5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   '04 545i VAREX X-FORCE Muffler Installation (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/04-545i-varex-x-force-muffler-installation-135188/)

ma_tty_d 09-22-2013 01:12 PM

'04 545i VAREX X-FORCE Muffler Installation

Good morning everybody!

I thought I'd start this thread for all of those who are curious about the VAREX Muffler.

When I first bought one back in '08 for my E46 318i I was a bit hesitant about its ability to be able to baffle the exhaust enough to sound 'near stock', but I was surprised with the result, and I'm now purchasing another one for my 545i.

There isn't too much information available for BMW owners who want one of these installed... so I thought I'd share my experience.

the website is here: XForce. Performance Mufflers, Exhaust Systems & Accessories. About the Varex™ remote controlled Sports muffler.

I just purchased the 3" inlet / twin 3" outlet and I'll upload pictures and a video when it arrives and is installed! I'll also be doing the wiring myself and will provide pictures of this :)

Being able to have the throaty V8 sound or quiet cruising at the press of a button is a winner in my books.

Stay tuned!

- Matt

west 09-22-2013 01:21 PM

Looks interesting. Looking forward to the video. :)

yusoslo 09-22-2013 04:00 PM

+1 I'm excited to hear this. IF you have the ability to control the volume, I assume you will delete the muffler and the resonator?

ma_tty_d 09-22-2013 04:43 PM

If removing the resonator will give the car that Bitey V8 sound and gurgle, then YES!!!!!!!! I never thought about it until you mentioned it just then.

I'm not after a ridiculously loud exhaust, just one that has that classic V8 bite and gurgling :) Any input on this would be greatly appreciated :)

west 09-22-2013 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d (Post 1519745)
If removing the resonator will give the car that Bitey V8 sound and gurgle, then YES!!!!!!!! I never thought about it until you mentioned it just then.

I'm not after a ridiculously loud exhaust, just one that has that classic V8 bite and gurgling :) Any input on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Deleting the cat's and installing headers will get you that bitey v8 sound for sure. I wasn't satisfied with the v8 sound with my car until we did the headers but I do recall some really subtle gurgle (and maybe even a little pop) even when the car had catalytics. I've posted this video a few times on the forum already but here is a video with stock manifolds and catalytic converters still in the car before the headers were put in. Forward to 19 seconds for really subtle gurgle.

ma_tty_d 09-22-2013 06:12 PM

That sounds great West, Cheers for the Video :)

I'd certainly be happy with that sound from my car. I mean, it is going to have a baby seat in the back....

- Matt

west 09-22-2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d (Post 1519750)
That sounds great West, Cheers for the Video :)

I'd certainly be happy with that sound from my car. I mean, it is going to have a baby seat in the back....

- Matt

Excellent. Keep us posted!

yusoslo 09-24-2013 05:42 PM

Removing the muffler like I did gives the car a great sound, but you are adding a muffler so yours will be subtle and quite unlike mine. This is why I recommend removing the resonator which will make it louder but then you can dial it back to a near stock sound.

ma_tty_d 09-24-2013 07:28 PM

yusoslo that sounds awesome! had that great V8 gurgle too, I might give just the high performance varex first, then if its not as v8 sounding as i thought i'll get them to remove the resonator, the local muffler shop 1km from me only charged me $150 for the muffler delete, including a polished SS twin tip!

I'll keep this thread up to date :)

ma_tty_d 09-26-2013 09:37 PM

The muffler arrived today! very fast postage considering it was free :)

http://s7.postimg.org/c2czr66ob/20130927_144101.jpg

It was very well protected in the box. And the welds look great, twin 3" is going to fit snug in the bumper cutout!

http://s22.postimg.org/69xdvssdt/20130927_144156.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/tsq7xtbgv/20130927_144311.jpg

Its booked in to get installed in two weeks! looking forward to it :P

west 09-26-2013 10:52 PM

Haha. That thing looks pretty high-tech! Is it full-on/off, or can you adjust it to find a balance that suits you? Looks like it's screw driven.

ma_tty_d 09-28-2013 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by west (Post 1520184)
Haha. That thing looks pretty high-tech! Is it full-on/off, or can you adjust it to find a balance that suits you? Looks like it's screw driven.

Hey west, hopefully it performs as good as it looks :D there is a mid setting that you can choose to get a milder sound, by the looks of it, the motor is just controlled by timing from the control box as there aren't any sensors or switches on the muffler to determine the position of the butterfly mechanism.

I'm going to start the wiring soon, will keep the thread updated with my progress :)

ma_tty_d 10-19-2013 08:56 AM

Update on the System:

I had the exhaust installed but the fitter had to weld the bracket a bit lower down as the electronics on top of the muffler got in the way!!! the only way around this would have been to modify the cars muffler mount and I didnt really want that to be done!

I'll post a video of the sound when I'm home next, as well as sound under load and just cruising too :D I have to admit it sounds better than i thought, with the exhaust valve fully open, and under normal acceleration it sounds like a nice tuned V8 with no resonance or droning, under heavy acceleration it sounds bitey and crisp, again, with no drone :)

with the exhaust valve fully closed, under normal acceleration it sounds stock, under heavy acceleration it is quiet still, but sounds like there is a slight whine or whistling noise, its hard to tell with all the engine noise.

All in all I'm very happy with the install and being able to control the exhaust volume is a big + in my opinion!

what i didn't do that i wish i had of now, was get a dyno done :(

maybe if somebody follows in my footsteps they could get a before and after :)

I'd love to hear all of your opinions on the Varex, after i post the video of course :)

All the best,

Matt

keno75 10-27-2013 08:57 PM

West, I like that exhaust note. What was your set up in that exhaust clip?

west 10-27-2013 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d (Post 1522147)
Update on the System:

I had the exhaust installed but the fitter had to weld the bracket a bit lower down as the electronics on top of the muffler got in the way!!! the only way around this would have been to modify the cars muffler mount and I didnt really want that to be done!

I'll post a video of the sound when I'm home next, as well as sound under load and just cruising too :D I have to admit it sounds better than i thought, with the exhaust valve fully open, and under normal acceleration it sounds like a nice tuned V8 with no resonance or droning, under heavy acceleration it sounds bitey and crisp, again, with no drone :)

with the exhaust valve fully closed, under normal acceleration it sounds stock, under heavy acceleration it is quiet still, but sounds like there is a slight whine or whistling noise, its hard to tell with all the engine noise.

All in all I'm very happy with the install and being able to control the exhaust volume is a big + in my opinion!

what i didn't do that i wish i had of now, was get a dyno done :(

maybe if somebody follows in my footsteps they could get a before and after :)

I'd love to hear all of your opinions on the Varex, after i post the video of course :)

All the best,

Matt

Excellent work. Congratulations on the new system. Look forward to checking out the video.

Originally Posted by keno75 (Post 1522834)
West, I like that exhaust note. What was your set up in that exhaust clip?

Do a search for 'the truth on quad exhaust' or something like that on the forum. All the parts and install photos can be found there. Many members on the forum are using the same system. It's basically a mix of three mufflers. One X pipe muffler and two magnapacks. All magnaflow parts.

e6t.lab.rat 10-28-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by west (Post 1522839)
Excellent work. Congratulations on the new system. Look forward to checking out the video.

Do a search for 'the truth on quad exhaust' or something like that on the forum. All the parts and install photos can be found there. Many members on the forum are using the same system. It's basically a mix of three mufflers. One X pipe muffler and two magnapacks. All magnaflow parts.

+1! This is the thread west is talking about.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...fiction-98557/

It inspired me to overhaul my exhaust system, and been very pleased ever since. :thumbsup:

ma_tty_d 05-18-2015 06:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the very very VERY delayed update on this thread:

After having it installed I wired it in and took photos as I went :) I'm still yet to take a video of the exhaust, I wasn't happy with the sound quality of the videos I did take and none of them gave the muffler justice.

Here is the step by step of the wiring:

1. Drill a Small hole large enough to fit a small grommet or gland and the cable through into the spare wheel tub. I used a tight fitting 6mm grommet to seal the cable and the spare wheel tub so no water can get in. When drilling make sure to remove the tyre and drill from the inside of the Tub, to avoid drilling through the tyre and any cabling!

Attachment 147941

2. Use a small flat head screwdriver to release the pins in the two pin connector that connects into the RF module and connects to the exhaust. Take note of the polarity of the cable in the connector. Doing this will allow you to push just the pins and cable through the grommet and much smaller hole than if you left the cable in the connector.

Attachment 147942

3. push the cables through the hole from the outside, push the cables through the grommet and then use a small flat head screwdriver or knife to bend the pin clips back out so they lock into the connector again, then connect the connector.

Attachment 147943

4. In the foam insert under the spare tyre, there should be space to put the RF receiver and tuck the cabling in there, next to the PDC. Use cable ties to tidy up the cabling to keep the cable off the exhaust especially, I used one of the unused exhaust mounting brackets to cable tie mine to..

5. Run the power cable around the foam and under the carpeting to the battery compartment, then connect directly to the battery using a 10A fuse. I didn't take any photos of this as it was getting a bit dark after the install. I tested the Idle current of the receiver and it was under 14mA, which wound drain your battery unless you don't drive the car for a long time.

6. make sure to plug the tube that was connected to the old muffler with a golf tee or something similar. It is the tube used to open the second muffler section at higher speeds and is controlled by vacuum, the car surges and shows an error if this isn't plugged.

6. test it works!

7. enjoy the controllable exhaust :) I know I sure do! I've had it installed for a while now, a year and a half approx. and it is still working a treat!

itzchangsta233 06-13-2015 11:54 PM

Where did you purchase the mufflers

ma_tty_d 06-16-2015 07:24 PM

Hey Mate,

I purchased the Varex muffler on Ebay, but the company does have a website:

Cheers, Matt