E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would going from 18s to 20s slow me down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have a 530 and have 18s on and was looking at 20s and know technically it is like being in a "higher" gear by increasing tire size without compensating in the engine. But is this size diff enough to slow down acceleration. I really cannot afford to lose power in the acceleration as it is piss poor already!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='422396' date='May 8 2007, 09:29 PM
So I have a 530 and have 18s on and was looking at 20s and know technically it is like being in a "higher" gear by increasing tire size without compensating in the engine. But is this size diff enough to slow down acceleration. I really cannot afford to lose power in the acceleration as it is piss poor already!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your 20" wheels likely weigh more but that's about it. After 3-4 weeks you won't notice the difference. I've gone from 16" to 20" and the ride suffered a bit, but did the car feel slower?....Not really.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

It certainly will, slow down for the babes to check out your blings blings
Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='422396' date='May 8 2007, 09:29 PM

Typically changing your wheel size doesn't necessarily change the tire circumference. You would go to a tire with a narrower profile and keep somewhat the same outer circumference. Too big a tire will rub,
Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='422448' date='May 9 2007, 02:09 AM
It certainly will, slow down for the babes to check out your blings blings
My thoughts exactly!!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by Veight' post='422622' date='May 9 2007, 07:13 PM
Typically changing your wheel size doesn't necessarily change the tire circumference. You would go to a tire with a narrower profile and keep somewhat the same outer circumference. Too big a tire will rub,
Further note : A bigger diameter wheel when matched with lower profile tyres can keep the same rolling circumference as a standard wheel ( also meaning no need to re-calibrate your speedo). BUT generally a bigger wheel is also WIDER and more power is required to move the car due to increased surface area in touch with the road.

So short answer YES acceleration will decrease slightly,but generally this is not noticeable to most drivers.Plus you will benefit from better handling on the low-pros.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ressla' post='422649' date='May 9 2007, 03:03 PM
Further note : A bigger diameter wheel when matched with lower profile tyres can keep the same rolling circumference as a standard wheel ( also meaning no need to re-calibrate your speedo). BUT generally a bigger wheel is also WIDER and more power is required to move the car due to increased surface area in touch with the road.

So short answer YES acceleration will decrease slightly,but generally this is not noticeable to most drivers.Plus you will benefit from better handling on the low-pros.
Then why do funny cars have slicks 2 feet wide when they are trying for fast acceleration? Why not use bicycle tires then?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='422671' date='May 9 2007, 11:37 PM
Then why do funny cars have slicks 2 feet wide when they are trying for fast acceleration? Why not use bicycle tires then?
short answer: because those are not cars. Those are just some abominations of the 4 wheel concept.

Long answer: MAybe because the power is so huge that the only way to put it down is to have gigantic wide tires. Note that the huge proportions come especially from the width of it. And with this you simply cannot use too short (as in height) wheels as it will loose grip too much because it will spin it more easily and to oblision and you cannot have also a small tire sidewall because once the enormous thrust applied to the wheel (which btw has nothing in common with normal road cars) it needs to have realative high tire sidewalls because it needs the rubber flex for it. Otherwise the rim will hop and hop and loose contact with the surface.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='422681' date='May 9 2007, 03:48 PM
short answer: because those are not cars. Those are just some abominations of the 4 wheel concept.

Long answer: MAybe because the power is so huge that the only way to put it down is to have gigantic wide tires. Note that the huge proportions come especially from the width of it. And with this you simply cannot use too short (as in height) wheels as it will loose grip too much because it will spin it more easily and to oblision and you cannot have also a small tire sidewall because once the enormous thrust applied to the wheel (which btw has nothing in common with normal road cars) it needs to have realative high tire sidewalls because it needs the rubber flex for it. Otherwise the rim will hop and hop and loose contact with the surface.
Yes, but will the slicks fit on the E 60? Might be some rubbing?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='422671' date='May 9 2007, 03:37 PM
If you watch them on TV you will see that those same 2feet wide tires will become 1 foot wide when they are on the gas.

Quick Reply: Would going from 18s to 20s slow me down?