E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

xDrive Comes to the UK on the E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Please see below the UK press release from yesterday. Finally, the UK is getting xDrive on the saloons - all the 3 series and the 530xd to begin with.

BMW 5 Series:
New Models, new Engines,
Diesel All-Wheel Drive and
Even Greater Product Substance.
Introducing three new models, updated engines, a wider range of
equipment as well as new colours and options, BMW?s upper midrange segment is mak-ing a powerful start into the new model year.
With these new models and features, the BMW 5 Series as of autumn
2005 comprises a total of no less than 13 Saloons and 10 Touring models
natur-ally all fulfilling the EU4 emission standard. All diesel models are equipped with a maintenance-free particle filter.
The model range extends from the 520d with its four-cylinder turbodiesel power unit (120 kW/163 hp) all the way to the four-door M5 sports
car fea-turing a truly unique and outstanding V10 power unit (373 kW/507 hp).
New model: the V8 540i Saloon.
The driving power in the 540i in the genuine sense of the word is the smaller of the two V8 power units featuring VALVETRONIC and double-VANOS in-tro-duced for the fist time in the BMW 7 Series in spring 2005. Maximum out-put from 4,000 cc is 225 kW/306 hp, maximum torque of 390 Nm/287 lb-ft comes at 3,500 rpm.
Fitted as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, the new 540i acce-le-rates to 100 km/h in 6.2 seconds and reaches a top speed of 250 km/h or 155 mph cut off electronically. Fuel consumption is 11.0 litres/100 km or 25.7 mpg Imp in the EU cycle, certainly a moderate figure for a dynamic V8 sal-oon of this class.
The level of features and equipment is the same as in the 535d.
Top-of-the-range 550i with an upgraded V8 power unit replacing
the 545i.
The V8 power unit featured in the new 550i displaces 4,799 cc and develops maximum output of 270 kW/367 hp, with a mighty 490 Nm/361 lb-ft torque peak at 3,400 rpm. With its manual gearbox, the 550i accelerates to 100 km/h in a fast 5.5 seconds and takes just 5.2 seconds to sprint from 80?120 km/h in fourth gear. Top speed of both the Saloon and Touring is 250 km/h or
155 mph (limited electronically).

Despite the significant increase in the car?s power and performance, fuel consumption of the 550i, at 11.1 litres/100 km or 25.4 mpg Imp in the
com-bined EU cycle, remains almost at the same level as on the former model. And at the same time the 550i now complies with the US ULEV II emission standard, and not ?just? with the LEV standard, as before (EU4 in Europe).
Both the BMW 540i and the BMW 550i come as standard with a manual
six-speed gearbox, six-speed automatic transmission with Steptronic
being available as an option. The BMW 550i is also available, as yet a further op-tion, with BMW?s six-speed SMG transmission.
Offering this kind of car with a manual gearbox, BMW ranks alone versus its main competitors also in this respect.
530d: Enhanced fuel economy despite a significant increase
in power.
The new straight-six diesel engine in the BMW 530d (Saloon/Touring) with
its all-aluminium crankcase and third-generation common rail with piezo fuel injection technology, has proven its qualities ever since spring 2005 in the BMW 7 Series. Developing maximum output of 170 kW/231 hp at 4,000 rpm and peak torque of 500 Nm/369 lb-ft all the way from 1,750?3,000 rpm,
this power unit offers the highest level of output density and the highest torque of any diesel engine within the BMW 5 Series.
The new engine accelerates the 530d Saloon to 100 km/h in just 6.8 sec-onds, giving the car a top speed of 250 km/h or 155 mph.
Despite the increase in engine power by 10 kW/13 hp and a flatter, more muscular torque curve, fuel consumption has been reduced to 6.7 litres/
100 km (42.2 mpg Imp) in the EU cycle, although engine displacement remains the same as before. And it almost goes without saying that like all BMW 5 Series diesels, the 530d complies in full with the EU4 emission standard thanks to its maintenance-free diesel particle filter fitted as regular equip-ment.
530xd Saloon/Touring: First 5 Series diesel with all-wheel-drive tech-nology.
The new 530xd is the first BMW 5 Series diesel with all-wheel drive,
BMW?s xDrive all-wheel-drive system ensuring truly outstanding driving dynamics and agility.

With its electronically controlled multiple-plate clutch, BMW xDrive distrib-utes the flow of power between the two axles perfectly within fractions of a second. The data and parameters for controlling the flow of power are deliv-ered by
the DSC suspension control system as well as the car?s engine man-agement. As a result, xDrive is able to spread out drive forces perfectly between the front and rear wheels for optimum driving stability and traction.
The 530xd accelerates to 100 km/h in just 6.6 seconds and has a top
speed of 242 km/h or 150 mph. Average fuel consumption in the EU cycle
is 7.6 ltr/100 km or 37.2 mpg Imp.
520d: The powerful four-cylinder diesel for the BMW Business Class.
Starting in autumn, the by far most powerful 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel
(120 kW/163 hp, 340 Nm/251 lb-ft) in the market will ensure particularly efficient dynamics and performance also in the BMW 5 Series.
Equipped with a six-speed manual gearbox as standard, the 520d Saloon accelerates to 100 km/h in just 8.6 seconds and has a top speed of 223 km/h or 138 mph. But despite this sporting performance, average fuel
consumption in the EU cycle is a mere 5.9 ltr/100 km or 47.9 mpg Imp
Starting in early 2006, the 520d is also to be fitted with BMW?s six-speed automatic transmission featuring Steptronic technology.
Further standard features include ABS, DSC complete with DTC and DBC,
a tyre defect indicator, eight airbags, air conditioning, and electric window lifts front and rear, as well as a CD radio. The car?s high level of regular equip-ment is largely the same as in the BMW 523i.
BMW 5 Series with an even wider range of standard features.
The 2006 model year BMW 5 Series can be distinguished inter alia by their new iDrive Controller now featuring a black leather cover. A further new fea-ture is the remote control of the luggage compartment lid in the Saloon now opening and closing electrically from the driver?s seat at the touch of a but-ton. And last but not least, an engine start/stop button on the instrument panel now also comes as standard.
The additional safety and comfort functions of BMW?s latest generation of DSC Dynamic Stability Control are likewise standard in all BMW 5 Series as of autumn 2005 (see also Section 3.7).

New colours, new look, new features.
The Monaco Blue, Deep Green and Barbera Red metallic paintwork colours replace Orient Blue, Oxford Green and Chiaretta Red on the BMW 5 Series. The six-cylinder models, in turn, now come with chrome-plated rods in their kidney grille, and the regular seats boast BMW?s new Linea cloth design.
New wheels in parallel styling are available both on the 18-inch mixed-sized tyres of the 5 Series Saloon and on the standard 18-inch tyres of the 5 Se-ries Touring.
ISOFIX child seat fastening including the option to deactivate the front
pas-senger airbag is now also available on the front passenger?s seat.
The 5 Series comes as an option with Comfort Access which, in conjunction with the engine start/stop button, enables the driver to lock and unlock
the car and start the engine without even taking the key out of his pocket.
The optional High-Beam Assist (see Section 3.7), in turn, enhances active safe-ty to an even higher standard than before.
Starting in autumn, the BMW 5 Series will furthermore be available
with BMW?s M sports suspension as part of the M Sports Package
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

I cant see many people buying an XI model in the UK.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I would - the benefit of that 4 wheel drive as used so well in the Audi Quattros would be great when getting the DMS power down on a cold winter morning on country roads.... - and I don't necessarily want the added weight of a Range Rover or X5...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Members

I would also like x-drive. After 17 years driving Range Rovers, I do miss the traction (but not anything else!).

If my current E61 535d could get the same treatment as the new 530d is going to get - it should be quite a beast. Strange that it's not mentioned in press releases. Perhaps any further mods would not let it pass the EU 4 emission regs?