E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

$130 Rear camera DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020
Default $130 Rear camera DIY

I just ran across this article over at E90 post. it seems to give a rear camera option if you have CCC/CIC and PDC for just the cost of the 80-90 emulator and a camera.

~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

Has anyone tried this? any idea what the screen would look like (with respect to the PDC portion, would that screen go away?)

seems cheaper than the $500 dollars or so for the whole solution that has been available until recently....
Old 11-10-2014, 08:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2008

Why oh why does this group of enthusiasts love acronyms so much? lol what is CCC/CIC and PDC? I have a 08 550i with nav, etc. I'd love to have a cam opposed to the current park assist.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
Why oh why does this group of enthusiasts love acronyms so much? lol what is CCC/CIC and PDC? I have a 08 550i with nav, etc. I'd love to have a cam opposed to the current park assist.

my friend, you will get flamed if you do not try to do some searches before asking. Google is your friend: CCC and CIC are various models of the Navigation offered by BMW. Below tells you a lot about them. You probably have the CCC like me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDrive

Park Distance Control (PDC) is the front and rear sensors that do distance for you.

welcome to the forum!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Members

Hmmm... someone needs to buy this that doesn't have PDC and figure out if it can be made to work via coding. If not, the cost of the used module alone without the sensors shouldn't be too bad, and still cheaper than the alternatives. Good find!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

The devil is in the details; acronyms, as silly as they may seem, are important. BMWs are, at heart, enthusiast cars, and you're on a 5 series enthusiast forum. I wouldn't expect anything less on this forum.

'NAV' in a BMW can mean many, many things.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by KyleB
The devil is in the details; acronyms, as silly as they may seem, are important. BMWs are, at heart, enthusiast cars, and you're on a 5 series enthusiast forum. I wouldn't expect anything less on this forum.

'NAV' in a BMW can mean many, many things.
I'm not even sure you actually made a point?

And thanks funglenn! I've searched many of these various commonly used acronyms and it becomes exhausting lol. I have a business to run... cant exactly spend days decoding all of these new to me acronyms. Trying to sort them as I encounter them but there are certainly a lot.

I guess I'll post an intro thread somewhere...
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 AM
New Members

I'm not even sure you actually made a point?

And thanks funglenn! I've searched many of these various commonly used acronyms and it becomes exhausting lol. I have a business to run... cant exactly spend days decoding all of these new to me acronyms. Trying to sort them as I encounter them but there are certainly a lot.

I guess I'll post an intro thread somewhere...

we are a nice lot. I never posted an intro. the last poster was funny, my 2009 has one type of Nav and my co worker's 2009 Coupe has a much nicer nav. What do you do? the more you learn about the car the more you will love it, or be terrified it will break..either way cheers!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by funglenn
we are a nice lot. I never posted an intro. the last poster was funny, my 2009 has one type of Nav and my co worker's 2009 Coupe has a much nicer nav. What do you do? the more you learn about the car the more you will love it, or be terrified it will break..either way cheers!
+1... It's so true, the more you learn and DIY, the more you will appreciate it's value. It' not just a car or any other car, It's my baby god damn it. hahaha
Old 11-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Members

BMW never leaves well enough alone, hence the reasons for the acronym... You wouldn't need to use them if there was only one NAV, etc. This isn't a bad thing though. Think of how long a run the E60 actually had! The fact that there are still new members coming into the fold speaks volumes about its success. A lot of the members here have been members for a long time. Stick around, and eventually you'll be speaking in acronyms as well!