E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are you still happy with your SMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I have had my 530 steptronic for 5 months now and thinking of changing to a 545 SMG would you still stay with SMG after owning one?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by roost' date='Mar 26 2005, 10:01 PM
I have had my 530 steptronic for 5 months now and thinking of changing to a 545 SMG would you still stay with SMG after owning one?
[snapback]107113[/snapback]
I asked myself the same question.
My answer is: "Yes and no."

Its a lot of fun when you derive the car hard.

But its not so great in daily traffic, commute, etc.
It depends on your driving habits and style.
I might buy it again or buy the 6 speed.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Mar 26 2005, 09:05 PM
I asked myself the same question.
My answer is: "Yes and no."

Its a lot of fun when you derive the car hard.? ?

But its not so great in daily traffic, commute, etc.
I might buy it again or buy the 6 speed.
[snapback]107115[/snapback]
He's right. I have a commute that includes twisty back roads and a little bit of highway. I would definitely go with the SMG again. My decision would be different if I had the daily bumper to bumper commute.

Nick
Old 03-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

[quote]But its not so great in daily traffic, commute, etc.
I might buy it again or buy the 6 speed.[quote]

Why would you rather have a 6 sp in the 'day to day commute'?? I'm not sure I understand. I'll be going from a 6 sp to SMG this year, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

First, I'll say that the SMG is the only choice for me now -- traffic or not. I don't quite understand why there are complaints about the SMG in traffic. Isn't traffic what made people complain about the traditional manual? If anything, the SMG makes traffic more enjoyable since your left leg gets a break.

All I can say is that no matter what type of situation, I can't think of a reason that I wouldn't get another SMG -- it's the best!
Old 03-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 26 2005, 10:01 PM
First, I'll say that the SMG is the only choice for me now -- traffic or not.? I don't quite understand why there are complaints about the SMG in traffic.? Isn't traffic what made people complain about the traditional manual?? If anything, the SMG makes traffic more enjoyable since your left leg gets a break.

All I can say is that no matter what type of situation, I can't think of a reason that I wouldn't get another SMG -- it's the best!
[snapback]107141[/snapback]
I'll second that!
SMG for me.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

6000+ miles and I would definately get the SMG again. I do understand the traffic issue though. When I need to drive into NYC and experience true bumber to bumper, stop and go traffic, the ride can be a little choppy. No matter how skilled you are at the SMG, you can still feel when the care "clutches" to prevent stalling. Still preferably to the traditional manual becasue the SMG is as smooth but less work. But, if I had to put up with that type of traffic everday, I might go back to the Step. For the once or twice a week I have to endure that traffic, the choice is easy - SMG.

Every time I execute a flawless 5 to 3 down shift (and with the SMG every downshift is flawless), hear that throttle blip, my choice is confirmed.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I'll still go with SMG and I have traffic to deal with. Yes I can too feel the car play with the clutch to prevent it from stalling... Sometimes I can feel the car engage the clutch sooner than I would and feather the clutch more than I would want also.

But man... when you have a open road... its the greatest!!!! Weekend drives through the hills and mtns is worth it.

And reguarding driving a 6sp in traffic... I dunno But I prefer to drive a manual in traffic than a auto! I can control the car enough in slow traffic better where I can stay in fisrt or second and use the gas and engine break to keep moving... usually enough to not have to step on the brakes or clutch... so i only need my right foot to modulate the gas for the most part. where as in a automatic I would have to move my feet over to the break to slow down and then move my feet over to the gas to speed up. Now in stop and go traffic a 6 speed is a little more trouble... so in other words... SMG makes for a perfect solution.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributors

I will keep SMG as long as I can. It is awesome and I really enjoy it.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

Does the SmMG get better gas consumption then steptronic

Quick Reply: Are you still happy with your SMG