E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Zf lifeguard 6 = mercon sp

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535I
Default Zf lifeguard 6 = mercon sp

So I am trying to figure out what is the big deal about this ZF Lifeguard 6 transmission fluid, and why everyone think this is superior to Mercon SP. I did a research and this is what I found out. The 2006 Lincoln Navigator (built by FORD) use the ZF 6HP26 transmission. The Ford dealers recommended, and used the Mercon SP transmission fluid in these transmissions. These ZF 6HP26 transmissions are also installed in 2004-2007 545i, and 550i BMW and 2008 - 2009 550i BMW. While these BMW application calls for the ZF Lifeguard 6 transmission fluid, these BMW models can of course use the Mercon SP transmission fluid, but first one would have to totally remove the old ZF lifeguard stuff from the torque converter. I also learned that the Mercon SP is now upgraded to Mercon LV.. So I would argued that ZF lifeguard 6 = Mercon SP. As long as the ZF lifeguard is totally flush (it’s not wise to mix two brands together) from the transmission torque converter, then the Mercon SP is just as good. I also learned that Mercon SP is now upgraded to Mercon LV. The conclusion is BMW with the ZF 6HP19 can use Mercon SP without any issues. Please see link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Navigator
Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i put in mercon sp in my last fluid change. no issues so far. and i didnt flush out all old fluid.
i wonder what is different with the mercon LV versus the SP. is the LV still red?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535I

Hi turboawd how long ago did you drain and fill your transmission with mercon sp. here is more info on MERCON TRANSMISSION FLUID please see the link
https://www.fordparts.com/Products/C...ionFluids.aspx
Old 05-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Hyundai and Jaguar also use this transmission in a few applications, so in theory you could walk into your Hyundai dealer and have your transmission serviced there too.

I can only speak for myself, but the primary reason I will always use ZF Lifeguard6 is that it removes one variable from the equation should I begin to encounter transmission problems.

cheers.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BLACK_PRINCE54915
Hi turboawd how long ago did you drain and fill your transmission with mercon sp. here is more info on MERCON TRANSMISSION FLUID please see the link
https://www.fordparts.com/Products/C...ionFluids.aspx
maybe a year ago.

from reading that link, the LV fluid did not replace the SP. it was designed to be a lifetime fluid.

here is an article on the LV fluid

LUBE REPORT: Ford Unveils New Transmission Fluid
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i sport pkg 6MT

Ford had listed LV as being backwards compatible for SP applications but they revered that decision. They were going to drop SP and use LV in any application that previously called for SP until they revered their decision.
The Motorcraft website listed LV as replacing SP for 2 or more years but now says that it is not to be used in transmissions requiring SP except for the Torqshift which is the 3/4 ton and up truck transmission.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ission%20Fluid

I know several people that have used SP in Range Rover, Jag, and BMW with ZF 6 speeds and have had no issues tens of thousands of miles later.
LV is a lighter viscosity fluid and it might be fine but since Ford is not listing it for use in ZF gearboxes it might be wise to stay with SP if opting to not be robbed by purchasing Lifeguard ZF oil.

Last edited by abe76247; 05-03-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by abe76247
Ford had listed LV as being backwards compatible for SP applications but they revered that decision. They were going to drop SP and use LV in any application that previously called for SP until they revered their decision.
The Motorcraft website listed LV as replacing SP for 2 or more years but now says that it is not to be used in transmissions requiring SP except for the Torqshift which is the 3/4 ton and up truck transmission.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ission%20Fluid

I know several people that have used SP in Range Rover, Jag, and BMW with ZF 6 speeds and have had no issues tens of thousands of miles later.
LV is a lighter viscosity fluid and it might be fine but since Ford is not listing it for use in ZF gearboxes it might be wise to stay with SP if opting to not be robbed by purchasing Lifeguard ZF oil.
being a lighter viscocity, i wonder if it will decrease drag in the transmission, and increase economy. but just the fact that ford was thinking of replacing SP with the LV, shows you that there isnt that much difference between fluids.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default lifeguard 6

How much is expensive because on www.thectsc.com website you can get the whole tranny kit for $258... pan,screws,plug,mechatronic sleeve and 6 quarts of zf lifeguard 6. I want to get it but my indy shop says that price is too good to be true because one bottle of lifeguard 6 cost $39 bucks and he says all I need is the Redline fluid and the rest of the things I said above. Can someone chime in pls
Old 05-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by star69me
How much is expensive because on The CTSC - ZF Parts website you can get the whole tranny kit for $258... pan,screws,plug,mechatronic sleeve and 6 quarts of zf lifeguard 6. I want to get it but my indy shop says that price is too good to be true because one bottle of lifeguard 6 cost $39 bucks and he says all I need is the Redline fluid and the rest of the things I said above. Can someone chime in pls
the price isnt that too god to be true. you can buy a pan for 100, fluid for 24 bottle, seal for 20, so add it all up and its a realistic deal. does the redline meet the zf spec?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:46 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by star69me
How much is expensive because on The CTSC - ZF Parts website you can get the whole tranny kit for $258... pan,screws,plug,mechatronic sleeve and 6 quarts of zf lifeguard 6. I want to get it but my indy shop says that price is too good to be true because one bottle of lifeguard 6 cost $39 bucks and he says all I need is the Redline fluid and the rest of the things I said above. Can someone chime in pls

Just to be clear that kit only includes 5 screws and I'm not sure why. I've dropped the pan and done the transmission service on my two BMWs using the 6HP21. I reused the transmission pan screws both times and experienced no issue by reusing them. The torque spec on them is minimal.

On my e90, I purchased the kit from thectsc.com. It worked great. On my E60 I purchased the pan/filter/plug from Amazon for $96.00 delivered, the mechatronic sleeve for $17.00 from thectsc.com and 7 quarts of Mercon SP at my local O'Reilly for $52.43. These parts also worked great. If you are just comparing fluid prices, then it's about $20 per liter for the ZF versus $7.50 per quart for the Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP.
Sounds like your local guy is making huge profit on that ZF Lifeguard 6 at $39 per liter. You can use Redline D6 ATF. Many people have and reported zero issues with a fair number of miles, but the Mercon SP is pretty well known to be the same stuff as ZF Lifeguard 6 with red dye added and it sells for quite a bit less than the Redline from what I have seen.

Last edited by biz77; 05-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Zf lifeguard 6 = mercon sp