E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon headlights changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi, Silver Gray, Silver interior with Anthracite Maple, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Navigation, HUD, PDC, CWP, Premium, Sports, Fold down rear seats

The problem is, my headlights have never shone in that patttern before. It was after I picked it up from service that I saw it had changed.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by westie
...............________
............../
............./
_______/
|
|
|

This is the pattern I now see, the period are spaces and not where the light shines. Perhaps the bulbs lasted as long as they have because I never use daytime running lights. I appreciate your responses.
That pattern is normal. The left side is supposed to be slightly lower than the right side, so that oncoming drivers are not blinded by your HID output. If they weren't like that before, thank whoever (or whatever) aimed your headlights properly.

As for the color output, perhaps your bulbs are on the way out. If you think that's the case, order some replacements online.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi, Silver Gray, Silver interior with Anthracite Maple, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Navigation, HUD, PDC, CWP, Premium, Sports, Fold down rear seats

Is this change brought about mechanically or via software?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Sorry man, it's a case of "you thought it was different before", but it's always been the same.

I would be very surprised if it was any different prior since they are calibrated to be that way from the factory.

As for the aim, you can manually adjust it via the hex on the headlight, but really, leave it alone. It's how it's suppose to be. Address your true issue, which is your bulbs are old as hell.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Why don't you let them checked ? Is don't quickly and costs almost nothing.

Even Xenon's with auto leveling you have manually set them correct.
Basically everytime you take a headlamp out you should let them be checked, as when reinstalling them you have some play in how to position them, the autoleveling will not correct this.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by tom_il
Why don't you let them checked ? Is don't quickly and costs almost nothing.

Even Xenon's with auto leveling you have manually set them correct.
Basically everytime you take a headlamp out you should let them be checked, as when reinstalling them you have some play in how to position them, the autoleveling will not correct this.
Check what? Base on what he said, his cutoff is correct and how it should be. The only thing to change would be the aim height. But that doesn't get affected when you take your headlights out and reinstall. The only exception is if your mounting bracket for the headlights is somehow loose, which is pretty unlikely. Having said that, the mounting bracket in place, the headlights can only be "correctly" re-installed in one way. If not, the evidence of the headlights not installed properly is more than evident through how it lines up via the fender, the hood, and the front bumper.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Check what? Base on what he said, his cutoff is correct and how it should be. The only thing to change would be the aim height. But that doesn't get affected when you take your headlights out and reinstall. The only exception is if your mounting bracket for the headlights is somehow loose, which is pretty unlikely. Having said that, the mounting bracket in place, the headlights can only be "correctly" re-installed in one way. If not, the evidence of the headlights not installed properly is more than evident through how it lines up via the fender, the hood, and the front bumper.
yes check the aim height. Don't see how you can tell its right without using equipement.
When reinstalling you have some movement possible alowing to line it up both at the top and bottom as you correctly mention but bot everyone will notice the differences when it isn't alligned like it was, the differences arn't that huge.
This movement can change the aim height. Move it abit more to the front at the top alone and it will aim the light more to the ground.
When taking mine out I check the markings of the screw on the plastics so I can place it back identically.

Checking aim heights takes like 30seconds and it costs little so why not ?