E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xi Owner - Want to lower the car, what are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)
Default Xi Owner - Want to lower the car, what are the options?

I know this topic has been discussed a lot on various forums and it seems all the threads are either old or no one is responding to them. So im trying here haha

To my knowledge:

-Bilstein Shocks and Lowering Springs are a bad idea. Why?

I have heard that the ride is too bouncy or rough. It even made some of the cars sit higher then stock. Ride quality is really bad. Its not worth going that route unless you dont care about ride quality. And just want to be lowered. (insert stance joke here)

-CKS Coilovers

I have read that they are a pain to put in, and since they are made to order/custom members have received parts that do not fit and align.

-KV Coilovers V3

Everyone seems to say that is the BEST way to go. Best ride quality.

Of course the reason why I am asking is because regardless all those 3 options are expensive. I will admit that when I got the car without giving it a second thought I was sure I would only need lowering springs that would cost me around 300 bucks and ride quality wouldnt be effected to a point that I would care. After getting the car and doing research I have found out that lowering springs have really bad ride quality. So when I looked at the alternatives I almost started to shed a tear lol. As coilovers are expensive in general, the ones for the Xi models take the cake by going up to 3,000 bucks. Hell for that much I could get a E30. lol

So my question is am I missing something here? Is there more coilover alternatives? Maybe discounts? etc?

I could wait for another year or two (i owned the car for about 7 months now), and maybe save up for KV3s. I am a college student that is hoping to graduate in December of this year, so maybe haha. The thing is I am also itching to get a E30 bad. I really dont want to put myself into a financial hole lol.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to the options you have already listed there are possibly a few more options. This is based on either factual information or an assumption that coilovers made for the E61 XDrive are cross-compatible with E60 XDrive sedans as long they discard the auto leveling setup in the rear and utilize a coil spring. I know that sounds very confusing because it is. Some say that this does not work while others say it will.
FK supposedly has new options coming out very soon. I'm waiting to hear back from Dave at ESE Tuning on these. The previous offerings ranged from basic models around $600 to fully adjustable stainless models with Koni absorbers for around $1,250.00. ESE Tuning told me that these will work with the E60 XDrive sedan.
Member Island Road is currently in the process of developing a setup with ISC Suspension to work on the E61. All indications are that this will be compatible with E60 XDrive sedan. Based on their other offerings, I would expect this option to be around $1,000.00 before options, such as upgraded Swift springs.
Finally, JRZ is willing to do a run of coilovers with rear coil springs. They currently only have the option of front coilovers and retaining the rear auto leveling system in the E61. This is the option that makes the KW V3s seem very affordable. I believe they were looking for ten people to make this happen.
I'm waiting patiently for either the FK or ISC options to confirm fitment on an E60 XDrive sedan.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by biz77
In addition to the options you have already listed there are possibly a few more options. This is based on either factual information or an assumption that coilovers made for the E61 XDrive are cross-compatible with E60 XDrive sedans as long they discard the auto leveling setup in the rear and utilize a coil spring. I know that sounds very confusing because it is. Some say that this does not work while others say it will.
FK supposedly has new options coming out very soon. I'm waiting to hear back from Dave at ESE Tuning on these. The previous offerings ranged from basic models around $600 to fully adjustable stainless models with Koni absorbers for around $1,250.00. ESE Tuning told me that these will work with the E60 XDrive sedan.
Member Island Road is currently in the process of developing a setup with ISC Suspension to work on the E61. All indications are that this will be compatible with E60 XDrive sedan. Based on their other offerings, I would expect this option to be around $1,000.00 before options, such as upgraded Swift springs.
Finally, JRZ is willing to do a run of coilovers with rear coil springs. They currently only have the option of front coilovers and retaining the rear auto leveling system in the E61. This is the option that makes the KW V3s seem very affordable. I believe they were looking for ten people to make this happen.
I'm waiting patiently for either the FK or ISC options to confirm fitment on an E60 XDrive sedan.
Thank you! I heard that some company is making some but I forgot the name. I think it was FK that was talked about. Once we get that all sorted, i would try to collect the info and just put all the options here, just so everything is updated and the Xi owners can see what they can do. Its a first that im hearing about E60 and E61 suspensions working interchangeably. Cant wait to get 100% confirmation! Or at least why it works and what needs to be done exactly.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I installed the JRZ coilovers for my E61 wagon. I specifically asked for the rear bags to be used. This is the same as the KW V3 for the E61. However, JRZ is willing to include springs for those that want to replace the rear self leveling suspension. I don't exactly know what else is needed to replace the self leveling suspension to a spring/damper system.

I love the way the JRZs are valved and the control and ride quality I get.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:07 PM
New Members

What did you pay for them? Im going to assume that the bags are gonna be more expensive.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kasmo
What did you pay for them? Im going to assume that the bags are gonna be more expensive.
Retaining the factory self leveling hardware on the rear of the E61 is the less expensive route. JRZs run about 2,800 with stock self leveling system left in place and about $3,300 with rear springs.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:51 PM
New Members

Retaining the factory self leveling hardware on the rear of the E61 is the less expensive route. JRZs run about 2,800 with stock self leveling system left in place and about $3,300 with rear springs.
Thats out of the question for me. Iv seen KV3s in the range of 2,500 to 3,000. And 2,500 is a lot to me to just lower my car. Hoping those other companies will respond soon Im willing to spend 1,500 max (and thats even pushing it), hoping to spend no more than 1000 which would be ideal.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Thats out of the question for me. Iv seen KV3s in the range of 2,500 to 3,000. And 2,500 is a lot to me to just lower my car. Hoping those other companies will respond soon Im willing to spend 1,500 max (and thats even pushing it), hoping to spend no more than 1000 which would be ideal.
Best bet is check the classified section of the forum and get a used set of V3's. $1500 won't get you a new set of CO's that'll fit a XI.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Best bet is check the classified section of the forum and get a used set of V3's. $1500 won't get you a new set of CO's that'll fit a XI.

He'll likely be able to buy a new set of coilovers for $1,500 before a used set of KWs pops up in the classifieds.

Last edited by biz77; 04-06-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535 xi M sport. 2012 BMW 535 Xdrive M sport 2007 Toyota Sienna FWD LE 1996 Toyota 4runner Limited R.I.P. 2003 BMW 745Li, fully loaded 2001 BMW X5 3.0, Premium pck 1997 Chrysler Town & Country AWD 1998 Mercedes S320 1995 Mercedes 560 SEL

He'll likely be able to buy a new set of coilovers for $1,500 before a used set of KWs pops up in the classifieds.

Good luck with that. We've all been thru that route.

KW V3 > CKS > springs + bilstein. Those are the only options.

KW V3 is probably the best except for cost. (from all the reviews)
CKS is great for handling, much more sporty than V3, just fall short on quality (personal experience) price is competitive
Springs + bilstein doesn't lower enough for most XI owners. Handling wise you may need consult other owners.

Quick Reply: Xi Owner - Want to lower the car, what are the options?