E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you think the 5 series is the best sport sedan for it's money?
Yes
61.15%
No
8.92%
Yes with reservations.
27.39%
I'm not sure.
2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Your opinion on the E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I know this is not the best forum (fairness) to ask the question since all of you own an e60 or a BMW for that matter. But is it a good place to start because you do own/lease one, so maybe I can get an honest answer.

1. Consider your previous sedans and those on the current market when you answer.
2. Consider only "sport sedan."
3. Consider handling, speed, comfort, and available options (so call luxury).
4. Finally, consider price for what you get (can be bias).
5. Comment as needed.

I know, I know, there's an old saying, "The cat is complimenting its own tail."
Old 04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Excellent poll. My E60, which I love with a passion, manages to be unquestionably the best car I've ever owned - whilst at the same time being perhaps the most frustrating with just too many annoying minor quality issues. That said, I like the car so much the minor issues can usually remain as just that. Compared to its most obvious peers, I really don't think there is anything "better" on the market. Some might arguably (or probably) be better value (the Japanese in particular), but as an overall package the E60 is the one to beat and I voted for yes. I should add, though, that some of the competition is getting close.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='273755' date='Apr 25 2006, 05:54 AM
Excellent poll. My E60, which I love with a passion, manages to be unquestionably the best car I've ever owned - whilst at the same time being perhaps the most frustrating with just too many annoying minor quality issues. That said, I like the car so much the minor issues can usually remain as just that. Compared to its most obvious peers, I really don't think there is anything "better" on the market. Some might arguably (or probably) be better value (the Japanese in particular), but as an overall package the E60 is the one to beat and I voted for yes. I should add, though, that some of the competition is getting close.
Without doubt the e60 is the best drivers car ... but I do have reservations ... software glitches, poor ergonomics and creaks / rattles being top of my list.

I'd still buy it over any of the alternatives though, IMO BMW have the edge on speed, economy and handling throughout their model range.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

rattles and creaks we all have but I still think e60 is still the best sedan in the World!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

I'm going to be an owner of a 540i in a few months so I can't comment with the backing of much experience. However, I think it offers the best value for what I am looking for. I currently drive a MB W211 E320 (MY04) and although I'm selling it, I can't bag it as it's a fantastic car as well. However, it is not as sporty as I'd now like it to be hence the 540i choice.

In relation to Bimmer32's points, I've driven the A6, E-class and Lexus GS. For someone who's looking for some aggressiveness under the hood, and superb sports handling mixed with comfort during cruising I think the 5 is the way to go. The A6 would be 2nd choice but resale value of Audi is shocking so it falls behind the E-class.

In terms of exterior and interior styling I would still rate the E-class ahead of the rest. It was the styling that played a big part in my earlier decision to go for the E-class instead of the 5 a few years ago. However, my interest in styling has dropped a bit and with the Sports M Pack the 5 styling has improved by leaps and bounds. Add to that the 19" wheels...mamma mia!

I believe I'm getting a good price from my dealer for the 540i. They've been working on me for 2 years now to convert over to BMW as my whole family have been MB owners for many many years (dad - S430, mom - CLK500, wife - A160). The price that I'm getting the 540i for won't even buy me an E500 so the choice was quite simple. The only other contender for the 540i was the ML63 AMG, but in the end I decided that I was not ready to go back to a 4WD (was driving a Lexus LX470 prior to E320).

So, what's my opinion of the E60? Well speaking only of the 530i and 540i...IT's HOT
Old 04-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I think the E60 is the best sports sedan made..... period.

But the best "for the money"? I do not think it is the best for the money. My E60 cost me $67,865 before tax, tags and registration fees. And then I dropped more coin on my M-Tech package, window tint, and some minor customizing.

So the E60 is an expensive car.... far more expensive than most of the competition. Only Mercedes would have been more, really.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I put yes with reservations because of the run flats, shit car with them, awesome car without them.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Just love this car yes, it has its faults but what car does not I tested the A6 and MB E Class and both are very nicely detailed but they just don't have the fun factor out of the box like E60
Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

I think the E60 is definitely the best sports sedan available. That's why all the major automotive mags rate it so high for as long as I can remember. With that said, there are a number of very good cars out there that compete with the E60 but all except the MB E class does not carry the same status and respect. For example before buying mine I tested the Infinity G35, Merc E350 and Volvo (not quite a sports sedan IMO). Each have fine details and will make an excellent choice. I have to say if the G35 had more backseat room I probably would have bought it but none of those cars compare to my E60. The more I drive my E60, the more I love to drive it. To me that's what owning a sports sedan is about - Driving Pleasure!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I can't say e60 is the "Best" sports sedan. But with no doubt, it's on top 3 sports sedan.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on the E60