E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

15% Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Hi

I am wanting to tint my Jet Black 545i with 15% tint can anyone post any pics of their black 5 series with 15% tint or darker?

Also will this mess up my nav and keyless entry etc. ?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Tint will not affect your Nav or keyless entry.

Your Nav uses the Sharkfin antenna.... and keyless entry works on radio frequency, which is long-wavelength.

Window tint is designed to stop ultraviolet and infrared light, which are short wavelength.

I have 20% tint on my gray E60, with 35% on the front... check out the pics in my signature.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

wow...15% is almost Limo Tint (5%). That might look a little too dark IMO but hey everyone has its preference. BTW, i have 35% tints on mine all around (all 5 windows). below are the pics.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Nah.... 15% is awesome.

On my old Acura I used to have 5% on the rear, 20% on the sides, and 32% on the front.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 28 2005, 02:00 PM
Nah.... 15% is awesome.

On my old Acura I used to have 5% on the rear, 20% on the sides, and 32% on the front.
[snapback]121502[/snapback]
On the East Coast here, the cops are always targeting cars with dark tints...to some people they might look good but cops here really hunt them down
Old 04-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Hi guys,

I'm really curious to know more about yankee "tint". I suppose, from your messages, that the lower the % the darker is the window; is it?
And what kind of treatment is the tint? Is it a film applied to the window or is it a kind of clear paint/varnish? And which are the rules you must comply with? Do they differ from state to state?
In Italy, tint is allowed only in the rear passengers area, so no front (windshield) window and no front passenger or driver side window can be tinted. And painting is not allowed, you can only apply DoT approved plastic films not darker than a certain limit.
Tell me.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Apr 28 2005, 08:56 PM
wow...15% is almost Limo Tint (5%).? That might look a little too dark IMO but hey everyone has its preference.? BTW, i have 35% tints on mine all around (all 5 windows).? below are the pics.?

[snapback]121500[/snapback]
Saurabh,

your babycart looks terrific. Congrats.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Apr 28 2005, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,

I'm really curious to know more about yankee "tint". I suppose, from your messages, that the lower the % the darker is the window; is it?
And what kind of treatment is the tint? Is it a film applied to the window or is it a kind of clear paint/varnish? And which are the rules you must comply with? Do they differ from state to state?
In Italy, tint is allowed only in the rear passengers area, so no front (windshield) window and no front passenger or driver side window can be tinted. And painting is not allowed, you can only apply DoT approved plastic films not darker than a certain limit.
Tell me.
[snapback]121510[/snapback]
Here in the states (most states) having tints in the front two windows or the front windshield is absolutely illegal. The lower you go in number the darker the tint is. 5% is the lowest you can go (Limo Tint) and i believe 50% is the highest you can go (very light tint = also illegal in front). All the numbers mean is the percentage of light that goes through the tint (5% tint allows 5% of light into your car). You can have tints in the back three windows as dark as you want legally.

A tint is considered to be two forms, Plastic type film & Metallic Tint. They are a film type structure that stick with glue onto your windows. No painting here!!

Hope that answers the question.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Saurabh,

your babycart looks terrific. Congrats.
[snapback]121514[/snapback]
thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Black Metalic, Sport Package, L7 sound, Steptronic, Cold Weather, Ski Package, Sport Seats

15% Tint Question-dsc00004.jpgHere's my baby with 20% all around except the front

Quick Reply: 15% Tint Question