E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another question on MP3...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525d - Sapphire black - Nav Pro - PDC - Bluetooth

Dear all,

I can read MP3 (got my car in November). But it shows only the MP3 filename in 8.3 format, hence it is unreadable...
I saw screenshots with artist name, title... all the tags. Any hints how to get that ? Is it linked to using the cd or the dvd player ?

Thanks for any help ! Best regards,
Old 12-17-2005, 03:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Took me 10 days and hours and multiple attempts to get it to work. But I do not understand your problem. What it 8.3?
Are you getting an error message and if so which one?
What program are you using to write the disc?
mp3's only play in the cd player (top slot)

What options do you have on your car?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:30 AM
Members

I have nav pro (hence radio pro)
No error message, just some tracks play around half (but rarely...).
Using Nero 7.
The sound is ok, it reads all the files, just not the tags and long filenames...

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Members

Just found the options "details" though...

However, why is it not keeping the tags and display them instead of distplaying DOS like names (i.e. ACDC____~1, that's what I meant by 8.3, 8 characters, plus 3 extension) ?

Any way of burning which would at least make Idrive display long filenames ?

Thanks !
Old 12-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My shows long name file names...but I dont remember doing anything special.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

What are the options details?
Mine just shows the song name as saved by Nero which is the same as the file name. The file name is not the same as the track or song name. This is how it is displayed on the idrive. So to change this you have to change the name when you import the song into Nero but before you burn it. I have done this to remove the track number from before the song name, and to arrange songs in a certain order becasue I found that Nero always puts things alphbetically.

I downloaded the songs with windows media playerwhile connected to the internet - so that the album information is transferred to the computer.

If you just rip the disc and get the information later then the file name will be track1 when saved to Nero unless you change the file name just prior to burning.

So the file name is what my idrive displays - but when the song is actually playing then I see the artist and song title

let me know if this helps or I am way off target - or if you already fixed the problem

By the way - it is errors in burning if the song stops partway through. Try burning at a slower rate.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I have not used this very detailed instruction, but it was designed to give you full title description and not 8.3.

Let us know if it is of any value. I have another in car system and it reads full titles of albums and songs produced from my ROXIO software. I will start with that when I finally get MP3 capability and if that doesn't work I would like to know if this does. This was produced by a m5board member.

Edited to drop link since I included the file (not my smartest move)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
BMW_MP3_drive.doc (738.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Members

Thanks for the guide, I'll give it a try.

The "details" option appears when you select an MP3 track and press the button, at the bottom you have to tick "details" if you want to see the tags.

To be more accurate, I will copy screens I've seen in the forum (not mine but showing what I have and what I would lie to have...).

I have this :

And I would like this :

I'll tell you if this guide works... Thx anyway for all these tips.

Cheers !
Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributors

The 004 is the number in the file - it is set by the car
The artist and title were copied from the artist and file name from the cd when it was ripped (for example from windows media player and it downlaoded the info. Yes you can turn this off if you uncheck the details box.

What you are seeing at 001 and 002 is the file name. If you can find it on your computer it is what is before .mp3 - In nero when you put the file on the to be burned screen you can right click on it and make it say whatever you want. Then Nero sorts it alphbetically.

If you rip the songs without the album information and then later get the album information it will update the song, artist, type, etc - but windows media player will not change the file name.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 AM
Members

dgjk, got your point. However, I think it does not explain why some songs appear like in the first screenshot (i.e., LISAST~1) and some other show the longfilename (i.e. 01 - Queen - The Works...).
This is my only remaining problem.

I was burning ISO with Filename length Level 1, I'll try Level 2 that could go theoretically up to 31 characters which could be a relief.

Again i'll keep you posted. And thanks again for taking the time to answer, I appreciate.

Quick Reply: Yet another question on MP3...