E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the HUD worth $1000 extra?
Yes
46.15%
No
53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Is this worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

This is what Happen 8 Dec 06---->"Ok first off I think im going to need counseling, and dont be mislead by my title. But I was out riding today and decided to go and talk to my dealer about the Clear Bra. The district manager was there and told me that my car was in and was about to go to the shop to put in the wood grain extras and ipod and things and to get it programmed. So I said can I see it , and she said yes of course, so when I went to look at the car it was so nice (Olivian Green by the way ) and all the options were there except for the STEPTRONIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long story short they have to build me another car and the BMW Plant in MUNIC is closed for the Holidays until Jan 4th. So I can't get my car until then. But as a incentive they are putting in the "Illuminated BMW Door Seals"for free. So its not so bad right "

So since theyare going to remake it I'm just curious if I should get the HUD option? But is it really worth it or is it just for the lazy person who doesnt want to glance down at the dashboard when they are driving? And how many people really use theres? Because cant it be a deterent on the bottom of the screen that keeps you looking down? I dont know but I have to know by today what im gonna do so please give me some of your thoughts. Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

it just a new hitec toy that is not going to be used that many times
I think keeping your eye on the road if you are doing over a ton (100)
Old 12-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

A strange thing about HUD.

a) Those that have it can't imagine being without it.

b) Those that don't have it wonder what all the fuss is about.

IMHO this poll therefore would've been better titled "Do you have HUD?" because you're gonna get EXACTLY the same answers.

ABC
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='368590' date='Dec 18 2006, 08:39 AM
A strange thing about HUD.

a) Those that have it can't imagine being without it.

b) Those that don't have it wonder what all the fuss is about.

IMHO this poll therefore would've been better titled "Do you have HUD?" because you're gonna get EXACTLY the same answers.

ABC
At the moment, its about 85% not worth it - but im sure your logic is right. Ive been in an M5 with it on - neat, but not worth ?900+

cheers

steve
Old 12-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Agree with ABC and we have had lots of HUD discussion threads. Surprised that pinguhk did not dig them all up

HUD adds to the driving experience. But I got it because I were trifocals and normal dash is hard to adjust eyes to. HUD is perfect for me.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='368659' date='Dec 18 2006, 10:33 PM
Agree with ABC and we have had lots of HUD discussion threads. Surprised that pinguhk did not dig them all up

HUD adds to the driving experience. But I got it because I were trifocals and normal dash is hard to adjust eyes to. HUD is perfect for me.
I ran out of work time so I will start again next day. these post are good after 1 to 2 year.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

I have it in my C6 Corvette. I thought it would be gimicky when I picked out the car but found myself relying on it - especially when its coupled with navigation directions etc. I would say that if you get it as an option, it will be something that you soon depend on...never have it and you probably wont miss it.

I have to ask though; lighted door sills are pretty expensive themselves. Why not get the HUD as a "sorry for our screw up" concession? While you can always add these door plates at a later date, the HUD is a very expensive and time consuming MOD if you decide on it later (new windscreen, projector, installation reprogramming etc...). If you were wondering how the driving experience is changed with HUD, lighted door sills DEFINATELY beg that same question!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It worth $1000 if it also display infrared images on screen. If it cannot show infrared images, it should comes with the Navigation system. That's my thoughts... and why I didn't get it.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

If you have Nav, it is a very nice companion, its much easier to see the turning dierctions in front of you, rather than looking down and to the side, especially at night in poor weather. If your leasing the difference in payment is very minimal...
Old 12-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

I'll agree with the other posts. It should really be included with NAV. If you have NAV get the HUD. If I didn't have NAV I would be unhappy paying $1000 for the HUD.

Quick Reply: Is this worth it?