E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Your thoughts on auto tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Screw it!!! I'm going to do it. I've had the tranny fluid changed on both of my previous Bimmers (E36, and E46 which I still own with 115K miles on the clock) and I've never had a problem. I know that the E60s are finicky, but they can't be that bad, can they?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Here's the DIY:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/881...n-drain-refill

Only downside is the cost. The filter is integrated into the pan therefore to change the filter you have to replace the pan at $200+. Also, the fluid is $25 bucks and it requires 6-liters
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium Package, Grey Leather, Rear Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by DavidF
People will debate the pros and cons of auto box fluid change till the end of time. I am in the camp of replace the fluid every 80k miles. No fluid is going to last a lifetime, unless you believe the "lifetime" is the period of time it takes the old and dirty fluid to kill the transmission.

Bottom line is that the fluid picks up wear particles from the transmission and the viscosity and ability of the fluid to do it jobs changes. Some say new fluid will cause debris to dislodge and make the tranny fail. Hogwash...there should not be any debris in the transmission to dislodge. It may clean it up a bit, but that is a good thing.

Many poeple are having good results using BG flushing services. But, if you do it yourself, you are only changin a fraction of the fluid each time...so do it more often and you are good to go.

Just do it, nothing bad will happen unless the tech screws up the process.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the BG flush on an E60. Many of us with E38's (myself included) have had the BG flush done with very good, lasting results.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
He then said that with time, internal gearing gets "a little loose" and the tranny compensates by using a little less pressure. When the fluid is changed, he said, the pressure goes back up and the risk is that the 'looser gears' could cause trouble.
you have greater chance of transmission failure with low pressure, since the clutches are more prone to slipping.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Here's the DIY:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/881...n-drain-refill

Only downside is the cost. The filter is integrated into the pan therefore to change the filter you have to replace the pan at $200+. Also, the fluid is $25 bucks and it requires 6-liters
That was a great write-up. I saw the oil's before and after pictures. The after was darker, as expected. Did you notice any difference in viscosity?

Also, how was the bottom of the old pan? Was it full of metal, grime, gunk, etc.?

Thanks for the great write-up.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

^just for the record, I was simply supplying the link to the DIY write-up. Am not the author, just a consumer of the info like everybody else.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Ill give my input. IMO at 68k I wouldnt bother. But I def would at the 100k mark. Nothing is lifetime like everyone is saying. When I had my 99 540i auto I asked the dealer at 110k about changing my tranny fluid. They looked at me like I was retarded. They said the tranny is sealed and its lifetime fluid yada yada. Im sure bmw would love to sell you a new tranny out of warranty because you bought into their lifetime garbage (this is what im thinking as they are explaining this to me). I was starting to hear a little whine in first gear this is what prompted me to ask. I went ahead and did it anyway. The whine disappeared and the shifts were exceptionally smoother. I also picked up another mpg overall. I also do not buy into the "loosen up parts, gonna lead to failure" argument. Ive never heard of anyone having tranny failure because they changed the fluid. It eventually breaks down and doesnt do its job as well as it did day one. Common sense.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Members

is it possible to just like suck a few quarts of tranny fluid out and then pump a few new ones back in without dropping the pan?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I don't know why, but I tend to side with the people who designed and built the car.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on auto tranny fluid change