with an 07 530xi...it's funny too since I was just looking into a juice box instead of a sprint booster...now this came along...this seems like a better option than a juice box...correct? Keep me posted and I'd love to have anyone's opinion on either doing this tune or a juice box...

-Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

AFAIK it should n52 ... if your car is 2007 (same as mine) the production date likely be 10/'06 ...
You should find it on a black sticker on the driver side door jamb along the tire pressure sticker.

Originally Posted by mak213
i have a 07' 530xi sport and its a n53 or atleast thats wat carfolio says... http://www.carfolio....car/?car=151503

Quick Reply: 2 exciting options for the N52 engine-finally!