E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you change any switch positions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Only a minor gripe but I find I'm always switching the PDC off with the button after reversing as it stays on for ages, however this requires you to take your eye off the road. I wish the button was situated near to the I drive controller so It could be pushed without looking. Also the fog lights switches require a bit of fumbling around again eyes off the road. I'd like to see a panel containing these switches just in front of the gear lever and angled upwards so you don't have to lean forward. Other than that it all works well.

Anyone else think the same?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='230706' date='Jan 27 2006, 04:09 PM
Only a minor gripe but I find I'm always switching the PDC off with the button after reversing as it stays on for ages, however this requires you to take your eye off the road. I wish the button was situated near to the I drive controller so It could be pushed without looking. Also the fog lights switches require a bit of fumbling around again eyes off the road. I'd like to see a panel containing these switches just in front of the gear lever and angled upwards so you don't have to lean forward. Other than that it all works well.

I had to look at the manual a few times to locate teh switch for the heated steering wheel. Now that I know where it is, I don't have to look at it, just feel for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

I'm sure I'm a minority here but I HATE the location of the window switches on the 5er since the E39. They belong on the center console for any vehicle offered in a manual transmission. Door windows switches are a hold over from the old American cars with bench seats and slush box transmissions. And if the window switches were always placed on the center console we might still have rocker style switch available.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I don't have much complaint about the placement of things. I think the worst feature is the "clunkiness" of the processor controlled by the joystick. I get into trouble when it looks like the processor hasn't taken the command, and I try it over. I end up doing things I didn't want to do and going places I didn't want to go. Overall, I think the iDrive concept is fine, but I think the processor is a wolf wolf.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='230792' date='Jan 27 2006, 07:36 PM
I'm sure I'm a minority here but I HATE the location of the window switches on the 5er since the E39. They belong on the center console for any vehicle offered in a manual transmission. Door windows switches are a hold over from the old American cars with bench seats and slush box transmissions. And if the window switches were always placed on the center console we might still have rocker style switch available.
ImolaRedM -

I couldn't agree more. That i-Drive knob takes up so much space on the center console.

One ergonomic change I would like to see is having the i-Drive/Navigation screen tilted towards the driver; this would make the entire cabin more driver-centric and provide that cockpit feel found in previous BMW models (e.g. E39, E46 etc.)
Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='230825' date='Jan 27 2006, 11:57 PM
One ergonomic change I would like to see is to having the i-Drive/Navigation screen tilted towards the driver; this would make the entire cabin more driver-centric and provide that cockpit feel found in previous BMW models (e.g. E39, E46 etc.)
But, then my wife would not be able to watch DVD's as well.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='230826' date='Jan 27 2006, 08:59 PM
But, then my wife would not be able to watch DVD's as well.
Driver-centric cockpit > Happy Wife
Old 01-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='230828' date='Jan 28 2006, 12:02 AM
Driver-centric cockpit > Happy Wife
OK, but you'll have to tell her for me.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

lock/unlock doors should be on the door.
E.g. - only drivers door unlocked when leave the car in the garage - go out later to get something out of the car you have to ahve the keys or get in the car to unlock the back doors - it would be easier just to open the drivers door to unlock the rest of the car
this is my only small gripe
Old 01-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='230706' date='Jan 28 2006, 12:09 AM

I'm with you on the fog lamps, and the graphics on them are too similar which compounds the problem.

Quick Reply: Would you change any switch positions?