E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are You a FLASHER

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing I always liked about the various BMWs I have owned, is the the convenient location of the Warning Flasher button. Whether it is located on the dash, as it now is on the E60, or behind the gear shifter as it is in the E39, it is easy to find while driving. The dumbest location goes to many of the American car makers that locate it behind the steering wheel. It is almost dangerous to use while driving since you just about have to stick your hand through the steering wheel to get at it. As important a safety feature as it is, I find very few drivers make use of them. Sure they are useful when you break down on the road etc. but why don't drivers use them (especially the yellow flashers that really get noticed rather then the red flashers on some cars) in dangerous or emergency situations while moving along the road. I first noticed about 20 years ago, that truck drivers always went to their flashers to warn drivers behind them of an accident ahead or if they were about to make fast stops. I have been doing the same ever since then, and I am sure they have saved my rear-end so to speak many times in the approx. 700,000 miles I have driven since.
I drive the Merrit Pkway in Connecticut daily. It is full of sharp curves and hills. The most helpless feeling you can get in a car is when traffic suddenly stops ahead of you, and you are the last car in line over the crest of the hill or around the bend in the turn. Instead of just sitting there like a sitting duck, doesn't it make sense to turn on your fashers to warn or wake up the traffic coming down on you of the need to brake early? Believe me it works especia;;y with all the idiots talking on their cell phones today with their minds on everything other than the road. Also have used them when an accident has occured in front of me or if a car is broken down on the road ahead or is partly sticking out on one of the lanes.,Also a great way to get that TAILGATER off your tail. It either wakes him up, and he becomes aware of what he is doing, or if he is a wise guy, he just keeps doing it and ignorantly gives you the finger. Takes all kinds.
Anyway give it some thought. I know some of you already use your flashers in this manner, but we ALL should. Teach your wife and kids this little used trick also. IT COULD SAVE THEIR LIFE SOMEDAY, not to mention the damage that could be done to your E60.
Curious how many out there use your flashers in this manner now, and your opinion?
Netjazz
Old 02-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've been doing the "flash" for many, many, years. What's amazing to me is how many people don't do this.

99% of the time, I'll use the flashers when slowing suddenly on a highway, etc. and watch the guy behind me. He'll slow down fairly quickly (probably thanks to my use of the flashers) but he won't use his flashers to warn whomever is behind him! You'd think he'd at least copy me and learn something, right?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Members

Agreed Rudy, flashing really does wake up the driver behind you when slowing down, again especially the cell phone dreamers.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well, over here in Germany everybody is doing it. It's very nice when you aroach traffic jam and all those cars flash their hazards and brake. You see so many warning lights that you instantly know there is some kind of danger ahead, so you start doing the same while braking down.
And thank God it is illegal to use a cellphone while driving in Germany, so at least everybody has (should have) his hands free...
Old 02-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Yep, very common over here in the UK too. If anything people do it too much!

Better safe than sorry I suppose.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh ya I use it on hard stops when I'm on the freeway. I've noticed very few people doing it here in California... what suprised me was I saw a old old ford like from the early 80s do it once. All of a sudden I gave the guy respect didnt matter what car he drove but by actually "knowing" how to drive he got my respect.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributors

I haven't been doing this but I will now. This is a great safety tip. Thanks for posting it on the board.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I did the in Germany for many years. After moving to the US, I never saw anybody do it so I also stopped doing it. I'll start again now.

Jochen
Old 02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

The Bronx River Parkway, Saw Mill River Parkway, and Hutchinson River Parkway ain't no joke either! :'(

But if you really wanna test your driving skills try the Interboro Parkway (formerly Jackie Robinson Parkway)!

I love being a flasher!
Old 02-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Interesting, the automobile association here discourages drivers from doing so. The hazard lights were meant to broken down vehicles. So it might confuse others sometimes as to whether the car is moving.

However, over here too many drivers put on the hazard lights while driving in the rain. I mean everyone should have already known it is pouring, right?

Quick Reply: Are You a FLASHER