E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would you buy another E60?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I love my E61 and I just purchased it off lease. I did this for a few reasons:

1) I think the current 5 is to big and the suspension is to soft. The way to improve it is to get the sports package with 19inch wheels and suspension control. This really drives the cost of the new car.

2) They stopped importing wagons.

3) My current e61 drives like new and at $35,200 with cpo and 4 year 0.9% financing it seems like a better economic deal. The only problem I have had with the car is the fuel system (535 twin turbo). I have had 3 to 4 reduce power events. I the spring they change the fuel pump and some of the injectors. I hope that my problems are over but can live with a few more failures since it never leaves you stranded. The engine is great it has tons of power and gets good millage. You feel more connected to the car than the new 5 with its 8 speed transmission and isolated ride.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I'd say no, I would not buy another e60. The one I have is not "aging" at all in that another/newer e60 does not add any valuable/desirable features to make trading for another make any sense. When it comes time to trade, I am thinking about e6x M6, f1x 650i xDrive or even Porsche Panamera P4S as the next car.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

I've had my 2008 535 over a year now, & hands down best car I have ever owned! Only the 1 HPFP replacement, & 3 injectors, but no other issues. I got the title 6 months ago, so I 'm gonna hopefully run till 100k, when the warranty expires, then try to get an f10 550 cpo by then, if it is within reach for me.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

NO!!!

I absolutely hate the 10 months I have owned this car. Started off in month 3 with oil leaking like a sieve from behind the alternator, then MPM frying for no reason (don't say water.....we had a drought for 6 months). Car is hosting a party of electrical gremlins that no dealer can figure out. Airbag failure (idrive warning), brake booster failed (car already had recall done), control arms shot, 3 bad coil packs.

I checked with the servicing dealer (was a 1 owner when I purchased it), and the car had been well maintained. Maybe it was just built on a friday.

Luckily I purchased an aftermarket warranty thru USAA, and have had everything fixed (except current ongoing issues). But out of all my cars that I have owned in the past (MB, Volvo, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Buick and Olds), this has been the most problematic POS ever.

I purchased the car to drive, not to fix. So far it is a waste of money, and most likely will be traded after it comes out of the shop this time.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM
New Members

I had my LCI 550 on the market for about 2 months. I am glad the financing fell through for a couple of folks because I decided to keep it instead and sell my truck instead. It was hard to justify having a 911 and a 550. But then, I realized that I was just worried about what others thought. I love these cars, and I haven't spent much at all on them, it just looks like I have.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

The question can mean different things:
1. Would I keep my e60 and buy another one (i.e. have two e60s): NO
2. Would I go back in time to when I bought my current e60 and buy something else: HELL NO.
3. Would I sell my e60 and buy another e60: Hmm Not unless its an M5.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I did. My first e60 was an xi, and I was never really satisfied with the handling of the all wheel drive. I hemmed and hawed around on possible suspension mods that were not cheap and might or might not be better. When it hit 100K, it didn't seem worth it at that point, so I started looking around. After driving just about everything comparable in the $30K-$40K price range, there just wasn't anything else I really wanted to drive. Traded for an 08 535i with sport suspension and multi-contour seats...the two big things the xi was missing. Worried a little about the fuel injection problems but so far the car has been perfect and it's a lot of fun to drive.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Yes!

Wait......

Yes!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport 911 carrera cab 2006 Toyota 4 runner 740I sport - sold 735il - sold 528e - sold

Would I buy another E60 ? I drive a 08 550i sport. I live the looks inside and out and the performance of power and handling is awesome . At 65K miles , I've had not problems to mention ....BUT. I am not overall happy with the transmission in this car . Sport mode is strong but searches for shift point . Leaving it in standard drive is the same way, any hill doing a speed less than 35mph make this transmission unsure of it's gear.
I'm not selling mine anytime soon but after owning 5 BMWs since 1984.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by 2008550idavid
Would I buy another E60 ? I drive a 08 550i sport. I live the looks inside and out and the performance of power and handling is awesome . At 65K miles , I've had not problems to mention ....BUT. I am not overall happy with the transmission in this car . Sport mode is strong but searches for shift point . Leaving it in standard drive is the same way, any hill doing a speed less than 35mph make this transmission unsure of it's gear.
I'm not selling mine anytime soon but after owning 5 BMWs since 1984.

I have to say the transmission in my 535 is just about perfect. It never hunts gears and is always in the right gear. The only time I use sport mode is when entering a highway or before I pass someone.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another E60?