E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

You just don't appreciate what you have.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was looking online the other day at some 6ers, an M3, even some SLK and S class Mercedes, and admiring those cars thinking to myself, (I just have a lowly 5 series, a lowly 530 at that...)

Then I stepped outside and looked at my car in the parking lot at work and saw the dozens of cars around it and thought: "Wow, my car rocks compared to most of the piles of horse shit cars around it!"

Then I also realized that I am one of those people who is constantly thinking about what I don't have, what I want to achieve, and not what I "do" have and what I "did" achieve. Its easy to get lost in the bullshit sometimes, isn't it?

There is my Confucius for the day.

I love my baby. I need some side skirts dammit!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Confucius pontification for the day is:

"Here I sit, broken hearted.
Tried to shit, but only farted."

nice rims.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='840419' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:38 AM
So I was looking online the other day at some 6ers, an M3, even some SLK and S class Mercedes, and admiring those cars thinking to myself, (I just have a lowly 5 series, a lowly 530 at that...)

Then I stepped outside and looked at my car in the parking lot at work and saw the dozens of cars around it and thought: "Wow, my car rocks compared to most of the piles of horse shit cars around it!"

Then I also realized that I am one of those people who is constantly thinking about what I don't have, what I want to achieve, and not what I "do" have and what I "did" achieve. Its easy to get lost in the bullshit sometimes, isn't it?

I love my baby.

I can relate 100%.

Here I am with all these rides and even though I just picked up this new 550, I'm already wishing I had a Z06 or Viper, etc. and thinking how nice it must be that some of my other buddies have 2-4 exotics and AMGs in their driveways. Then, on the otherhand, I think well, I haven't done that bad for myself. It's something I hate thinking about.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

That's why a lot of us come on here, to look at what we don't have...yet
Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i Monaco Blue

That?s normal, its human nature to want what you don?t have. The important thing is realize that we have this trait in us and to control it rather then letting it control us.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I totally know where you are coming from, which is percisely the reason I have the e60 now. I finished school got a job and bought a e46 as my first car and drove it for a while and then had to upgrade to the e60 and now once in a while I catch myself thinking "I should have bought the 545i or 550i", "Man I wonder what payments would be like on the x6..."

But little mods here and there are keeping me content with what I have... for now.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributors

I've managed to overcome those urges. Sure I could have an M5 and a 911 in the driveway and would love them, but I don't need them. I'm not trying to keep up with anyone. I don't have to prove to anyone how well I'm doing. I quite like the fact that I could lose my job tomorrow and I'd have no bills to pay and would remain comfortable without a job for well over 10 years from savings. That's much more important than having some better wheels.

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='840419' date='Apr 8 2009, 05:38 PM
Oh, and no you don't
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this has been our typical thinking over the years. We live in a spending economy and it relies on this thought process of people constantly trying to do better and wanting more. The beauty of this country is that if we try hard enough, we actually can achieve it unlike a lot of other places where it will just remain a dream.
I think this is begining to change though. As we go thru tough economic times, we are begining to appreciate what we have and try to enjoy it. In the past, it was always, "what I don't have". Now it is becoming more and more, "do I really need it. What I have is pretty nice, why rock the boat".
I would love to hear other's opinion on this. I for sure plan to hold on to my cars longer. I was one of the many who changed cars every yr or two. I have owned over 50 cars in the last 20 yrs and at this point its harder to even get impressed by any car. Sometimes I wish I hadn't changed so many cars. Atleast I would have appreciated nicer things more. Now, its hard to get that same effect I had when I purchased my 1st car.
We can now start enjoying what we have instead of stressing over what we don't have .
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='840419' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:38 AM

We all drive GREAT cars, but there will ALWAYS be someone with a better, more exotic, newer, nicer color etc. So why all the envy? How many people that we drive past (quickly too I might add!) would give almost anything to be "saddled" with what we are driving everyday? But looking to the future is a natural thing, so if in your future is a Ferrari or Porsche, or even a Hyundai Genesis (kidding!), it's always going to be out there, so just enjoy what you've got now!! And yes, GET the side skirts, they are cheaper than any of the cars you were ogling!!

In closing, my addition to the "Confucius" theme....Man with hole in pocket, all day feel cocky!!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='840445
it's always going to be out there, so just enjoy what you've got now!!
+1 .... Yes !

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='840466
In closing, my addition to the "Confucius" theme....Man with hole in pocket, all day feel cocky!!

Quick Reply: You just don't appreciate what you have.