E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you go for E60 petrol or diesel and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today the cost of fuel are high and maintanance,
The diesels are costly to buy over the petrol's and higher cost in repairs.
Petrol drive better smoother & faster.

so i like to see your views and why you think you would choose one or another.

I have a 530i petrol e60 and i don't regret at all in any ways.

thank you guys
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Depends on annual mileage.

Over 15,000 leans towards Diesel, below leans towards petrol. Simple economics.

Not sure about repair cost differences, they are much the same, as for petrol being faster, depends on your definition, in the important 40-70 acceleration,range the torque of a diesel makes it much quicker. Top speed is the same but irrelevant.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Diesel for sure.

Sure they're a couple more thou to buy, but you get your money back when you sell up anyway.
For your extra investment in diesel though, you get two things.

>Diesel engines last 200-250k miles with ease, longer if you do frequent oil changes. As a rule of thumb, diesel engines last twice as long as their petrol counterparts.
>Pound for pound, you can do about 25% more miles with a diesel vs petrol, in terms of fuel costs, more if you chip the engine.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Contributors

Nice to have the choice ... here in the USA we are limited to X5 oil burners ... and a few left over 2011 3'ers. No telling if 2012 3 series Diesels will be available to us.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with petrol and probably will go with petrol if I purchased another E60/F10. I don't drive long distances and as much as most so gas costs aren't too bad. I just moved out to Sweden from Cali and most rides here are Diesel especially in the Touring models. Selling my ride will probably be harder in comparison to those that have Diesel out here but don't plan on selling anytime soon anyways.

However... If in the future I have me some kids and use the car a lot more I would probably go with Diesel.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Members

one thing i don't like about diesel cars is the sound of the engine, specialy in older cars like 2003 up to 2008. in my opinion i think if you don't drive alot everyday doing like 100 miles a day and not care about money then go fo petrol and keep regular servicing on the car you shouldn't have a problem, i've been told by a bmw mechanic if you service your bmw right on time you get 1,000,000 miles out of any petrol or diesel cars, any german cars should do it if serviced right.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Good question.

I personally could go either or with my next car. It would depend so much of the deal. I don't drive long distances very much, and if I did, I would be ready to pay for the fuel. I consider motoring as my hobby .

It's funny that you people consider BMW diesels more reliable than petrols. Here in Finland it is vice versa. Swirl flaps, clogging DPF's, faulty thermostats, breaking turbos, cracking exhaust manifolds etc.

- Antti -
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

In North America (US/Canada) I would go for gas, in Europe I would go for diesel.

Our diesel here in Canada is crap, tons of sulfur.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Members

All of my cars until now were petrol and most manual (except of one).

Now I have an automatic diesel (535D) and I love it, especially the huge torque and how easy it is to overtake at any time.
The 40mpg on the highway do not hurt either
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Good question.

I personally could go either or with my next car. It would depend so much of the deal. I don't drive long distances very much, and if I did, I would be ready to pay for the fuel. I consider motoring as my hobby .

It's funny that you people consider BMW diesels more reliable than petrols. Here in Finland it is vice versa. Swirl flaps, clogging DPF's, faulty thermostats, breaking turbos, cracking exhaust manifolds etc.

- Antti -
Sounds like you prefer petrol, am i right?

Quick Reply: Would you go for E60 petrol or diesel and why?