E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wow, lot's of problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

I have no idea what would be next, I'm having tooooo much fun. I have a 1973 911 with 32,000 miles, and a 2004 GT3, both of which I track. My wife has a Boxter and a 2006 530XI, which sits next to my 550 I, which sits next to my tow car , a 8.1 3/4 ton suburban. Way tooooo much fun.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 03 Accord coupe EX-L 5MT

hey peeps. new to this forum.

gonna be scraping my 2k3 accord coupe soon in favour of my first beemer, the E60.

saw the thread title, and assumed id be researching possible problems, but seems like there's just "glitches" with everyones car, and not many problems.

heard about winsheild being delicate, but other than that, nobody really goes into the "glitches" per say.

I ask, can some of you outline the small glitches and problems youve had wiht your cars. Im planning on buying used, and not sure what BMW covers under warrenty and till when. i don't want to have to fork out money for a new car, and drive around in a used one.

thanks in advance
Old 09-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by ShaTR' post='334563' date='Sep 14 2006, 06:38 PM
hey peeps. new to this forum.

gonna be scraping my 2k3 accord coupe soon in favour of my first beemer, the E60.

saw the thread title, and assumed id be researching possible problems, but seems like there's just "glitches" with everyones car, and not many problems.

heard about winsheild being delicate, but other than that, nobody really goes into the "glitches" per say.

I ask, can some of you outline the small glitches and problems youve had wiht your cars. Im planning on buying used, and not sure what BMW covers under warrenty and till when. i don't want to have to fork out money for a new car, and drive around in a used one.

thanks in advance
ShaTR, I am on my third Bimmer and everything has always been covered under warranty, service included. When the oil is low I drop in for a free top off by my service rep. He does not even take it into the garage. Last week the coolant level was low and my service rep topped it off in two minutes and I was on my way. My old 540i went through many cup holders fixed for free. The e60 cup holders are much better than the e39. My thinking on buying BMW's is that you are better off not getting the first year production of a new model. If you are buying used and have an extended warranty only major items are covered, ie. no cup holders. You should check with BMW for what the extended warranty covers. The new car warranty covers everything but tires or damage caused by the driver like my many broken windshields. Although, I have read here where a certain tire brand (I don't recall, maybe dunlaps) have been replaced for free.

You may have read my broken windshield thread to get the impression they are soft. I tend to drive "safely" in the 85 - 95 mph range on the highway a lot. I think this has something to do with my windshield problem. Most of my rock hits have occured at over 80 mph. Although, I have always driven like this and never had 4 broken windshields in less than a year.

I agree with others here, having driven many car makes and models, nothing drives like a BMW. It lives up to the trade mark, the ultimate driving machine. The bimmers I have owned have been very reliable. If reliability is of primary importance to you, then Honda and Toyota may be in order. Most of the people on this forum are willing to sacrafice some reliability for that ultimate driving experience, which is difficult to discribe.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='334607' date='Sep 14 2006, 10:29 PM
ShaTR, I am on my third Bimmer and everything has always been covered under warranty, service included. When the oil is low I drop in for a free top off by my service rep. He does not even take it into the garage. Last week the coolant level was low and my service rep topped it off in two minutes and I was on my way. My old 540i went through many cup holders fixed for free. The e60 cup holders are much better than the e39. My thinking on buying BMW's is that you are better off not getting the first year production of a new model. If you are buying used and have an extended warranty only major items are covered, ie. no cup holders. You should check with BMW for what the extended warranty covers. The new car warranty covers everything but tires or damage caused by the driver like my many broken windshields. Although, I have read here where a certain tire brand (I don't recall, maybe dunlaps) have been replaced for free.

You may have read my broken windshield thread to get the impression they are soft. I tend to drive "safely" in the 85 - 95 mph range on the highway a lot. I think this has something to do with my windshield problem. Most of my rock hits have occured at over 80 mph. Although, I have always driven like this and never had 4 broken windshields in less than a year.

I agree with others here, having driven many car makes and models, nothing drives like a BMW. It lives up to the trade mark, the ultimate driving machine. The bimmers I have owned have been very reliable. If reliability is of primary importance to you, then Honda and Toyota may be in order. Most of the people on this forum are willing to sacrafice some reliability for that ultimate driving experience, which is difficult to discribe.

Good luck with your decision.
thanks, and i do realise the driving experience of a beemer. im not new to them at all, but i just have never owned one before. my parents and family on hte other hand.... only german cars.

anyways, how long is beemers new car warrenty??? im assuming if i pickup one thats under the KM/months, it is/can be tranfered to me. am i wrong??

cheers!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5/550iSedan/warranty.htm

With BMW Ultimate Service, you don?t have to drive your BMW like a luxury car.

BMW Ultimate Service is a collection of services that is included with the purchase of a new BMW at no cost. It?s been designed to keep maintenance costs down, add to your ownership value and provide peace of mind. It includes:

BMW Maintenance Program: It?s one of the most comprehensive maintenance programs in its class. It covers all factory-recommended maintenance, oil service and fluid service, as well as items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear ? such as brake pads, brake rotors and wiper blade inserts ? for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='334611' date='Sep 14 2006, 10:41 PM
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5/550iSedan/warranty.htm

With BMW Ultimate Service, you don?t have to drive your BMW like a luxury car.

BMW Ultimate Service is a collection of services that is included with the purchase of a new BMW at no cost. It?s been designed to keep maintenance costs down, add to your ownership value and provide peace of mind. It includes:

BMW Maintenance Program: It?s one of the most comprehensive maintenance programs in its class. It covers all factory-recommended maintenance, oil service and fluid service, as well as items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear ? such as brake pads, brake rotors and wiper blade inserts ? for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
koo, so its the same as my mums E46 (im in canada btw, so its 100 000km i guess) alright, well, from what ive been reading, seems that most problems were worked out earlier on in the E60's life. If i buy a used one, its most likely gonna have those issued addressed already. so i guess its just a matter of finding the one im going to buy.

thanks all!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ShaTR' post='334623' date='Sep 15 2006, 05:27 AM
...If i buy a used one, its most likely gonna have those issued addressed already. so i guess its just a matter of finding the one im going to buy...
If you buy it from a BMW dealership, they will have done a software update before you pick up the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='334809' date='Sep 15 2006, 05:29 PM
If you buy it from a BMW dealership, they will have done a software update before you pick up the car.
Is that true? I bought my E61 from a dealer in July this year, but the software seems to be relatively "old" (e.g. I can't play MP3 CDs; the gearshift indicator only says "D" without indication of the gear selected, ...).

Should I go and complain?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well, there is no such Bulletin, so the don't HAVE to do the update before they sell the car.

But if they are a good dealership, and usually certified BMW dealerships are good, usually , they make the update, so that you will not come back and report problems. So, to have satisfied customers, they usually do the updates and then sell the car.

It's like the VPC. They fix known problems before the car gets delivered. The only big difference is, VPC = BMW, dealerships are not, but as I said, they should do that before selling the car and I have heard lots of stories about used cars that got selled and were up to date on their software...
Old 09-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jim911' post='315036' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:26 PM
I have no idea what would be next, I'm having tooooo much fun. I have a 1973 911 with 32,000 miles, and a 2004 GT3, both of which I track. My wife has a Boxter and a 2006 530XI, which sits next to my 550 I, which sits next to my tow car , a 8.1 3/4 ton suburban. Way tooooo much fun.
Jim...You have too many cars. This is obvious by the fact the 1973 911 only has 32,000 miles on it. I believe I can give it a good home. It will go with my wives 2001 Boxster S and my 1997 911 (993) Cab. Let me know when I can pick it up.