E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtf happened

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came out of Kroger and Crunk the car,when it started violently shaking for about 25 seconds, I quickly turned it off. When I attempt to turn it back on, I get nothing and the lights dim, a bystander says it sounds like the alternator,.but I never got any control messages. Am I f@#$ed!?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 528iFLYguy
I came out of Kroger and Crunk the car,when it started violently shaking for about 25 seconds, I quickly turned it off. When I attempt to turn it back on, I get nothing and the lights dim, a bystander says it sounds like the alternator,.but I never got any control messages. Am I f@#$ed!?
That was yesterday - did you get your car started?

Based on your signature are you 'driving' a 528? What year / # miles / warranty - no warranty / other issues preceding this event / any subsequent iDrive warning or alert messages after the failed start?

Could be a "simple" battery needs replacement. I'm sure you've read the collection of posts about those issues. If not, today is a good day to start - as soon as you provide additional information I'm sure you'll be greeted with experiences, opinions, and advice from forum members.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

Read the codes. So you dont have to change whats unnecessary.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Members

08 528I,57, 000 miles .car shakes a little on idle but nothing as violent as it shook last night, I didn't get and subsequent error messages,but a big exclamation point, I'm going to go and try and to start it again by a miracle, I don't think it's the battery because all the electronics still work.what else.could it be
Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I just realized when you said "5 died" you were referring to the car! I was expecting to see some story about a crash that killed five people.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

08 528I,57, 000 miles .car shakes a little on idle but nothing as violent as it shook last night, I didn't get and subsequent error messages,but a big exclamation point, I'm going to go and try and to start it again by a miracle, I don't think it's the battery because all the electronics still work.what else.could it be
Electronic could still work and batt not start car.

If you don't get this resolve don your own you should take that car to Performing Imports in Roswell. Here in Atl we are blessed to have prob THE BEST indy shop in the country.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Members

So I jumped my battery and my car crank up, but when I went to put it in "D" and "R" it goes right back into Park..While it was "P" i revved the engine to about 4500 rpms, and it finally went into Reverse. So I called the tow truck off and procedded to drive it to the dealership, but as I drove off, I felt my transmission slipping followed by a "Transmission malfuntion warning on I drive" so I went from a dead battery to a Transmission malfunction in less than 30 minutes. that seems craaaazzzyy
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Members

So I jumped my battery and my car crank up, but when I went to put it in "D" and "R" it goes right back into Park..While it was "P" i revved the engine to about 4500 rpms, and it finally went into Reverse. So I called the tow truck off and procedded to drive it to the dealership, but as I drove off, I felt my transmission slipping followed by a "Transmission malfuntion warning on I drive" so I went from a dead battery to a Transmission malfunction in less than 30 minutes. that seems craaaazzzyy
Sounds like a bad battery to me. The modules are very sensitive to low voltage. The TCM may not have initialized properly.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Check battery. Then check coils. Could be valvetronic - a bad eccentric shaft sensor.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Check battery. Then check coils. Could be valvetronic - a bad eccentric shaft sensor.
+1 had this issue once and it was one of my coils

Quick Reply: wtf happened