E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wrecked tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='493268' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:14 PM
Sixcard, why do want to change tire brands again....
Don't know what you mean "again". Only changing for the first time ... and only on half the wheels!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Bucket had a good sense reply as many others hinted. Made appointment to simply replace the Conti in kind.

Other comments;

My policy covers any tire replacement. I can transfer the coverage to a new owner for $25. Coverage good to 5 years (no mileage limit), cost $899, was dealer arranged at car purchase.

Have not completed the deal with coverage folks yet but she was quite matter-of-fact on the phone, said dealers and most big name tire people will recognize the reference number she gave me.

Stay tuned, will reply with venom if all does not go well.

P.S. the (only got one quote) quote for the second Michelin PS2 was $423.60!

I am much obliged for all the input.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I agree with you on the Continentals. I had a set on my E46. They were pretty noisy after 10,000 miles and rode rough. I replaced them with Goodyear F1 Eagles which I liked enough to buy a second set. My 545i has a new set of free Dunlop run-flats, courtesy of BMW/Dunlop, so I have not yet tried Michelins.
Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Its a bad idea to put different tires on the front and rear of a car. Every brand of tire is unique in their tread design and pattern-each has various tread blocks and materials which will not make for optimum handling on a car if you have differnet set of forces at work in the front and rear of a car. You would be surprised how much difference g-forces can change based on what rubber you have down-having 2 differnet g-forces during spirited driving can throw off a cars balanced dynamics-especially one so precise as bmw
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='493984' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:11 PM
Its a bad idea to put different tires on the front and rear of a car. Every brand of tire is unique in their tread design and pattern-each has various tread blocks and materials which will not make for optimum handling on a car if you have differnet set of forces at work in the front and rear of a car. You would be surprised how much difference g-forces can change based on what rubber you have down-having 2 differnet g-forces during spirited driving can throw off a cars balanced dynamics-especially one so precise as bmw
My Sport Package includes different tires front and rear.

Since, at least, some of the operational functions/requirements of front and rear tires are different (except maybe on 4WD), why do you get the same tire for front and rear, when you buy a set? Does a new set of tires designate which are front or back, if not staggered?

I think that argument is weak.

You will have to elaborate on your g-force argument and the balanced dynamics phrase, I am no rocket scientist.

I would agree that some spirited driving aficionados might notice if they changed out only the fronts or rears. But would they not just adjust to whatever combo they had on a new set if they did not know the fronts and rears were not the same brand?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Banned

Your car came with different brand of tires on the front and rears? Unlikely. You can have a different size tire on the back as long as its the same tread pattern.

And again of course it doesnt matter which tires go on front or rear if they are the same thing obviously-

I am not saying I can calculate g -forces however I am referring to g-force because it is the most commonly used and known term when it comes to car handling but essentially each piece of tread block applies a force to the ground to create handling. If it is balanced on all 4 corners than you have consistent forces balanced in each directoin. However you change tread patterns and you change forces on the tires and I am not saying you cannot drive but I am saying a true enthusiast would not do this. You may not notice but ideally you want the same tireson all 4
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='494221' date='Nov 14 2007, 12:05 PM
Your car came with different brand of tires on the front and rears? Unlikely. You can have a different size tire on the back as long as its the same tread pattern.

And again of course it doesnt matter which tires go on front or rear if they are the same thing obviously-

I am not saying I can calculate g -forces however I am referring to g-force because it is the most commonly used and known term when it comes to car handling but essentially each piece of tread block applies a force to the ground to create handling. If it is balanced on all 4 corners than you have consistent forces balanced in each directoin. However you change tread patterns and you change forces on the tires and I am not saying you cannot drive but I am saying a true enthusiast would not do this. You may not notice but ideally you want the same tireson all 4
Why us lord....why us!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributors

What ever boils your crawfish, RWB!

Click! (As in I hung up.)