E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It Worth It??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Sometimes I wonder if its worth getting the Great Handling and Performance you get in a BMW and put up with all the other things that go wrong with the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Redelivery 2/22/05-5,000+ miles,SOS button dosen't work,Automatic Headlights don't shut off,Noise coming from air pump,Radio kept coming on by its self,Air Bag passenger side,A/C keps shuting off,CD stops playing,Nav screen goes blank, 4 TCU Units,couldn't program in the address in the Nav after 4 tries used the other master key and everything worked fine,4 service calls in 7 weeks. Going in again Thursday for another TCU Unit and other work. Problems with Rain Sensor.
cheers
vern
Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

I guess it goes with the territory of deciding to drive a Personal Computer. Ive just ordered mine and I'm hoping that when it comes in October, theve ironed out the bugs.

Who am I kidding.....
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by vern' date='Jul 19 2005, 02:15 PM
Sometimes I wonder if its worth getting the Great Handling and Performance you get in a BMW and put up with all the other things that go wrong with the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Redelivery 2/22/05-5,000+ miles,SOS button dosen't work,Automatic Headlights don't shut off,Noise coming from air pump,Radio kept coming on by its self,Air Bag passenger side,A/C keps shuting off,CD stops playing,Nav screen goes blank, 4 TCU Units,couldn't program in the address in the Nav after 4 tries used the other master key and everything worked fine,4 service calls in 7 weeks. Going in again Thursday for another TCU Unit and other work. Problems with Rain Sensor.
cheers
vern
[snapback]150649[/snapback]
I have had only problems with the tire punture system and that with non runflat winter tires.

But then again I missing most of the computer goodies.

I sure that CIP 18 or 19 will do the trick for you.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Had zero problems. ...with I-drive. But very little gadgets.

But now some belt start to shriek in engine bay. Hope that it's minor issue.

Skaffa
Old 07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Yes it's worth it.

I've had no problems so far. Neither have most owners. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Fortunate so far at 7k miles no driving related issues. The few things I have had issue with are some of the implementation of features and some of these are being corrected by the CIP upgrades. I expect a few others to be remedied as well. Whew, what a relief and the enjoyment is always there .
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by vern' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:15 AM
cheers
vern
[snapback]150649[/snapback]

Believe me you get some sort of bugs with every brand of car, no exceptions !!!
Unless you go for some very simple 5 yrs old car. But todays car are full of electronics and it will be even worst in the future. The only way to avoid such problems is to get a previous model make. The newest always takes like 4 yrs to get absolutelly bugless.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Are you kidding?

I've owned 2 Acuras and 3 Lexus and none of them ever had a single thing go wrong, period. I just took them in for routine oil changes and maintenance as suggested by the dealer. Aside from replacing wear & tear items such as tires, brake pads, and belts @ 90,000 miles... perfect track records on all those cars.

BMW quality control people should go take lessons in Japan. I've had more problems in 6 months of ownership on my E60 than the rest of my cars in my lifetime combined.

But.... boy does it drive great.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:46 AM
Are you kidding?

I've owned 2 Acuras and 3 Lexus and none of them ever had a single thing go wrong, period. I just took them in for routine oil changes and maintenance as suggested by the dealer. Aside from replacing wear & tear items such as tires, brake pads, and belts @ 90,000 miles... perfect track records on all those cars.

BMW quality control people should go take lessons in Japan. I've had more problems in 6 months of ownership on my E60 than the rest of my cars in my lifetime combined.

[snapback]151097[/snapback]
But this is what I'm talking about your Acuras and Lexuses are not probably the latest modeles and if you are talking about 5 year old cars those have hardly any computer and electronics back then. You can compare electronics and software problems of todays E60 with a car that does not have those at all.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:46 AM
Are you kidding?

[snapback]151097[/snapback]

So the question is, if you had to buy a new car today to replace your 545, knowing what you know about how nice it drives and the bugs it might have, would you buy another BMW or go back to Lexus/Acura?

Quick Reply: Is It Worth It??