E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you use this torque wrench on your BMW

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
this same torque wrench caused a nightmare for me more than once. Didn't work right. You do not need a torque wrench for small jobs and changing plugs is like a 1 out of a 10. Have you ever seen a tire shop put wheels back on with a torque wrench? I guess if you don't know how to torque something down and get the feel for it then sure you can use a torque wrench. I see a lot of guys wearing gloves to change a tire and spark plugs too.
Before torque wrenches were a common item in a tool box, guidance was given in instruction manuals regarding critical items such as spark plugs.For a new plug it was tighten until some resistance was felt as the copper washer was about to be compressed and then tighten another quarter-turn.I never stripped any cylinder head threads using that method.With experience,you get a "feel" for tightening different size bolts,or I should say,some people do,some don't.A friend never did,he could strip a wheel bolt because he used an extension bar that was not necessary.If you use the OEM tool,it's also difficult to over tighten a wheel nut or bolt.
Regarding tyre fitters,they usually over tighten with an air tool and you are unable to remove a wheel using the OEM wrench,you then need an extension bar.Most tyre fitters now use a torque wrench here in the UK.
Tip: If you ever replace a cylinder head gasket,always use a torque wrench and follow the correct tightening sequence.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

New update: SES light popped up with the same code again today. Again, it is telling me that cylinder 4 has a misfire. With that said, I think I tightened the plugs as tight as I could and my misfiring issue is not due to not using a torque wrench!

Okay, here is my question to you guys: I took my car to the shop, told them my code reader is saying cylinder 4 has a misfire, paid $150 and the problem is not solved. I need to take it back and have them find the way to fix that same problem. Obviously, they did not fix the problem I brought my car in for. Can they charge me again to find out what they can do to fix my cylinder 4 misfire mystery? Please help me be reasonable and not get riped off. Unfortunately for me, the economy is affecting my lifestyle and can't afford to throw money around anymore. :-(

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

just remember that its good practice to release the tension setting of torque wrenches when not in use.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I plan on changing my spark plugs soon, how many pounds of torque do you guys set it at?
Persian,

I just replaced mine a few months ago. The correct amount to tighten them is on the spark plug box, i can't remember the exact number but what i do remember is that it is listed as Nm and not in foot pounds. I had to search google for a foot pounds to nm converter, which was relatively easy to find. Also, you will need a special spark plug socket for our 08 535i's. I searched every single auto parts store in a 100 mile radius and not one store had the proper the socket. Its spark plug socket with a VERY thin side wall. The reason you need it is because once you get down into the tubing the spark plug is tilted at an ever so slight angle, making it impossible to remove even with a universal joint. I ordered the socket from Tooltopia.com
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium Package, Grey Leather, Rear Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by E60I
New update: SES light popped up with the same code again today. Again, it is telling me that cylinder 4 has a misfire. With that said, I think I tightened the plugs as tight as I could and my misfiring issue is not due to not using a torque wrench!

Okay, here is my question to you guys: I took my car to the shop, told them my code reader is saying cylinder 4 has a misfire, paid $150 and the problem is not solved. I need to take it back and have them find the way to fix that same problem. Obviously, they did not fix the problem I brought my car in for. Can they charge me again to find out what they can do to fix my cylinder 4 misfire mystery? Please help me be reasonable and not get riped off. Unfortunately for me, the economy is affecting my lifestyle and can't afford to throw money around anymore. :-(

Thanks for your help.
Is the ignition coil connection solid? Try swapping coil packs and see if the misfire code follows.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by turboawd
just remember that its good practice to release the tension setting of torque wrenches when not in use.
+1 !
Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I plan on changing my spark plugs soon, how many pounds of torque do you guys set it at?
23nm is what I remember.

+1 on the special spark plug socket.
You need a thin-walled 12pt. 14mm socket to get the OEM Bosch plugs out. I bought one from Burger Motorsports for $26 shipped and had no problems whatsoever.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

This is the socket I ordered, hoping it will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310373579521...84.m1497.l2649
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Just go to your local auto store and get a socket for $1. I have a whole set for like $10. I was just in Advanced Discount Auto and saw spark plug wrenches for $.99 come on guys don't make it complicated. I have changed well over 100 spark plugs in my life. I just changed 6 plugs on my E86 and it took me about 20 min tops. The plug will have a little rubber grommet in it that will catch the end of the plug so you can pull out and insert. It's a fairy easy job. I mean I taught my wife how to do all of this stuff so if something ever happens she'll be in "the know"
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Just go to your local auto store and get a socket for $1. I have a whole set for like $10. I was just in Advanced Discount Auto and saw spark plug wrenches for $.99 come on guys don't make it complicated. I have changed well over 100 spark plugs in my life. I just changed 6 plugs on my E86 and it took me about 20 min tops. The plug will have a little rubber grommet in it that will catch the end of the plug so you can pull out and insert. It's a fairy easy job. I mean I taught my wife how to do all of this stuff so if something ever happens she'll be in "the know"

REALLY??!?!?! Do you think you are the only one here that has ever changed a spark plug or try to find a part at a local parts store????

I've been to every parts store in my area except NAPA which was closed on the sunday I looked and the only place that "supposedly" had what I was looking for was Sears. Turned out the socket wall on their product is too thick to get between the plug and a metal sleeve built into the cylinder head. I too felt "it's not complicated" because I "have changed well over 100 spark plugs in my life" too - so imagine my frustration when I ended up wedging the socket in the cylinder head and spent the better part of an afternoon getting it out.

It's not complicated - IT'S DIFFERENT and BMW made it that way. A few people have figured this out while others are asking for help. So instead of patronizing comments why don't you post a link from any of the typical Auto Parts stores where one could get this N54 compatible socket for $1 like you just said?

Quick Reply: Would you use this torque wrench on your BMW