E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you pay more for a MT E60

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530xi touring
Model Year: 2006
Engine: 3 liter

I own a XI station wagon, and it has an automatic. That is a compromise for my wife to drive it too. It is a Home Depot car, a ski mobile, a disposable car, and a car I throw anywhere. It is not an ultimate driver car. All of my other cars (5) have manual gear boxes.

I would never buy a slush box for myself (my wife, a different matter). Never, hear that BMW? I will buy a used 6MT and never a new slush box.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:18 AM
jao
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Have you even looked at KBB for the zip code where the car is located? Between that and the price of other 550i selling in the nearby area will give you a ball park figure. Unless you have to have the manual then it's whatever price the seller is asking for.
I have researched KBB values and selling asking prices for the car I am looking for (I have been looking since February). Not only are the two numbers often do not agree with each other, but I also see a big variance in asking price. Also there is no way to know exactly how much the cars sold for. One seller even said, the book does not buy the car. In the end it's whatever is agreed on between the seller and buyer.

And that's really what I am asking. I know what the asking prices are( and what Kelly and Nada says is "fair" - whatever that means), what I would like to know from the community is how much knowledgeable enthusiasts are wiling for OFFER for the car. Prices are always negotiable, so even for a manual, sorry, but I wont pay the asking price, especially if it's inflated.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by jao
And that's really what I am asking. I know what the asking prices are( and what Kelly and Nada says is "fair" - whatever that means), what I would like to know from the community is how much knowledgeable enthusiasts are wiling for OFFER for the car.
I don't think anyone buys a car sight unseen. Therefore, I don't think you're going to be able to get an answer to your question. I know I wouldn't make an offer without seeing the car first.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

I believe the reality of the minimal number of BMW's with a manual is because the buying public of today has probably never owned or learned to drive with a manual. I have been driving BMWs for over 40 years. In all those years, all the previous cars were manual which was the preferred transmission over autos.

I now have a 2010 Msport auto. I regard the Sport mode as a clutchless manual with all the performance benefits of a manual but with much more efficient shift points. Personally, I would not go back.

How many previous BMWs you ask: 10.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Cricketts
I believe the reality of the minimal number of BMW's with a manual is because the buying public of today has probably never owned or learned to drive with a manual. I have been driving BMWs for over 40 years. In all those years, all the previous cars were manual which was the preferred transmission over autos.

I now have a 2010 Msport auto. I regard the Sport mode as a clutchless manual with all the performance benefits of a manual but with much more efficient shift points. Personally, I would not go back.

what car do you have?

535i or 550i?

if its the 535i then AUTO helps acceleration because of no boost loss between the shifts.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:42 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Cricketts

I have the opposite opinion based on similar experiences.

Drove an E30 for years, manual 5 speed. I still have one. Next car was an E46 M3 SMG II, I liked having the sequential gearbox with throttle blips and all that but it did not compare to the conventional 6 speed. Long term the hydraulic parts on the SMG systems are quite expensive to maintain.

As for the E61, the automatic is a really numb driving experience to me, the manual is a lot more engaging. I realize the 5 series is supposed to be more luxurious than the 3 series but I still think its a waste to buy a car with an auto box if the manual option is available.