E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon headlights changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi, Silver Gray, Silver interior with Anthracite Maple, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Navigation, HUD, PDC, CWP, Premium, Sports, Fold down rear seats
Default Xenon headlights changed

Hello,
Hopefully someone could give some good advice. I recently took my 2007 530xi to the dealership to have them replace the wheel bearings. My car was there for almost two weeks as it was over the holidays and they had to get the parts too. When I picked up my car, I noticed immediately that my xenon headlights were not the same as they had been. Instead of the unobstructed, clear, bright bluish glow I had been appreciating for 7 years, my headlights are now yellower and the top part of the dispersion pattern is obstructed with a big black V, and it's lower on the driver's side. It is harder to see when driving at night. It was almost like someone had replaced my headlights. Of course the dealer is denying anything was done to my headlights and I am having them look at it again. But I know my car and it was immediately different. I have personnally adjusted the vertical height of the headlights and it is not the same. Has this happened to anyone else? I just want my original xenon headlights back. Any input is much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Wow that would really suck if someone switched out your headlights! I doubt that would happen at a dealership but I guess you really never know what all can go on. Another thing to consider if you are suspecting the light output has changed. The bulbs start to do some really funky things as they get old and just before failing. Obviously, this doesn't apply if you feel your actual headlights have been swapped based on an external view in the daylight. The dealer should be able to tell you whether or not your bulbs are going bad.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Silver Gray, Silver interior with Anthracite Maple, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Navigation, HUD, PDC, CWP, Premium, Sports, Fold down rear seats

Hi tonyb, thank you for replying. What kinds of funky things would the xenon lights do before failing? How long do they last anyway?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

does your light pattern look something like this?:

_________
-------/
Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

does your light pattern look something like this? (ignore the h's, theyre there as spacers.)

. hhhh _________
-------/
Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Like Kyle says above and also you will see a color change
Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

If your bulbs haven't been changed for 7 years, they definitely need to be changed.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Members

Hi, yes the light pattern looks like that, with the driver side much lower than the passenger side and the glow is not as bright. Sounds like I need new bulbs? I'll be going back to BMW dealer this week.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Members

...............________
............../
............./
_______/
|
|
|

This is the pattern I now see, the period are spaces and not where the light shines. Perhaps the bulbs lasted as long as they have because I never use daytime running lights. I appreciate your responses.

Last edited by westie; 01-20-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The above is actually correct. Your driver side is suppose to be lower than passenger side so you don't blind oncoming drivers.

This is probably one of those case where doing something to your car has caused you to be paranoid about breaking something else. Having said that, you definitely need to change your bulbs out. Though HID bulbs are rated to be longer lasting than halogens bulbs, I recommend average drivers to change them out every 18 months to 2 years for maximum performance.

Three years is probably fine, but I wouldn't stretch it past that at all.

Quick Reply: Xenon headlights changed