E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xi Owner - Want to lower the car, what are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:18 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pumbaa
Good luck with that. We've all been thru that route.

KW V3 > CKS > springs + bilstein. Those are the only options.

KW V3 is probably the best except for cost. (from all the reviews)
CKS is great for handling, much more sporty than V3, just fall short on quality (personal experience) price is competitive
Springs + bilstein doesn't lower enough for most XI owners. Handling wise you may need consult other owners.

I will just leave this info in here for those that are interested in spending less than 10% (or more) of their car's value on suspension:

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/coilover-roll-call-kw-fk-jrz-isc-lets-hear-your-review-140959/

Important excerpts:

Originally Posted by RIHI
If you wanted to get a TRUE coilover kit just order the rear shocks with the rear springs and you're done. It is the same shock and spring for an E60 xDrive without the rear leveling suspension. For folks like me who use the wagon for work and have to load the rear cargo unit, I need the self leveling system in the car or the car will have its ass on the ground.

Originally Posted by Island Road
After speaking with the owner of ISC I will be dropping off the car shortly to work on the suspension for the E61. I will be going with a full coilover setup and utilizing swift springs all around. Once I have more info on this I will update the thread and post some pictures up.

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/jrz-coilovers-141233/

Important excerpt:

Originally Posted by Island Road
I just paid for the ISC, waiting to have have the parts to come in. Swift springs need to be shipped ect. Then it's a few visits for test fitting and R&D. I will update during the process.

My personal correspondence with Dave at ESE Tuning, one of the largest resellers of FK in the US:

Chad, yes they do work with both chassis.

Stay Tuned...

Dave

ESE Tuning

Euro Styles East, LLC

888.633.5237 Ext. 3

Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 2:49 PM
To: sales@esetuning.com
Subject: ESE Website Inquiry

Verification_Code
uT7LV
Name:
Chad
Email:
chad.mckinney@onecall.com
Phone:
Topic:
Product or application information
Vehicle Year:
Vehicle Make:
BMW
Vehicle Model:
535i XDrive
Vehicle Engine:
N54 3.0
Vehicle Drivetrain:
Automatic / All Wheel Drive
Comments:
I'm interested in the FK coilover products you have for the E60 and E61. My understanding is that the E61 XDrive products are compatible with the E60 XDrive sedan. Is this correct? Thanks, Chad
Contact Via:
email
submit
submit

And for those of you who refuse to believe there may be other suspension options out there for the E60 XDrive and immediately discredit any new information on the subject, don't fear as there are others with a similar mindset: The Flat Earth Society - Index

Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Yeah I forgot about the FK option. I remember someone posted it up that they said they will fit an XI. Just wondering how they handle and ride.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

Thanks for all the info guys! Im beating my self in the head over a brick wall If i should continue with the mods on my Xi. I really wanted to start with wheels, bumpers and suspension. But its coming out to be wayyyy to much (the damn coilovers....are the main culprit for this).

I got the N52 engine as well and an automatic trans so cosmetic mods are my only focus here.

Just read some of the threads and its seems like FK are 3rd most favorable. I cant find them, any one care to provide a link? or do you have to email them?

Last edited by Kasmo; 04-06-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:56 PM
New Members

Found the ISC ones, ISC Suspension ISC Online Store - ISC Suspension Not 100% if its those. With the coupon code they come out to be under 1000 as well.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Found the ISC ones, ISC Suspension ISC Online Store - ISC Suspension Not 100% if its those. With the coupon code they come out to be under 1000 as well.

Those are for the RWD models. E61's were available as RWD in other parts of the World, so that is why they reference E61 on the listing. The Xi-specific models are in the development process now. Island Road will be updating as the process happens. Look for his build thread in the E61 subforum here.

There are no FK coilovers available right now. All of the old models are gone and they are supposed to be introducing new models any time now.

Stay patient and keep an eye on what Island Road develops with ISC. Should be worth the wait.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by biz77
Those are for the RWD models. E61's were available as RWD in other parts of the World, so that is why they reference E61 on the listing. The Xi-specific models are in the development process now. Island Road will be updating as the process happens. Look for his build thread in the E61 subforum here.

There are no FK coilovers available right now. All of the old models are gone and they are supposed to be introducing new models any time now.

Stay patient and keep an eye on what Island Road develops with ISC. Should be worth the wait.
Thanks for clearing this up! Im excited and cant wait! I wanted to start modding right as I got my E60 few months ago. Havent done anything yet lol.

Iv been thinking about maybe trading in my Xi for a RWD model (maybe even with a manual transmission, with a bigger motor like a 535i or 545i) Down the road (the impatience is getting to me slowly lol). I do like the E60 a lot just i feel i didnt pick the wrong version of it. lol
Old 04-07-2015, 12:22 PM
New Members

The Xi is certainly more challenging than the RWD counterpart, but you live in Illinois and that AWD is nice when the snow flies. I will however say that my RWD E90 335i was a beast on snow and ice with Blizzack WS70s. I will also say that it ate a pair of rear tires over the course of one winter and it would spin the 225/40/18 rears at will going down the freeway at 60mph. Scary the first time it happened.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I really can't wait to see the new release of the FK Coilovers that will fit ourE60 XI sedans! (if that's really happening). I've been wanting to throw coils on my car for like 5 months and just can't convince myself to spend $2500+ on them..
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by biz77
The Xi is certainly more challenging than the RWD counterpart, but you live in Illinois and that AWD is nice when the snow flies. I will however say that my RWD E90 335i was a beast on snow and ice with Blizzack WS70s. I will also say that it ate a pair of rear tires over the course of one winter and it would spin the 225/40/18 rears at will going down the freeway at 60mph. Scary the first time it happened.
Dang, My first 2 BMWs were RWD and they were both 5 series lol. With all season tires. I never had trouble, tho I also didnt drive much during that time. The AWD is nice, Im starting to think maybe to get the 535ix later down the road after the car is paid off. Since if I get coils before the car is paid off I could always throw them on the next one. Or maybe a 528ix or something. Id like more power lol. Still stay in the E60 range. Maybe get one thats like a 2010 or something. Last year production.

Fingers crossed for some good news hopefully soon.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 PM
New Members

Here is mine from this past winter. It was fun. When I got the car it came with a winter set up. Im looking at wheels for the rest of the seasons now lol. Its hard since its an Xi. I got a few in mind. I really wanted Miro 111 with like 25 offset, Those look cool. But apparently I cant run those. Tho apparently also some members are running lower offset wheels on the Xi then the suggested range.

Name:  20150108_233335_zpsfndhuxcu.jpg
Views: 7458
Size:  48.9 KB
Name:  20150108_233349_zpsbkmkaypo.jpg
Views: 7531
Size:  48.9 KB

When I got my car my dad let me use his CSL replica wheels. I know they were 18's not sure how wide the offset was like 33 or 30 and this is how it looked like. I wanted to drop it so bad when I had those wheels on lol.

They poked out a little bit.
Name:  uighhhj_zps5b19f80e.jpg
Views: 7493
Size:  81.6 KB
Name:  1406002809143_zpsvvahtefz.jpg
Views: 7482
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  20140927_140107_zpsc49c5ebe.jpg
Views: 7645
Size:  77.7 KB

Quick Reply: Xi Owner - Want to lower the car, what are the options?