E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

I know everyone here states that quad setups will lose horsepower and based on common knowledge of exhaust system backpressure, I can understand how you'd lose low-end power, which everyone talks about, however how about the top-end? In theory wouldn't the quad setup provide better top-end performance than a more restrictive single-sided exhaust system with higher backpressure? Does anyone have empirical data to support that a quad setup would indeed impair performance throughout the entire power band?

Also, couldn't one achieve the same or close to stock backpressure by using different exhaust tube diameters and lengths to create the backpressure needed to retain low-end performance? It just seems that it is quite a bold statement to say that with any quad setup, you'll lose power. Personally it sounds like there just hasn't been a quad setup that has been developed correctly, unless of course we have data to support these claims.

Anyone?

I am looking to do a quad setup soon so I'd really like to hear what efforts have been made to prove that a quad setup will indeed impair performance. And please don't post "Butt Dyno" results, as there are so many various conditions that can play a role in how your engine performs between not having quads and having quads.

Looking forward to hearing from the crowd!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: check siggg

good topic! i wanna know too. i dont know shat aboout exhaust so i would love to learn if its possible to not lose power at all by going with quads.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

isnt the loss like 5-10 hp with a buttdyno? if you like the way it looks/sounds, go for it. you're most likely not gonna notice the loss in power.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by danzanchy
isnt the loss like 5-10 hp with a buttdyno? if you like the way it looks/sounds, go for it. you're most likely not gonna notice the loss in power.
Like I stated earlier, the "butt dyno" is completely inaccurate and in my belief, psychological. So how it "feels" doesn't cut it for me.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

I dont know about performance, but the quad setups I have seen are y-pipes with a muffler in the middle splitting out to two pipes that exit the rear.
I dont know the engine specifics, but I am going to try putting two mufflers after the pipes are split in the rear. I dont know if its because of the higher cost of mufflers or what, but I just havent seen this setup, and i think it would sound a lot better than just one muffler.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

^^^ I was planning on using all the stock components except for the muffler. So I was going to use the stock resonator and then y-pipe out to two mufflers than tips. Sounds very similar to what you are going to do. This would seem to best simulate the stock setup and I'd imagine power loss would be minimal if any.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

honestly, im not too concerned about power loss...
im more concerned with improper cabin noise when sticking the muffler under the driver seat and achieving the deepest most luxurious sound.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

I guess no one has proof? Dyno charts?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

http://forums.5serie...__1#entry849818

http://forums.5serie..._maganflow+quad (be sure to get to post #50)
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

One dyno and a bunch of talk about magnaflow. Not convinced yet. Maybe members with quad exhausts can chime in and let us know piping diameter used and more specific information with their setups.

Also, how about getting a dyno from an individual, not a competing exhaust manufacturer.

Quick Reply: The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.